Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone using a SD to CF adapter?  (Read 11947 times)

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Anyone using a SD to CF adapter?
« on: December 16, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »
I have looked around at CF prices to upgrade my current CF card for my MTII to something more than 4gb.  I know there are some CF cards in the 8gb size that are cheap, but it seems like SDHC card deals are everywhere these days and now recorders appear to be making there way to SD format away from CF format.  Is anyone using one of these adaptors?  My video camera uses SDHC, my spare digital uses SD, all my friend's cameras use SD (save the one that got a Sony), and everything seems to be SD these days.  I was thinking about investing in an adaptor for the MTII and use all SD cards.  Here is one eBay auction that says it's based in the States with Free Shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SDHC-SD-2-CF-CARD-TYPE-II-ADAPTER-READER-32GB-8GB-16GB_W0QQitemZ260331994639QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item260331994639&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Retail prices for something similar are $25 at placed like B+H.

Thoughts?
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Anyone using a SD to CF adapter?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 03:30:52 PM »
Crap, just realized there is a media subforum.  Mods, please move.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 08:14:31 AM »
I have one of those adapters; probably the same one you found on eBay.  I tried it with my SD 702 and I would never, ever use it for a live concert because I've seen occasional media errors.  The errors don't occur very often (once every couple hours maybe?) but it's just not worth the trouble.  However, I do use it for recording loudspeaker test data where a media error is not a problem.

When I got my recorder, I didn't like having to buy new media either since I already have a camera that uses SD cards.  But the CF cards are not that more expensive than the SD cards (especially in the larger sizes), and memory is cheaper every day.  Plus I know that the SD cards are for photos, the CF for music, and as a result I don't tape over our vacation pictures thus incurring the wrath of She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Offline headroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:31:06 AM »
Compact Flash is a parallel Device SD is Serial and the Sound Quality is not the same, Even the speed of the CF Card does make a difference, faster sounds better. But this is related to a real High End Chain to hear the difference.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »
Compact Flash is a parallel Device SD is Serial and the Sound Quality is not the same, Even the speed of the CF Card does make a difference, faster sounds better. But this is related to a real High End Chain to hear the difference.

Makes no sense
Errors may change the sound, but the speed, in and of itself, would not.

FWIW, even 24/96 is quite a slow data rate compared to burst photography, but it is constant.
Most cards manage that well enough, albeit there are a few "clunkers" out there.

By using the SD calc on another thread in this forum, 24/96 stereo is:
32.96 MB/minute (562.52 KB/second)....

Write Speed of 15MB/s = 100X CF Card (approx.), which is so very much more....

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 11:11:35 PM by Bob »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:48:53 AM »
Super. You listen with Math, I use my ears instead! Your statement is: This is only about bits and everthing is equal. I wish this would be true, it would make findig a good High End Musicsetup much simpler.

This rabithole is so much deeper and do you like the red or the blue pill?

The inherent stored analog music of Digitalsignals is effected by the Hard and Software. Here a few statements from Top Experts.

Read: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/ca_intro.htm

Everything always makes a difference. I'm not surprised that getting the hard drive, memory, and main processor to do less work is simply going to create less RFI and less demands on the power supply.
The circuit board layout – how all the parts are laid-out on the board, how the traces are ran… it all affects the sound.Power supply is very important when dealing with high speed digital.Noisy power; get your power cleaned up somehow and you will notice quite a difference. I can't stress how important it is to have clean power for digital front ends, especially a computer running at 3GHz.

Guaranteed bandwidth. This means that properly implemented it has less jitter, less buffer under and overuns, and less stress on the DAC, which preserves the musical signal with better integrity.

We know that differences exist. We can make hand-waving explanations as to why, but as far as I know, nobody has the "real" answer. Most of high end audio is like that. For example, why do cables sound different? I mean really sound different? Nobody knows, they just make up plausible sounding stories.

What do you see as being the most important factor in getting the best sound in computer-based audio? That is what should the consumer address with the greatest concern when setting up a computer-based audio system? Everything should be considered important, why should I look at the clocks or jitter any differently than looking at the output or the power supply. Everything is of the highest concern.

Files that are compressed like FLAC and Apple Lossless never sound as good as .wav or AIFF. But it's best to use AIFF as the Meta data is stored in the file. We have seen the compressed file syndrome on slower computers. The faster they are the harder it is to tell the difference between say an AIFF and Apple Lossless.

