Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stand advice for steep lawn  (Read 7964 times)

Offline Soling

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Glens Fall Civic Center 5-5-81
Stand advice for steep lawn
« on: June 27, 2016, 12:00:04 PM »
Howdy TS brain trust.  Anyone have a lead on a stand with an adjustable leg?  Friend wants to Tape Dead and Co from the Lawn at Alpine Valley.  In recent years that have graded that lawn to an unbelievable steep angle. Friends heavy full body mics and T bar will likely tip a standard stand over.  Anyone advice?  Thanks!

~s
Mics: Schoeps MK2S, MK21, MK22, MK4V, MK41, MK6 > KC5/KCY > CMC6/XT, VST62IU, Nevaton MCE 400, BSC1 (actives), BASR1, ADK 51TL, CA 14 (O/C)
Pres: Aeta Mix 2000, V3, Naiant LB (Jensens), Naiant LB (KCY), Naiant TB, ST9100
Recorders: SD 744t, Edirol R09, MT II

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/soling

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Stand advice for steep lawn
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:32:17 PM »
Depending on the turf and how sturdy your stand legs are - I've had some success pushing the back leg into the turf a few inches to bring the stand closer to vertical.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 12:39:25 PM »
Depending on the turf and how sturdy your stand legs are - I've had some success pushing the back leg into the turf a few inches to bring the stand closer to vertical.
Ditto plus I used 3 tent stakes to secure the heavy stand plus heavy mic's at SPAC.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 12:53:06 PM »
I tend to use tent stakes or sand bags on steep hills with success. Good luck.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »
I was gonna say tent stakes, but sandbags will be more likely to be allowed into the venue. How about both if you can do it?

Or just get a round-based stand, and don't bring the base. Stab the stand right into the lawn??!?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 04:25:48 PM »
There are stands available which have one adjustable length leg such as the one linked above, intended for exactly this application.

Other options are to point two of the legs down the grade and jam the single up-grade one into the ground as 'Rewind and 'Suitcase mentioned.. or alternately orient the stand the otherway, with two legs facing up-grade, then place something substantial under the down-grade facing third leg which is high enough to raise it sufficiently so that the stand is level.  That avoids needing to poke into the ground, but requires a steady enough down-grade "shim" of the appropriate height.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:28:24 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jeenash

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 08:27:11 PM »
I was gonna say tent stakes, but sandbags will be more likely to be allowed into the venue. How about both if you can do it?

Or just get a round-based stand, and don't bring the base. Stab the stand right into the lawn??!?
[/quote
Call before you dig... it's the law! ;D

Offline Soling

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Glens Fall Civic Center 5-5-81
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:33:47 PM »
Thanks for your input folks, very helpful. Tim, nice looking stand but my wife would give me a knuckle sandwich if I got that one for a one gig use  :D  I think we're going with sand bags and stakes.   Getting Pavilion seats would be easier but friend wants to rock it the way we did as kids years ago.  Looking forward to it!

~s
Mics: Schoeps MK2S, MK21, MK22, MK4V, MK41, MK6 > KC5/KCY > CMC6/XT, VST62IU, Nevaton MCE 400, BSC1 (actives), BASR1, ADK 51TL, CA 14 (O/C)
Pres: Aeta Mix 2000, V3, Naiant LB (Jensens), Naiant LB (KCY), Naiant TB, ST9100
Recorders: SD 744t, Edirol R09, MT II

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/soling

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 01:44:21 PM »
Thanks for your input folks, very helpful. Tim, nice looking stand but my wife would give me a knuckle sandwich if I got that one for a one gig use  :D  I think we're going with sand bags and stakes.   Getting Pavilion seats would be easier but friend wants to rock it the way we did as kids years ago.  Looking forward to it!

~s
We rocked it hard on the lawn at SPAC. Huge crew was there. ENJOY!
Pics of the crew and mic stands SPAC 2016-06-21:   http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178139.0
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 03:45:30 PM »
Mountain jam veteran here, start digging with a stake and try to get a nice hole on the uphill side. We thought about sandbags this year, definitely a good option if you don't mind lugging it up the hill.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 04:26:53 PM »
IMHO stands are more stable with one leg forward on an incline. It would be easy and inexpensive enough to rig your own leveling leg. A couple of hose clamps and a length of pipe or crutch leg etc. added to the forward leg. Tent stakes are always a good idea but some venues have hard pan clay which can make driving them though even with a mallet. There are corkscrew type stakes probably best when used with bungee cords. Never had a problem getting tent stakes in though one time security had never seen anyone do that before questioned them but they were fine once explaining the safety use in securing the stand. Suitable sandbags lugged into a venue might not be so fun.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:30:47 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »
Hose clamp an extension to the front leg-- I love that solution DigiGal, thanks!
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 05:20:33 PM »
^ Be sure to use two hose-clamps, push them as far apart as possible along the leg and clamp them tight.  It's going to want to twist somewhat oddly and angle upwards a bit when weight is placed on that leg.  For fashioning your own adjustable "lazy leg", it may work best to find a section of aluminum or steel tubing/pipe which fits loosely over the existing leg, and use a single hose clamp around the leg itself as an adjustable stop for the pipe.  The pipe stays more aligned with the leg since it's slipped over it, and just pushes against the clamp. Loosen and move the clamp up or down the leg to adjust the extension length of the pipe section.  Shouldn't need to remove the hose-clamp, just leave it clamped on the leg when the extension isn't needed.

But, I've never had a problem simply finding something to shove under the down-grade leg (usually in combination with jamming the two back legs into the ground a bit), and since that lifts the leg perpendicular to the slope, it needn't be anywhere near as tall as the length an extension will need be long in order to "extend the line of the leg" until it contacts the slope further down-grade at increasingly acute angles as the grade increases.  Just need to make sure whatever you shove under there is stiff and stable enough and won't crush down too much.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 12:04:31 AM »
My suggestion above was quick and dirty Ghetto to show it can be that simple.

Please Stand By for my more elegant DIY solution . . .
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.159 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com