Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: KORG MR-1 pt.II  (Read 106784 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: KORG MR-1 pt.II
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 09:01:27 AM »
so tell us Ed...
how was the maiden voyage, and what do you think of DSD recording ?

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 02:52:12 PM »
i do like dsd.  i've listened to my mcfadden trio + bernie worrell a few times now.
same room, same pa, same mics and cables and same hanging location in the room. with a bonus of a fairly well behaved audience.
there is definately something to dsd, my first impression was there seemed to be extra clarity.  i don't know how else to describe it other the sound of the recording was cleaner and more clear.
i have used the same rig for 3 years now mk-41 > vms 5 >v-3 and same rig 24 bit for 2 years.  i am very familiar with how things sound.  the new rig mk-41 > vms 5 > mr-1000 line in @ 1 bit 2.8MHz is a whole new world.
probably going to let busman do his magic in the very near future.

OK DSD PEOPLE

lets start trading dsd recordings.  i'm assuming snail mail dvds will be the way to go to get started.

anyone want my mcfadden trio + bernie worrell recording let me know.

besides mountain biking and skiing is there a cooler hobby than live music archiving?  i don't think so.

i love all you boys and girls!

thanks
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 04:49:21 PM »
you gots it!
I dont know if its all in my head or not, but I like it.
:)

i've got a years worth of DSD masters.  lots of panic, ratdog, phil...and various jazz / funk shit.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 07:55:03 PM »

I've got quite a few myself.  By happy to send them on.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »
thanks guys!
i would love to get some trading going.
to get started i would like to hear some mule, phil or allmans.
all i have so far is the mcfadden trio w/ bernie worrell to trade.
thanks
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 08:26:56 PM »
I've got Phil from...10-10 this year.
abb from 8-3 / 8-8
Mule from 9-11

all 2007

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 08:46:14 PM »
Just saw this.  So are they selling the new Korg units as their playback system?

http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Whats_New.html

SUPER DUPER ANNOUNCEMENT :   We are very excited to offer a new audio format for the two channel enthusiast (the last and best 2 channel format?!?).  We will be doing live two channel recordings using a custom modded battery powered double speed DSD recorder (5.6Mhz sampling frequency....twice that of SACD).  We will be selling battery powered playback systems and will be distributing our recordings for playback on these modified machines.....these machines will be identical to the original recorder and the digital information will not be altered in any way......there will be no optical/laser digital path for purest sound.  Imagine double speed DSD master tapes played on a battery powered modified player directly into your amps.....this will be better than any $100,000 turntable system.....The mics will be custom modified and hardwired directly into the recorder (no connectors).  We will have more information as we go.  I expect release of the modded recorder/playback system with software sometime in October.  Music will be varied.....all types except symphonies.....which will be too expensive to record (at least for now).  The fully modded playback system is targeted around $1500 and the software around $25 per release....absolutely no limiting, roll-off filters, copy protection, etc....you will get the pure raw double speed DSD data that was originally recorded....... We are talking super transparency and super dynamics.....This has never happened in the history of recorded music.  No one besides the original recordists and a few friends have even had access to original master tapes.  If you have ever heard even a copy of an analog master tape or have heard some DSD demos (like Ray Kimber's) then you have an idea of how incredible this will be. 

Since this machine can also play all PCM formats up to 24/192 then the hard drive on the machine can also be loaded with up to 60 hours of CD quality music....or 24/96 DADs or DVD-A material....whatever......and having it played back on a hard drive based battery powered super modded machine may actually sound better than most any CD playback system.....And also you can record your own music on it and transfer records to double speed DSD or 24/192 for archiving and preserving your old vinyl and......even has a headphone amp.....salivating yet?!?   stay tuned!!!

We are also going to make one off CDs, DVDs (at 24/96) and DVDAs (24/192) available of all the recordings.  Some people will not want to buy the hard drive master player but will still want to hear these incredible recordings on their players.  We will be distributing a few hundred free samplers of the first recordings on CDR and DVD in a few months.  Email me if you want one.  You can also make copies of this initial sampler for your friends and people in your audio clubs, etc

Occasionally....music mics record

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 02:12:53 AM »
With much thanks for nearly a month MR-1 deck loan from TS member gmm6797 the Technical MR-1 Review 'rough cut' edition is ready for first viewing. 

PLEASE BE KIND as not everything is finished after nearly 6 days working on it, all links on the page are not yet correct, and I have some useful stuff still to add.  But hope to get most of this done next day or two so maybe give it a look and check back in a few days for more finished version with corrections (some from TS member suggestions?).