And
Lossless is lossless as far as we can tell. The only change I can imagine is that the CPU has to work a bit to convert the lossless and there may be some buffer memory access patterns that generate more RF (than straight PCM). I was told that Apple lossless is not lossless for 24 bit data—it compresses to 16 bits. This would not be a good thing.

Some of the worst sound I've heard was Toslink from a Mac or Airport Express. Of course, we've had excellent results with our USB Link 24/96 with its high jitter rejection! Perhaps the best sound to be had is using a Lynx AES/EBU PCI card.

The CD/DVD drive used for ripping does make a monumental difference in sound quality and the ability to get a bit perfect rip (Secure). We generally like external USB or Firewire connected drives like Pioneer or Teac for ripping. Getting the drive out of the computer case and using it's own dedicated power supply, does tend to make a difference. Also, the drives used in Mac Books are generally poor for ripping, and does not handle the stress of re-reading sectors that bit perfect ripping requires.

I have a new analogy for the importance of playback software - it's similar to the cartridge in a vinyl playback system. I think we've all been using the equivalent of $40 Grado cartridges for playback—iTunes or Windows Media Player. While audiophiles have been assembling systems with great turntables (PCs) and phono preamps (DACs) we have been hampered by that first interface, the cartridge (software player). Professional software playback systems sound like Koestsu and Lyra cartridges. They are expensive, finicky, but the results are easy to discern. Once you spend some time with them, the $40 Grado sounds broken in comparison.

A DAC is a personal choice, as all of them have their unique sonic signature. Some people even prefer Tube DACs to give it the "analog fuzzy" feeling. Who am I to differ? As long as it knows how to handle the minute jitter and to reproduce the audio the same way it was created then I don't care. Obviously most pro DACS have a less-noisy power supply and are more neutral sounding because that's what they are for.

And finaly Serge Schmidlin Audio Consulting from Switzerland find out that the speed of flash makes a difference. He is a genius and his product are sonic pure SONIC NIRVANA. Dont know yet if anything better exist on this planet.
http://www.audio-consulting.ch/

And 4 USB Devices:

Simply by updating the power supply on the USB devices you get 100% increase in performance out of a cheaper product.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 06:43:20 AM by headroom »

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 06:34:28 AM »
Here one solution 4  correct setup for Ripping Audio with a MAC

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 06:51:27 AM »
Another genius:

There is a big difference between Pro
and HighEnd Audio. Pro audio is
sold by the millions. Therefore there
is a cost account hunkered down
defeating everything we talk about
here as good. No matter what chips
you have the execution is critical and
can make the difference between an A
and F product. So just throwing
around chip numbers is not enough.
Jitter is mainly caused by two things
clock generation and power supply.
Inside a PC with a switching supply
is about the crappiest power you can
have. This is why boards like the
Lynx have DCDC power supplies to
isolate them from the bus power. But
even this is not enough, the emi and
other radiation causes problems.
Chaning out a power supply from
switching to say battery (raw not
dcdc like a laptop does) or even linear
makes all the difference in the world.

This is why Dr. Frank Jordan likes
the 0202 so much. You can buy a
linear regulated power supply off the
shelf for like $10 and the preformance
increase %100.

Well that depends on the PC. I
have a native battery powered PC
with 4 hard drives so I can boot
different OS's and be totally isolated
from power.

The great thing about high end is we
can be stupid when it comes to
money. I can buy and use the most
exspenive parts in the world. Pro
audio does not have that luxury.
Maybe some day someone will
engineer a PC board to High End
Specs. But even the Lynx cuts
corners with caps and such. In talking
to the engineers that make this stuff,
many don't even know of the
companies we use for caps and
resistors.

Gordon
J. Gordon Rankin

Here a correct CD SETUP from Audio Consulting. I cloned mine with inspiration and its sound fantastic. Even in my IMP 550 CD I use Rubicon ZL waterbased very LOW ERS Caps. Its 90% Sound Quallity of my good RME Multiface I PCMCIA Cardbus (as interface to SPDIF) from MAC Powerbok G4. The SONY PCM-50 is the best Playback system i own but 16 GB Microstick is not so cheap like a Harddrives. I use AIFF 16 bit 44.1.

Gordon on RME:
It is my thinking the
better clock technology in the
RME is the reason for the better
sound quality (again only using
it as an interface - SPDIF output
at 24/176 to the DAC)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:18:47 AM by headroom »

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »
I decided to go ahead and get the CF card......
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 02:27:29 AM »
We may now depart the TwilightZone

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com