Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6  (Read 111955 times)

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 07:57:04 AM »
Some other advantages of the 6 is it has 4 preamps (744 only has 2) and channel 5/6 input for 6 channels of recording.  Also USB instead of firewire.   It is also way cheaper than the 744

Possible Disadvantages compared to the 7 series: No pre-record, no digital in, no hold button. No internal dual media recording (not an option on 702 so a wash there). Media size so far limited to 32GB (but 512 to be supported?). No time code generator (not relevant to what we do though)
Advantages over the 7 series: smaller size, better powering options , better preamps?
Questions to be answered: A/D quality, metering, limter utility
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:31:35 AM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 08:01:14 AM »
I'm surprised that you get that much more recording time on mp3 compared to wav/flac

mp3=mixpre3
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 09:16:23 AM »
Hey mitchellm....  I know it's been discussed, but can you tell me if the MixPre-3 can record two XLR inputs and 3.5mm (mini-stereo) input at the same time... for a total of 4 tracks??
And...  where is the power switch/button?
You seem to be the first person around here with a MP3 in your hands... 
Thanks.

I asked support the same question- here is their reply.

"Hello Jesse,

Thank you for contacting Sound Devices.  The MixPre-3 can record 3 separate sources on different tracks.  These tracks can be mixed down to the Left and Right track (the other 2 recorded tracks out of 5).  It sounds like you need a MixPre-6 if you need 4 isolated tracks, as the MixPre-3 can only do 3 isolated tracks max, plus the Left and Right tracks...

Best regards,
Danny Greenwald
danny_greenwald@sounddevices.com"
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2017, 09:40:23 AM »
Just completed battery test with MixPre-3.

Length: 1 hour 52 minutes until red warning light.

At 1:55 recording was auto-shutdown and got message to turn off recorder.

4 Eneloop rechargeable batteries, fully recharged. About 3 years old, but relatively lightly used.

Mic: AT BP4025 stereo mic with 2 XLR inputs.

While less than the stated length, this is satisfactory for my needs and usage.

Probably newer batteries, or better batteries, would result in a longer runtime. Type of Eneloop: regular (not Pro) at 2,000mAh.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2017, 10:12:30 AM »
Just completed battery test with MixPre-3.

Length: 1 hour 52 minutes until red warning light.

At 1:55 recording was auto-shutdown and got message to turn off recorder.

4 Eneloop rechargeable batteries, fully recharged. About 3 years old, but relatively lightly used.

Mic: AT BP4025 stereo mic with 2 XLR inputs.

While less than the stated length, this is satisfactory for my needs and usage.

Probably newer batteries, or better batteries, would result in a longer runtime. Type of Eneloop: regular (not Pro) at 2,000mAh.
is that a 48v mic?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2017, 10:18:42 AM »
for what its worth i used powerx 2800 lsd batts. pretty new fully charged for test.

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »
is that a 48v mic?

Yes, it's a 48v phantom powered mic.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »
Some other advantages of the 6 is it has 4 preamps (744 only has 2) and channel 5/6 input for 6 channels of recording.  Also USB instead of firewire.   It is also way cheaper than the 744

Possible Disadvantages compared to the 7 series: No pre-record, no digital in, no hold button. No internal dual media recording (not an option on 702 so a wash there). Media size so far limited to 32GB (but 512 to be supported?). No time code generator (not relevant to what we do though)
Advantages over the 7 series: smaller size, better powering options , better preamps?

Definitely an advantage over the 744 in terms of preamps - I was thinking more of the 788 in that situation though. Also much cheaper than the 788 and a little less than the 702 or 722/744 used going price.

I'm interested to see transfer times. The manual claims transfer over USB C is actually using USB 2.0 which is pretty slow compared to USB 3.0 and might be slower than Firewire. That said, I now have to use an adapter to use firewire on my 744 which is annoying.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »

Also, for devices allegedly designed for "blogger, youtubers" (I think the man said) these are so complicated people have to post questions repeatedly how to use them. That's not good, even the basic mode is not exactly for dummies.

Since these devices are game changers in price, quality and functions, I'll wait for someone to release a high quality device for dummies. I don't have the patience to read long manuals, and even with the 702 I forgot how to make it work every time (I don't tape often enough).

Basic mode is pretty basic. You don't need no stinking manuals. :) And you can create presets. I only have about 3 or 4 basic situations I record in. Create presets. Select right one in the future and you're good to go. Much of the discussion here involves more complicated things that demand Advanced or Custom modes. Basic mode will work quite well for many of us.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2017, 10:41:20 AM »
~ 2 hours runtime on 4 AAs means I won't be stealthing with this thing. Good thing I kept my 744.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2017, 11:05:14 AM »
~ 2 hours runtime on 4 AAs means I won't be stealthing with this thing. Good thing I kept my 744.

If you stealth with a 744, why not just add a USB battery pack to the tiny mixpre3?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline gewwang

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 11:09:13 AM »

If you stealth with a 744, why not just add a USB battery pack to the tiny mixpre3?

I like the piece of mind of having no moving parts when I stealth. I still think the 8 AA sled with the mixpre-3 will be a good option for a 2 hour show with 45 min opener but I need to have it all in hand first to compare side by side with the 744.

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 12:12:35 PM »
You could also pull the SD card for transfers! 

Definitely an advantage over the 744 in terms of preamps - I was thinking more of the 788 in that situation though. Also much cheaper than the 788 and a little less than the 702 or 722/744 used going price.

I'm interested to see transfer times. The manual claims transfer over USB C is actually using USB 2.0 which is pretty slow compared to USB 3.0 and might be slower than Firewire. That said, I now have to use an adapter to use firewire on my 744 which is annoying.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »

It's hard to believe this is a serious question, but I'll play along. (Is someone really going to decide to buy or not based on transfer times?) I just transferred from MP3 to computer via file transfer mode. I had a 2.02 Gb file. Transfer time: 75 seconds.

I don't know if that's USB 2 or faster. But it's fast enough for me. Heck, even if it took 3 times longer that would be fast enough for me! Of course, as another person noted, you can also just pull out the SD card and use it directly.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »

It's hard to believe this is a serious question, but I'll play along. (Is someone really going to decide to buy or not based on transfer times?)

You youngens have it good.

In the old days, a 90m dat tape took 3 hours to transfer because you had to do it in real time. Unless you had a DDS drive which allowed you to speed up the transfer, though I forget how much faster it was.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com