Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)  (Read 103243 times)

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »
I had always assumed that setting the pan position (L12 - C - R12) was for monitoring only, and that recording stereo files directed odd numbered inputs to the left channel and even number inputs to the right channel. Perhaps I have been wrong.

Off to check it out!

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2016, 08:15:24 PM »
I believe I just confirmed my assumption that the "Record" pan actually controls the pan level in the monitors, not the relative pan of the stereo file that is recorded.

Reading the manual several times left me completely bewildered. Why they would describe the panning law in the record section and placing the control in the record menu makes no sense, to me. 

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2016, 10:09:09 PM »
^yes....  i believe that it was established long ago in this thread (not sure what part of thread though) that the "pan" function is for monitoring only. 
it does not affect the actual recording.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2016, 11:48:34 AM »
Tascams menus always leave me wondering why they are organized as they are.  The m10 menu is so much easier to use in my experience, but tascam keeps on giving us menus where I find myself having to hunt through multiple options to accomplish basic tasks. 

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »
OK, I just did some testing.  The pan setting does NOT affect recording in STEREO or MONO modes, but it DOES affect the recording when the mode is set to 2MIX.  Pans set hard L and R results in a 2-track STEREO recording; pans center results in 2-track MONO, as the center panned signals are being split equally to both recorded tracks as I described above.

I completely forgot about the 2MIX option, which is a stereo downmix of all active recording channels.  Unlike other recorders that have a mixdown, in the 70D you only get the mixdown if you select 2MIX, whereas other more high-end recorders will record that mix in addition to all of your stereo / mono tracks.

TL:DR - PAN setting affects recording when in 2MIX mode only.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:15:21 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2016, 05:55:25 PM »
Just made a major overhaul to the Menu Reference (formerly Recommended Settings) section of the FAQ.  This should hopefully be more useful now.

While going through everything I caught a couple documentation issues:

1. There are still no release notes for the latest 1.14 firmware on the Tascam US site, but they are on the EU site.
2. There is no documentation in the manual about the WIDE setting.  This replaces PAN in the BASIC menu when MIC > M/S MODE is set to REC or MONI.  It's likely anyone using this understands a M/S matrix and wouldn't need it explained, but it's a glaring omission from the manual.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 06:00:03 PM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2016, 12:47:32 AM »
OK, I just did some testing.  The pan setting does NOT affect recording in STEREO or MONO modes, but it DOES affect the recording when the mode is set to 2MIX.  Pans set hard L and R results in a 2-track STEREO recording; pans center results in 2-track MONO, as the center panned signals are being split equally to both recorded tracks as I described above.

I completely forgot about the 2MIX option, which is a stereo downmix of all active recording channels.  Unlike other recorders that have a mixdown, in the 70D you only get the mixdown if you select 2MIX, whereas other more high-end recorders will record that mix in addition to all of your stereo / mono tracks.

TL:DR - PAN setting affects recording when in 2MIX mode only.

Thanks Voltronic 8) I always check to make sure mine are panned HARD Left/Right, but now I know it doesn't matter anyway, unless I'm doing a 2MIX recording, which I never see myself doing! The Tascam 701D, has the 4 inputs + L/R stereo mix, like Voltronic is talking about the pro decks having! If the 701D ever comes down in price, I'd like to grab [2] of those, so that I can cascade them, and the better screen and the better monitoring options! Not to mention the supposed better audio and different op-amps and the GANG function too! The 701D has basically everything we asked for in FW updates to the 70D lol :P ;D Thanks Tascam!!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline voltronic

« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2016, 08:03:04 AM »
The Tascam 701D, has the 4 inputs + L/R stereo mix, like Voltronic is talking about the pro decks having! If the 701D ever comes down in price, I'd like to grab [2] of those, so that I can cascade them, and the better screen and the better monitoring options! Not to mention the supposed better audio and different op-amps and the GANG function too! The 701D has basically everything we asked for in FW updates to the 70D lol :P ;D Thanks Tascam!!!

Here's the thing though: you'd have all of that functionality in one box and for less money with a Zoom F8, as opposed to two 701Ds.  The 701 is a pretty "meh" product for me value-wise, especially given Tascam's own DR-680. 

If you just want your 70D preamps upgraded to the level of the 701D, have the JWMod done for less than $150 total in parts, labor, and shipping both ways.

I'm sticking with my 70D until I can afford something higher quality and with 8 preamps, be that the F8, or if I really get lucky, a cheap SD 788!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2016, 09:33:36 AM »
Bean wants two recorders so he can record on two different stages when needed.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
Bean wants two recorders so he can record on two different stages when needed.

