Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Back into taping after interruption.... gear question  (Read 7018 times)

Offline MaidenBelgium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Back into taping after interruption.... gear question
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »
a little question: my CMC8 are annoying sometimes because when I stand, I have the battery box with bass rolloff hanging.... so I can replace it simply with my (very) old Sony ECM719. But when I switch it to my Edirol R05, first it is hard to plug it correctly, if you dont switch input power on, it doesnt work. But when this is done, I see that the sound reception is MUCH lower than with the CMC8 or even the internal mics. Is it normal or not? So I must raise the limit to the top...... Any advice?

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 02:16:45 PM »
Get an extension cable made by someone here (or locally) to run between mics & battery box if you need more length.  I use one when running on a stand.

FWIW - I get much lower levels w/ my ECM-717 on my R-09 than when using similar soundpros gear.  I had to boost a show recently recorded w/ the 717 by 13db while running near or at the max input setting.  Most of my SP-CMC-1>battbox recordings need 4-6db, if any at all with a much lower input setting required.  I am going to breaking out this rig again this summer.
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »
where can you buy audio gear online nowadays? Except soundprofessionals.... :-)

Yeah, the taperssection yard sale is where I always start.  Then if I have to go new, I go one of these places...

- I email justin marinoff at pro sound in NYC.  He serves ts members faithfully.  Search around here, you'll find his contact info  (pro sound is not to be confused with sound pros)
- Church Audio
- B&H photo and video
- Sweetwater
- Full Compass
- Musicians Friend
- Guitar Center

I've bought from all of these places and they all have alot of the same gear.  You just need to know what you want.  But for the small stealthy stuff, stick with Church Audio or sound pros.
fwiw I wouldn't do anything with church until. You do some research
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 06:34:46 PM »

Or contact Nick aka Schoepsnbox if you are ready to spend some coin and get a kickass Schoeps stealth rig.

yeah, maybe they can send you a photo of Chupacabra  and Nessie with it.

meaning: coin is not necessary for great sound.

Yep you are the expert on great sound.  I've heard many of your recordings.

it's not about being an expert insomuch as it is knowing that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and being proficient in all methods.

or, a $10,000 knife is not neccessary. you might look cool using it, but at the end of the day, it's not necessary when you can do the same job with a $100 knife.

idiot.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 09:08:44 PM »

Or contact Nick aka Schoepsnbox if you are ready to spend some coin and get a kickass Schoeps stealth rig.

yeah, maybe they can send you a photo of Chupacabra  and Nessie with it.

meaning: coin is not necessary for great sound.

Some coin isn't necessary for ok to good sound. Great sound.....yeah, it pretty much is. Schoeps, not necessarily. Coin, yes.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com