Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how do I go unbalanced xlr out>balanced xlr in?  (Read 2848 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
how do I go unbalanced xlr out>balanced xlr in?
« on: August 22, 2009, 11:07:55 AM »
Is there a way to do this without changing the pins on the preamp? specifically, unbalanced xlr out of an Oade M148>balanced xlr ins on a marantz pmd 661?

Datbrad, I know you explained this, but I didn't get what RCA adaptors would accomplish, since the 661 has no RCA inputs, only outputs.

thanks, Marc.

Offline xpander

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: how do I go unbalanced xlr out>balanced xlr in?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 12:17:40 PM »
One of the best, if not the best explanation of different connection options is still Sound System Interconnection article from Rane;
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Choose your connection and plug types from the Figure 4, then check the appropriate wiring below the chart. If you want deeper understanding of issues involved, Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices article might help too;
http://www.rane.com/note151.html

marc0789

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:24:40 PM »
thanks man, I'm not sure I ever got this before. Unfortunately, the xlr outs on the m148 are unbalanced, so I need unbalanced rca inputs (which the 661 does not have). Just don't want to change out the pins in the Oade.  :(

Offline xpander

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:22:48 AM »
Whoops, sorry man, I was too hasty and maybe a little bit myopic to boot. I don't know how Oade does the unbalanced XLR output and don't want to quess here, so hopefully somebody else will add the missing details.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:24:23 AM by xpander »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 10:33:23 AM »
thanks man, I'm not sure I ever got this before. Unfortunately, the xlr outs on the m148 are unbalanced, so I need unbalanced rca inputs (which the 661 does not have). Just don't want to change out the pins in the Oade.  :(

First you need to know what pin is hot if its a mic input then pin 2 is hot pin 3 should be grounded to pin 1. Make a cable that is shorted pin 1 to pin 3 and leave pin 2 alone. If its not pin 2 hot then you need to figure out what pin is hot. If your going from a line output to a mic input you will need to attenuate the signal. Or pad the input of the mic input.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »
Is there a way to do this without changing the pins on the preamp? specifically, unbalanced xlr out of an Oade M148>balanced xlr ins on a marantz pmd 661?

Datbrad, I know you explained this, but I didn't get what RCA adaptors would accomplish, since the 661 has no RCA inputs, only outputs.

thanks, Marc.

OK, So I think I understand now. You have one of those M148s where the XLR outs were made unbalanced specifically for running into SBMs and other unbalanced recording front ends, opposed to the standard 148 with balanced XLR line outs. There is no problem running XLR unbalanced into the 661, but you have to use a special cable to prevent RF interference. You need to get cables that are unbalaced on the female end that plugs into the line outs on the 148, and that should eliminate the buzzing. You also should go with as short a set between the 148 and the 661 as you can, no more than a couple of feet.

If you are definately going with a PMD661, I would send the M148 back to Doug for a checkup, and get him to change back the XLR line outs to balanced while he is inside it, it's not a big deal to do and is really how the 148 should be setup anyway for best performance.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

marc0789

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 12:25:50 PM »

thanks, Marc.

OK, So I think I understand now. You have one of those M148s where the XLR outs were made unbalanced specifically for running into SBMs and other unbalanced recording front ends, opposed to the standard 148 with balanced XLR line outs. There is no problem running XLR unbalanced into the 661, but you have to use a special cable to prevent RF interference. You need to get cables that are unbalaced on the female end that plugs into the line outs on the 148, and that should eliminate the buzzing. You also should go with as short a set between the 148 and the 661 as you can, no more than a couple of feet.

If you are definately going with a PMD661, I would send the M148 back to Doug for a checkup, and get him to change back the XLR line outs to balanced while he is inside it, it's not a big deal to do and is really how the 148 should be setup anyway for best performance.

Thanks Brad, makes total sense now. Probably due for a battery change anyhow in the next year or so. I had no idea that Doug built some specifically to run into SBMs and some balanced.

Until then, anyone know someone on TS.com who builds HQ unbalanced>balanced silver shorties?  ;D thanks all, Marc.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com