Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)  (Read 103228 times)

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)
« Reply #240 on: August 27, 2016, 03:24:36 PM »
A post question.

Using my DR70-d, I took the 2 channels of soundboard and 2 channels of split omnis (outside gig), exported each separately as 16/44 stereo files. Then opened one in Audacity and pasted the other into that
project, I then used mix and render on those four channels, and got a very nice two channel matrix with very little muss or fuss.

My question: Is it possible to create a matrix using 60 or 70% of the soundboard. (I'm assuming my first effort was a 50/50 mix.)

Thanks!
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #241 on: August 27, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »
A post question.

Using my DR70-d, I took the 2 channels of soundboard and 2 channels of split omnis (outside gig), exported each separately as 16/44 stereo files. Then opened one in Audacity and pasted the other into that
project, I then used mix and render on those four channels, and got a very nice two channel matrix with very little muss or fuss.

My question: Is it possible to create a matrix using 60 or 70% of the soundboard. (I'm assuming my first effort was a 50/50 mix.)

Thanks!

Turn down the omnis in the mix?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #242 on: August 27, 2016, 09:57:07 PM »
A post question.

Thanks!

Oh! OK.

I thought there was a place in Audacity or Soundforge to choose the %ages.
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

Offline voltronic

« Reply #243 on: August 27, 2016, 10:10:33 PM »
A post question.

Thanks!

Oh! OK.

No, just raise / lower the channel fader.  I wouldn't worry about percentages; just follow your ears.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2016, 12:20:31 PM »
A post question.

Thanks!

Oh! OK.

No, just raise / lower the channel fader.  I wouldn't worry about percentages; just follow your ears.

Thanks, that worked well!

Another question. I never considered phasing initially, but after producing the first matrix and then reading a little about creating one (I know, backwards), all four tracks were perfectly lined up, when
I looked at the first kick drum spike. Is that alignment a function of the DR70D, or the fact that I was two feet to the right of the soundboard, so there was no phasing?
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

Offline voltronic

« Reply #245 on: August 28, 2016, 01:30:06 PM »
I think maybe you got lucky, and it's nothing to do with the recorder.  You should take your questions over to the post production area; you'll get more and better responses.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »
A post question.

Thanks!

Oh! OK.

Thanks, that worked well!

Another question. I never considered phasing initially, but after producing the first matrix and then reading a little about creating one (I know, backwards), all four tracks were perfectly lined up, when
I looked at the first kick drum spike. Is that alignment a function of the DR70D, or the fact that I was two feet to the right of the soundboard, so there was no phasing?

Did you zoom in on the kick spike? - If you were any distance from the stage, you should have some delay - but it might not be obvious until you're zoomed in pretty tight.

In Audacity, use the Time Shift tool to slide tracks into sync.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #247 on: August 29, 2016, 12:23:03 PM »
I just received an email back stating that they are forwarding my list to the R&D department in Japan for review.

Now I'm sure all our firmware wishes will come true.   ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z38cpa5KFYs

That's great news. I gots nothing back :shrug:

Did you use the contact form on the website or email them at the customer service address directly?  I remember a while back they had a message on their site saying that contact form was having issues.

Website. I did get this automated response:

2016-08-16 08:08:28
Hello Dan Harris,
Thank you for contacting TASCAM.
This message has been automatically generated in response to the request
you submitted to our support system with Support Reference Code: 76X3NFCB

Below is a copy of the message that you submitted:

Support Reference Code: 76X3NFCB
Support Request Type: Operational Support
Product: DR70
Your Question:
Not so much of a question as a request. On the DR60, you can choose which source you send to the output (1-2, 3-4, mix, etc). On the 70 however, all you get is mix. Can the firmware be updated to allow you to choose which source you can assign to the outputs? Thanks, Dan

We will contact you again at this email address.
If you have any additional questions, please reply to this message with a
copy of the Support Reference Code in the subject line.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline voltronic

« Reply #248 on: August 29, 2016, 02:19:39 PM »
^ Yeah, that's the only response I've ever gotten from the website form also.  Maybe you could try the email address I used.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #249 on: August 29, 2016, 04:59:19 PM »
Your Question:
Not so much of a question as a request. On the DR60, you can choose which source you send to the output (1-2, 3-4, mix, etc). On the 70 however, all you get is mix. Can the firmware be updated to allow you to choose which source you can assign to the outputs?

YEAH! Speaking of which, when the DR70D records a 4-channel fileset composed of two stereo pairs, is there a way to play back either stereo WAV file separately in the field? I would like to be able to check individual signals in headphones. I think there is not, and the manual doesn't say much except the vague: "A project is a group of files used for recording/ playback" on page 10.

Since as far as I can tell, you can only hear the mix, I guess it's best to make a test recording at soundcheck where you start by setting all 4 levels, then temporarily turn down each pair before stopping the recorder to check the audio!?? Honestly, I am not usually able to use headphones for anything useful when rock & roll is occurring, I can only monitor things via playback to find out if there is low level noise, or peak distortion in the signal...