MR-1 TECH REVIEW AT: www.sonicstudios.com/mr-1revw.htm

What you should find most interesting is full disclosure of MR-1 input gain settings in chart form, how MR-1 gain set works, MIC/LINE input signal limits, and balanced/unbalanced input noise plots with/without external preamplifiers.

As always, corrections and suggestions welcome.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 02:37:54 AM »
awsome data guysonic.

many thanks

g

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 10:01:22 PM »
How difficult is it to see and adjust the levels in stealth conditions?
My eyes are not what they used to be . .  I have difficulty with my R-09.
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 10:03:23 PM »
How difficult is it to see and adjust the levels in stealth conditions?
My eyes are not what they used to be . .  I have difficulty with my R-09.

IMHO, easy, especially if you lock both channels to change at the same time

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 12:57:38 AM »
meters on m1 are awsome with good options on metering
-individual L/R gain while rec
-fully adjustable back light to nice and bright or slick dim
-meters are very easy in the dark,
-press hold button up while on hold and meter lights come on while rec for amount of time you have set to.
-mine comes on for 5 sec then off.

metering is just awsome on this unit, big and adjustable lighting.

it would be great to see you in the dsd realm master jedi jo
its where you belong.

good luck

g

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 01:20:32 AM »
2.5 hours internal battery life will not cut it.
What are people using as a stealth solution?
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 07:22:24 AM »
any 5v 1amp source.
lots of those "USB packs" seem to work.  wouldn't be difficult.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2007, 05:11:10 PM »
any 5v 1amp source.
lots of those "USB packs" seem to work.  wouldn't be difficult.

I have just done some measurements.  MR-1 is said to draw ~1/2 ampere at 5 volts = 2.5 (running) watts,  measured ~.25 amps charge when off, NOT running. 

Connected to charger draw turned on running goes to .45 amps so charging/running together seems the maximum; near KORG's spec power.

Charger drops out to then run on the internal battery at ~4.6 volts external applied charger voltage, but ICON on LCD shows still charging until external voltage drops down to 4.1 volt.  At 4.1 input volts the BATT ICON shows the battery bars.

This means MR-1 hard connected to 4 NiMH cells will NOT work well to fully use NiMH cell's full capacity (to ~4.2 volts) before deck disconnects charging/running 4.6 volts and depending make/condition of NiMH cell, leaving as much as 50% external cell capacity untapped

Now I'm waiting for the battery to fully charge so just deck running power is measured to know external battery power budget for just running the deck.

BATTERY SIZING 101:
If looking for a battery pack for running so many hours, and know the external pack internal battery size, do the math with battery voltage x ampere capacity = ~watt capacity of the external pack maximum. 

Sometimes the selling retailer does not list the pack's internal battery voltage and ampere capacity, but try to find this going to the pack maker's web page technical description for best chance of finding this.  Most of these external rechargeable packs use just ONE 3.7 volt lithium battery at some ampere capacity.

Actual available watts at 5 volts pack output will be (10%-25%) less than that, but you'll know at least ideal run time by dividing external pack watts by 2.5 deck watts.  So be conservative in estimated running time from any pack until fully 'rundown' tested.

TIP: New packs need 2-3 use to ~60% remaining, recharges to fully wake up to maximum capacity, and then will last up to 2 years before losing 20% or more capacity/runtime ability. 

So SUGGEST best to BUY NEW having 50% MORE capacity than expected to actually need.

PERSONAL EXAMPLE: My own BC-MT4 for Microtrack deck with USB output plug can be instead fitted with 4 x 1.7 mm locking barrel connector required by MR-1 power jack.  I planned to do this if there's time. This external pack has ~40 watt capacity using 4 C alkaline cells that when divided by 2.5 watts needed by MR-1 = ~16 hours 'ideal' runtime.  This pack 'recharges' in seconds anywhere with fresh cells inserted.

16 hours runtime is far more than most recordists need for doing an evening concert or session, and then returning home, but exactly what's very needed for those doing days of recording in remote locations where recharging external packs is not so practical, or simply wanting recording runtime reliability as moot issue.

AND, however convenient, reliable, and powerful, disposable flashlight cell type packs seem not environmentally kind! 

This is less an issue with packs using much larger capacity D cells having 35-50 Hr recording time, and needing 'refreshing' every year or two(!) if used every month for recording one or two events. 

What's interesting is most lithium rechargeable pack batteries fully work same 1-2 Yr. length of time, and have lost enough reliability/capacity for owners to be disposed for cheaply getting another!  So in some situations, about the same burden on the environment using either battery type, or so I am thinking.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:25:39 AM by guysonic »
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.169 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com