Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stand advice for steep lawn  (Read 7964 times)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Stand advice for steep lawn
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 12:22:58 AM »
DigiGal's simple yet inexpensive DIY Adjustable Stand Leg

Step 1 - Pop off the protective end cap of stand leg

Step 2 - Obtain alumininum crutch or cane for tip to fit snugly inside stand leg

Step 3 - Remove the crutch or cane tip you can drill holes in your stand leg so it works like the crutch/cane size adjustment or . . .

Step 4 - Pickup a replacement stand clamp that fits your tubes

Step 5 - Slide the stand clamp over the crutch/cane tip

Step 6 - Attach stand clamp with crutch/cane tip to stand leg

Step 7 - Hill test the stand

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:45:43 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2016, 04:53:56 AM »
Great pics, Digigal.

I'm gonna page Smark AKA SilentMark on this. Amongst other things, he's a land surveyor and I'm pretty sure his training tells him to point 2 legs down-hill...

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 09:05:42 AM »
I'm demonstrating the adjustable leg, you still want to use tent stakes or sand bags. Two or even all three legs can be made adjustable with the method I showed above.

In my experience one leg forward on an incline is more stable and it is the stands that put two legs forward that are the ones that I've seen tip over at shows. Try an experiment yourself with your stand legs spread and a set of stairs. Try putting two back legs on a higher step with a single leg forward and check the how tippy the stand is then repeat with one leg on the higher step and two legs forward and check to see how tippy that is. You easily find which is more stable. 

But again you'll still want to use tent stakes or sand bags at a show.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:05:00 AM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 09:33:56 AM »
What a great idea digigal! I am thinking of making one of these as I have several crutches lying around the house. I must admit, for years I've been a one stand leg back, two legs down taper. But when you showed me last week that one leg down is more stable, I instantly realized you are correct. Three shows this weekend on the hill at SPAC, we'll experiment a bit with it.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »
That crutch-leg mod is some sweet DIY workin' DigiGal!

Careful that it doesn't serves double-duty as a wookie tripper.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 02:01:46 PM »
That crutch-leg mod is some sweet DIY workin' DigiGal!

Careful that it doesn't serves double-duty as a wookie tripper.

Thanks, ahh the wooks I did actually think of that.  ;)  Being bright aluminum helps with visibility as does the rubber crutch tip as opposed to using a darker colored crutch/cane and replacing the tip with a slim folding chair type tip which are available at the hardware stores.  Being in a group of tapers or a roped off tapers section and blocking the leg would help too. 

True story I found high visibility isn't always good at least when using a glow stick attached to a stand leg because wooks are drawn to glow sticks and they have a tendacy to try and pick them up even when they are attached to a stand leg.  Had one spaced out wook focus in on a glow stick walk right up to the stand and reach out to remove it but he stopped when I grabbed his hand aand told him NO!  :whipped:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:06:04 AM by DigiGal »

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »
That is a great idea, Digigal.

Rather than sandbags, I was thinking heavy-duty Ziploc bags that you could fill with water at the venue, instead of lugging heavy sandbags. Of course, when I was at Alpine last year, they had no water in the restrooms.  >:(
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 12:30:11 PM »
If the ground isn't too hard, I've removed the rubber cover from the end of my stand leg and simply jammed the uphill-side leg into the ground far enough to get reasonably level.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 01:52:08 AM »
I'm sure it's a YMMV situation, my in my experience it's actually better not to put the single leg on the downhill side. This might seem counter intuitive, but it's rare for a stand to topple straight down the hill because of how people move through the crowd. The biggest risk is always someone mistaking it for a hand rail (sigh) and they are almost always walking at least somewhat horizontally. When a single leg is facing downhill, you give sacrifice a much needed left/right stability. Knock on wood, but I have never seen someone bulldoze straight downhill through the section.

Also, then you only have to dig a hole for one leg.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 10:39:40 AM »

-or-

-vs-

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 10:45:27 AM »
The old-skool big bag taper, hauling SLAs, LD-tube-mics, tube mic power supplies, outboard pres and ADCs!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 10:48:35 AM »
Which way would Elvis orient his stand?
Note the CB radio antenna instead of mic-stand up front, and of course the taper along for the ride in back.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 11:26:11 AM »
I'm sure it's a YMMV situation, my in my experience it's actually better not to put the single leg on the downhill side. This might seem counter intuitive, but it's rare for a stand to topple straight down the hill because of how people move through the crowd. The biggest risk is always someone mistaking it for a hand rail (sigh) and they are almost always walking at least somewhat horizontally. When a single leg is facing downhill, you give sacrifice a much needed left/right stability. Knock on wood, but I have never seen someone bulldoze straight downhill through the section.

Also, then you only have to dig a hole for one leg.

I beg to differ, I've seen stands with two legs forward tumble on their own with the stand at height loaded with mics they are especially tippy. All it takes with two legs forward is a slight tap or bump and has no direct relation with people going up or down a hill.

As mentioned earlier try an experiment for yourself using your stand on a set of stairs. Please don't be ignorant, as with balcony clamping safety has to be priority one. An unstable or tippy stand is not safe for the people around it.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 01:03:14 PM »
Stands will always topple preferably in a direction between two legs and directly away from the third.

Below is a quick sketch illustrating differences in stability.  View is from above looking down.  The legs of the mic-stands are represented by the black lines. Without being staked or weighted, resistance to toppling is all about the the difference in radius between the heavy red circle and the thin red circle.

One leg forward has greater stability against toppling directly down-hill.  It's all about a longer distance between the green arrows.  But that orientation has less diagonal down-hill stability than two legs forward.  Two legs forward has greater stability against toppling diagonally down-hill, but less stability against toppling directly forward down the hill.

Assumptions: Both mic stands are set so that the vertical risers are plumb.  All down-grade pointing legs are the same length.

If the stand is not vertical but leaning forward slightly, or even if it is vertical but the center of gravity of the weight aloft is forward of the vertical upright, the center of gravity shifts down hill, and the distance between the green arrows grows smaller.  Once the center of gravity shifts outside of the thin red circle, the stand topples on it's own without anyone touching it.

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »
Digging a hole for a leg....
Are you then reburying the hole afterward, and re-compacting the soil? To do any less is presenting someone else the chance for a sprained/broken ankle or a nasty fall afterward.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com