BTW, I just learned that Tom was not a customer service rep with Tascam.  A quick search shows that he was actually an engineer with Teac from 1991-1999, and since 1999 has been a Teac / Tascam engineering manager.
:facepalm:
That somewhat explains his lack of interest in customer service as such.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

« Reply #250 on: August 29, 2016, 08:15:52 PM »
Your Question:
Not so much of a question as a request. On the DR60, you can choose which source you send to the output (1-2, 3-4, mix, etc). On the 70 however, all you get is mix. Can the firmware be updated to allow you to choose which source you can assign to the outputs?

YEAH! Speaking of which, when the DR70D records a 4-channel fileset composed of two stereo pairs, is there a way to play back either stereo WAV file separately in the field? I would like to be able to check individual signals in headphones. I think there is not, and the manual doesn't say much except the vague: "A project is a group of files used for recording/ playback" on page 10.

Since as far as I can tell, you can only hear the mix, I guess it's best to make a test recording at soundcheck where you start by setting all 4 levels, then temporarily turn down each pair before stopping the recorder to check the audio!?? Honestly, I am not usually able to use headphones for anything useful when rock & roll is occurring, I can only monitor things via playback to find out if there is low level noise, or peak distortion in the signal...

I guess that depends on if it keeps a "project" of tracks as one unit for playback in the way it does for recording.  I'm not sure how that would even work, maybe the file naming system?  Clearly the manual is not helpful, so you might want to try it at home and see what happens.  Maybe put one set of mics in front of the TV in one room, and another set in front of the stereo in the other room.  You'll find out pretty quickly if you're hearing both things together or not.  Maybe try it with both mono and stereo tracks to see if it behaves any differently.

Lately I've been recording only two tracks, but using Dual Rec to make a -12 dB safety.  I never play back anything until it's been dumped to the computer, but I can't imagine it would play back the higher gain tracks together with the -12 dB tracks.

BTW, I just learned that Tom was not a customer service rep with Tascam.  A quick search shows that he was actually an engineer with Teac from 1991-1999, and since 1999 has been a Teac / Tascam engineering manager.

Oh, so we're back to this again?  Sure, I'll play.  It also explains his lack of patience with conspiracy theories and threats of legal action.  :smash:
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #251 on: August 29, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »
Just want to weight in on the "non approved card" thing. I've read it with interest, this is my story.

Got a call yesterday about a show that a local band was doing a reunion thing. Got to town, 30 min to make show. Grabbed shit, and a 32b mini-micro SD card and an adaptor that I planned on using for video.
The Tascam ran out 1st. Shoved the unknown card in and hit record. Listening to it now. Not advocating unknown cards; I upgraded my 70 to 1.13 before I ran my 1st show. Just thinking maybe they did something about this to make the unit more "forgiving" with cards in one of the updates. Or maybe I got lucky. Will pull card and update later. That 70 sure seems to like the ADK LD mics for sure :smash:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline voltronic

« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2016, 09:56:04 PM »
It's been said many times before: there may be lots of cards that work great in the 70D even if they aren't approved.  Tascam only tested a handful, but those are the only ones you can be sure will work well.

Who knows if the firmware update did anything for card compatibility?  What it did address was supposedly faulty formatting, and that alone could lead to recording errors, even with approved cards.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2016, 10:29:12 PM »
My experience just leads be to believe that this is a solid deck that they may have rushed to market and them tried to patch up as they went along. Look at the 60. That was pretty bold to put out there and there has still only been one firmware upgrade to my knowledge. Damn.....if I knew I wouldn't brick my unit I would load that 60 firmware to my 70.......wonder if it would restore the monitor functionality or brick the unit....

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2016, 11:38:16 PM »
This just seems like arguing with my "wife." He might have been in the wrong to leave in a huff, but we lost what seemed like a really useful line into Tascam. Without it, we can't even get more than an automated response.

Please don't drive industry people away, even if they act poorly.

Your Question:

I guess that depends on if it keeps a "project" of tracks as one unit for playback in the way it does for recording.  I'm not sure how that would even work, maybe the file naming system?  Clearly the manual is not helpful, so you might want to try it at home and see what happens.  Maybe put one set of mics in front of the TV in one room, and another set in front of the stereo in the other room.  You'll find out pretty quickly if you're hearing both things together or not.  Maybe try it with both mono and stereo tracks to see if it behaves any differently.

Lately I've been recording only two tracks, but using Dual Rec to make a -12 dB safety.  I never play back anything until it's been dumped to the computer, but I can't imagine it would play back the higher gain tracks together with the -12 dB tracks.

Oh, so we're back to this again?  Sure, I'll play.  It also explains his lack of patience with conspiracy theories and threats of legal action.  :smash:
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com