Dang, you know me too well 8)

Offline The Other Chris

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My list:
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2016, 02:09:18 AM »
You guys are great, night two coming soon  :)

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=587743

The Phish from Vermont
Gorge Amphitheater
George, WA
July 15, 2016

Nakamichi CM-300's w/ Teac Omni Capsules>Tascam DR-70d @ Soundboard 8'
Transfer: Tascam DR-70>laptop>Audacity volume boost 3db>CD Wave>R8 Brain FLAC Level 8
Taped & Transferred by Chris McGrath (divisionbelled@gmail.com)

Set 1: Tweezer > Sample in a Jar, The Old Home Place, Wolfman's Brother, Bouncing Around the Room, Undermind, Kill Devil Falls, Lawn Boy, Ass Handed[1], Party Time, The Line, Tide Turns, Rift, Walls of the Cave

Set 2: Crosseyed and Painless > What's the Use? > No Men In No Man's Land -> Stash > Ghost[2] -> Chalk Dust Torture > Meatstick > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Cavern

Encore: Makisupa Policeman > Wilson > Good Times Bad Times

Tracks 1 & 16 of set one are kinda poorly thought out on my part.  I was/am over tired and old ;)
First time running this recorder, thanks to the crew at the Taperssection.com DR-70 thread for their patience & willingness to help me understand some of the
idiosyncrasies of this thing :)

[1] Debut.
[2] Trey on Marimba Lumina; Mike and Page on percussion.

Teases:
· Crosseyed and Painless quote in No Men In No Man's Land
· What's the Use? and Crosseyed and Painless teases in Stash
· What's the Use?, Crosseyed and Painless, and No Men In No Man's Land teases in Ghost
· No Men In No Man's Land, Crosseyed and Painless, and What's the Use? teases in Chalk Dust Torture
· Crosseyed and Painless and No Men In No Man's Land quotes in Also Sprach Zarathustra
· Crosseyed and Painless and What's the Use? quotes in Cavern
· Under Pressure tease in Crosseyed and Painless
· Makisupa Policeman quote in Wilson
· Ramble On tease in Good Times Bad Times

Setlist from phish.net, thank you.

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »
Probably a very stupid question: any recommended short usb cable to use for powering the DR-70 is on a bag and the battery is on a frontal pocket?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2016, 03:33:27 PM »
Probably a very stupid question: any recommended short usb cable to use for powering the DR-70 is on a bag and the battery is on a frontal pocket?

Search eBay or Amazon for "micro usb left angle".  The full size USB side angle may not matter to you, but the micro end you want as a left angle so the cable will come out towards the front of the recorder.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2016, 03:55:09 PM »

Search eBay or Amazon for "micro usb left angle".  The full size USB side angle may not matter to you, but the micro end you want as a left angle so the cable will come out towards the front of the recorder.

I have ALL left angle micro USB cables for my DR70D's, and with a LEFT angle Micro USB cable, it would actually exit towards the BACK of the 70D not the front, where the SD Card Slot/Batteries/Omni Mics are! A RIGHT angle Micro USB for the 70D would exit, as you said Voltronic, towards the front of the unit where the screen and buttons are, not a LEFT angle Micro tip ;)

I actually prefer the LEFT angle Micro Tip USB cables, because they still have enough clearance above the 4th XLR IN, and it neatly tucks behind the 70D when its in place :) I'll try to snap some pics soon of exactly what I'm trying to say! Anyway, here's a link to the Left Angle Micro USB>Right or Left USB A cables that I have ordered a few different times from this seller, for a total of like 7-8 cables total over 3 transactions, and I ALWAYS got my stuff within 2-3 weeks max! They sit nice and snugly in the 70D's USB input and I have not had a single problem with any of them so far :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381090437511?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And I got this decent USB splitter awhile back, so that I can power my 70D's for double the time 8)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172151661611?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

EDIT: I had my Left/Right angles wrong for the Micro USB ends! The cables that I linked above are actually RIGHT angle Micro USB tips, and NOT Left angle as I thought before! The RIGHT angle cables I linked above go ABOVE the 4th XLR IN of the DR70D, and do NOT touch the XLR housing or anything like that. Its just really close. Plus, the USB cable going above/behind the 4th XLR IN also leaves all of the other connections open, whereas a Left angle USB cable going towards the screen would block a connection or two I believe!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:54:15 AM by F.O.Bean »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2016, 04:11:51 PM »
Thanks bean. Always thinking about the little stuff. The USB splitter seems like a no brainer.

You might want to review your Left and Right, however.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:41:05 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com