Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mixers  (Read 9489 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
mixers
« on: November 08, 2003, 02:14:08 PM »
I have been asked to do some multi mic location recording and need to pick-up a mixer.  I am getting paid, so I need something half-way decent.  What I am looking for is something with 4 xlr inputs, and maybe an input for a stereo pair of rc a's out of a sbd.  I would prefer the preamp's on the thing not to suck, and phantom power is an obvious must.  I would like to stay around 300 bucks if possible, and am looking for some reccomendations.  Oh yeah, DC power would be nice but not complately necessary as I don't think I would ruyn it in the field very often.  

Any thoughts??

Daryan

Offline Swampy

• Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Re:mixers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 03:10:14 PM »
Check out Behringer. I really like this board, especially for the price... http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=MX802A&lang=eng

Offline King Crimson

• Deez Nutz
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 04:45:03 PM »
My friends band, Big White Brownie, uses the same one.  Great, great mixer for the range.  Have never had a problem with it as far as I know.
I'll have a bloody mary, a steak sandwich and...a steak sandwhich.

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 05:28:53 PM »
i have that beringer mixer ... great mixer .... just dont turn those mic pres up to far .... they get quite noisey if you crank them.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 06:37:55 PM »
Mackie also makes some very good inexpensive mixers.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 08:07:27 PM »
If you're just trying to get a lot of preamps for a low price (which is a position you often find yourself in while in a band), the Behringer mixers are definitely there in terms of the price point.

Calico's got a point, though, about Mackies.  For example, I had a 16 channel Behringer (with 8 preamps) that I always felt good about.  Then I picked up a used Mackie 1604-VLZ (prices are good now that the PRO model came out) mainly because I wanted the additional 8 preamps.  But the first time I ran it instead of the Behringer I was shocked at the difference in sound -- just from the preamps!  It sounded clearer and better all round and required less EQ to achieve a great tone.

Anyway, I think if you're looking for the cheap in, the Behringer will do you.  If you have the option, consider a Mackie, even used.  

How many channels do you need, and how many preamps?  What kind of output do you need?

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2003, 09:38:16 PM »
I'd go Mackie over Behringer... preamps are less noisy.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 12:33:23 AM »
I'd go Mackie over Behringer... preamps are less noisy.

In general, I'd agree, but sometimes there are situations...  For example, try finding a Mackie with 8 preamps for under $200.  It just doesn't happen (and with good reason!), but sometimes having lower quality preamps and being heard is better than too few high-quality preamps and not being heard.   :-\

I don't feel like my old Behringer is junk; It's just that the Mackie sounds a LOT better.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Mackie is my first choice sans other necessities.  The Berhingers are great for what they're designed to be: very useful entry-level mixers at a very low price point.

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

cpclark

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 03:20:03 AM »
if money isnt an issue, allen and heath all the way

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 03:55:07 AM »
heard that is quality stuff, clark.  A lot of professionals will tell you to steer clear of the behringer unless you want to use it for 6 months and throw it in the trash. It's only $99 for a reason.  I have no experience, just relaying what I have read.

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2003, 07:47:59 AM »
Well, theres deffinatly a difference between studio and live. I would say that Behringer would not be the way to go in the studio, but its great for live work. Do you guys really think that there is that much of a difference between Behringer and Mackie??? I use Behringer at home and Makie at school, and I just dont hear a huge difference... ???
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 07:48:33 AM by Alex "swampy" Herd »

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2003, 10:53:45 AM »
in my experaince with the beringer if you micing something LOUD (ie guitar cabs) then it'll sound fine ..... it does get a bit noisey on something like acoustic guitar. So what exactly are you going to be recording? How many time are you going to be doing this? If its just one or two times you could probibly borrow a mini-me from someone their + your = 4 XLRs with phantom.... hell borrow another recorder (unless you have 2) and you could do a 4 track multitrack.

and +t to ya .... you seem to be running a bit low ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 10:55:03 AM by InfiniteOhms »
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

cpclark

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2003, 01:47:57 PM »
arguing over whether behringer or mackie is better, just an fyi: allen and heath is the end all be all of mixers IMHO, there preamps outlast either of the above company's

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2003, 02:29:08 PM »
A&H is in a completely different league than Behringer and Mackie. However I don't feel that it's the preamps that set A&H apart from Mackie... I think that A&H has an infinitely better EQ section as well as phase inversion. Mackie's preamps are decent and much better than Behringer. However Chuck has done a good job of pointing out why you may want to consider going with a Behringer.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

cpclark

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2003, 03:22:00 PM »
A&H is in a completely different league than Behringer and Mackie. However I don't feel that it's the preamps that set A&H apart from Mackie... I think that A&H has an infinitely better EQ section as well as phase inversion. Mackie's preamps are decent and much better than Behringer. However Chuck has done a good job of pointing out why you may want to consider going with a Behringer.

true, but the pre's are better IMHO

Offline Tim

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2003, 03:46:33 PM »
yes they are better but Mackie's aren't that bad

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com