Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Another Video camera needed, suggestions?  (Read 3959 times)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
Another Video camera needed, suggestions?
« on: August 24, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »
Hi all,

I have just got into video and am ready to move to two cameras.  I currently have a Canon ZR600 that I got used.  It works well in manual mode at clubs that have decent lighting.  In night mode, it gitters way to much.  It will server the purpose in most cases, although I would like my next camera to have a night or lower light mode that doesn't gitter.

Here is my $$ and spec options:

• I would like to go used, $150 - $250 range, (I don't think I could go any lower as the ZR600 was $110 used.)
  • MiniDV format, (the zr600 is minidv, and I have that process/workflow down.  I'm not sure if transfering from flash or DVD would be as good of quality)

Thats about it, I don't care too much about zoom, and I figure white balance should be good enough in that price range.

Thanks to all for the input in advance.
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Another Video camera needed, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 02:10:06 PM »
When I was in the market for a new/used video camera, I hit up pawn shops and found for $150 (they lowered it to that from $200). Its some sony job but its mini DV, mic in, hotshoe, headphone out, small, light, color viewfinder and nice large screen. Firewire and s-video outs/ins.

I don't remember the model number and it really doesn't matter since its kind of old now but it works great for me.

When I look for a camcorder, I look for a good lens, does well in all kinds of lights, manual focus ring, mic in, headphone out, s-video is a plus.

For $250 new, I don't know what to tell you but it will probably get you something very consumer-ish with a decent lens but I would suspect it lacks mic in.

Just remember to hit up pawn shops and craigs list because you don't know what you will find.

For those who have a stigma against pawn shops, keep it and let me find the great deals!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:16:33 PM »
When I was in the market for a new/used video camera, I hit up pawn shops and found for $150 (they lowered it to that from $200). Its some sony job but its mini DV, mic in, hotshoe, headphone out, small, light, color viewfinder and nice large screen. Firewire and s-video outs/ins.

I don't remember the model number and it really doesn't matter since its kind of old now but it works great for me.

When I look for a camcorder, I look for a good lens, does well in all kinds of lights, manual focus ring, mic in, headphone out, s-video is a plus.

For $250 new, I don't know what to tell you but it will probably get you something very consumer-ish with a decent lens but I would suspect it lacks mic in.

Just remember to hit up pawn shops and craigs list because you don't know what you will find.

For those who have a stigma against pawn shops, keep it and let me find the great deals!

Thanks for the input...

I have been looking on Craigslist, forgot the pawn shop route, a ton of them in Cleveland.  I'm certainly going the used route, and have no stigma about pawn shops, or anywhere that I can get a deal.  I don't care about mic in, cause I use my rig to get the audio, and sync in Adobe.

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »
what is "gitter"?
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 04:17:04 PM »
what is "gitter"?

It's my half ass way of explaining things.....I'm good at that :)

Basically, when in night mode everyone is sort of like in slow motion.  Movements are not fluid.  I did a show on this setting and it was unusable.

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:33:40 PM »
that's weird. It sounds like there is some sort of 3D combing filter at work.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 05:32:15 PM »
what is "gitter"?

Basically, when in night mode everyone is sort of like in slow motion.  Movements are not fluid.  I did a show on this setting and it was unusable.

Its doing that because its trying to gather as much light as it can by opening the lens as wide as it can but will have to often slow the shutter speed down as well which results in non-fluid movements.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Jerry Gash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:54:34 PM »
I would look into the Canon HV series, they give you a fairly good amount of control of shutter speed and aperture.  There are NO consumer grade cameras that do well in low light due to the size of the sensor, something that shoots in 24p mode will help somewhat.

(2) Canon HV20, Jag35Pro, Shrigg Rig, Rode SVM, Rode VM, Zoom H4N, Bogen 3052, Bogen 701HDV Head

Offline mmadd29

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
what is "gitter"?

Its doing that because its trying to gather as much light as it can by opening the lens as wide as it can but will have to often slow the shutter speed down as well which results in non-fluid movements.

So this is why you can't adjust the shutter speed in any of the lighting modes..............

Offline Low Spark

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:58:58 AM »
I would look into the Canon HV series, they give you a fairly good amount of control of shutter speed and aperture.  There are NO consumer grade cameras that do well in low light due to the size of the sensor, something that shoots in 24p mode will help somewhat.

QFT or a Panasonic GS320
Mics: AKG 481

American by Birth - A Southerner by the Grace of God.

I caught myself pumping the air with my fist, throwing elbows and getting down like an 18-year-old on his first mushroom trip on the lawn at Raleigh. But since every night is Saturday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com