Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which recorder?  (Read 8175 times)

Offline hardpan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Which recorder?
« on: June 28, 2018, 09:48:41 AM »
Hey everyone. I'm looking for some advice on which recorder to buy a my first. I was initially looking at the Roland R-07, along with Church CA-14s and either battery box or his small preamp, in order to record stealth in the occasional cases I would need to. The band I plan on recording has an open taping policy, so I won't really have to stealth too often. That said, I recently found a set of Nakamichi CM-300s with CP-1, 2 and 4 capsules, at the advice of a taper I was talking to who used these microphones for his entire time recording the Grateful Dead. Having said that, I am looking for advice on a recorder. The Roland along with Church preamp would run me around 400 bucks. For a little more money, I could get something like the Sound Devices Mixpre-3 or Zoom F4. As I understand it, these have preamps built in, and I would imagine would allow me to make better recordings once I learn how to operate them. What would you guys recommend?

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Which recorder?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:08:39 AM »
What's your budget?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline hardpan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:11:26 AM »
Sort of right around the price of the mixpre3 and zoom f4. I was at around 400 with the Roland and preamp, so another 150 could get me one of these or maybe something else if you have any recommendations. Figure 500-550.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »
Sort of right around the price of the mixpre3 and zoom f4. I was at around 400 with the Roland and preamp, so another 150 could get me one of these or maybe something else if you have any recommendations. Figure 500-550.
The truth is as your learning curve grows you can make excellent recordings with either the MixPre3, Zoom f4, or the Roland R-07. That said, without  >:D being a factor, I'd lean heavily toward the MixPre3. It gives you mic in and line in via XLR and also via 1/8 input which give you great flexibility as you grow your mic collection. Chances are if you like the hobby, you will add mics somewhere down the road. The MixPre3 has many options and is a very nice tool to learn on. If you are looking for a definitive answer, there is none, as there are many excellent decks on the market today.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline heathen

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »
MixPre-3 can't do a pair of mics plus stereo soundboard feed simultaneously though right?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
This is a sick rig for what you want to do. Right in your price range.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186928.0
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 12:41:50 PM »
Did you already buy the naks?
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline hardpan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 12:44:51 PM »
Did you already buy the naks?

Yes I did, should get them in a couple days.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »
That said, without  >:D being a factor, I'd lean heavily toward the MixPre3.

Actually, the mixpre-3 is small enough to be used in many stealth situations.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 01:37:18 PM »
MixPre-3 can't do a pair of mics plus stereo soundboard feed simultaneously though right?
The OP didn't specify anything more than a 2 mic setup which the MixPre3 will do. The F4 would be the only 4 channel out of the 3 decks mentioned but that was not a factor in the OP's post.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline hardpan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 01:55:22 PM »
Also trying to figure out what would be better for my application, the mixpre 3 or 3m. The biggest thing going for me for the 3 is that I could control it with my phone, would be nice. But the 3m is a hundred bucks less.

Offline heathen

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 02:43:05 PM »
The OP didn't specify anything more than a 2 mic setup which the MixPre3 will do. The F4 would be the only 4 channel out of the 3 decks mentioned but that was not a factor in the OP's post.
You're right...and looking back at the original post it seems he would like something to also use stealth which pretty much rules out the F4 (of course it is POSSIBLE, but not ideal).  If two/three channels is sufficient, and the MixPre-3 falls within budget, that seems like a no-brainer.

Of course, using the CA14 mics he'd still likely need a separate battery box or preamp with either the MixPre-3 or F4.  In that case maybe, just maybe, it would make sense to get an even smaller recorder like an M10, R-05, or R-07, and use a separate preamp or battery box as the situation dictates.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 02:43:33 PM »
Also trying to figure out what would be better for my application, the mixpre 3 or 3m. The biggest thing going for me for the 3 is that I could control it with my phone, would be nice. But the 3m is a hundred bucks less.
I have given up on using bluetooth control from a phone on my Mixpre6 until the software is updated. There is no way to lock it on hold during recording, so the app brings up one more STOP button that I could hit by accident. Not worth it.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline hardpan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 02:50:32 PM »
You're right...and looking back at the original post it seems he would like something to also use stealth which pretty much rules out the F4 (of course it is POSSIBLE, but not ideal).  If two/three channels is sufficient, and the MixPre-3 falls within budget, that seems like a no-brainer.

Of course, using the CA14 mics he'd still likely need a separate battery box or preamp with either the MixPre-3 or F4.  In that case maybe, just maybe, it would make sense to get an even smaller recorder like an M10, R-05, or R-07, and use a separate preamp or battery box as the situation dictates.

I think for the time being, I am abandoning the stealth idea. The band I plan on recording allows open recording, and I'm getting the nakamichi 300 mics, so I plan on trying to learn recording openly.
I have given up on using bluetooth control from a phone on my Mixpre6 until the software is updated. There is no way to lock it on hold during recording, so the app brings up one more STOP button that I could hit by accident. Not worth it.

Thanks for the heads up on that! I may end up going with the 3M.

Offline heathen

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 02:51:59 PM »
If your plan doesn't involve stealth, why not get a four channel recorder so you can get a soundboard feed in addition to your mics?  There are plenty of good options...Zoom F4, MixPre-6, several Tascams, Marantz, etc.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com