Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications  (Read 49508 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications
« on: January 16, 2019, 10:20:39 PM »
Thought I would start a thread in the appropriate forum to avoid clogging up the Retail board.

Please discuss your mods to the Senn GoPro mic and post pics so everyone can follow along.

Original thread for reference: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188670.0

From the other thread -

email from Sennheiser -
"The MKE 2 capsules are the same (as the regular mics), but the form factors are different.  The units for the GoPro HERO 4 are integrated into a housing to make them waterproof when used with that camera, and have different connector types.  The Regular MKE 2 are not waterproof, and have either 3.5mm or Lemo connectors"

Specs from the Sennheiser site for the standard MKE 2 -

Frequency response (Microphone) - 20 - 20000 Hz +- 3 dB
Connection cable - LEMO f. SK50/250
Cable length - 1,6 m
Weight - 77 g
Sensitivity in free field, no load (1kHz) - 5 mV/Pa +- 3 dB
Nominal impedance - 1000 Ω
Min. terminating impedance - 4700 Ω
Equivalent noise level - 26 dB
Equivalent noise level weighted as per CCIR 468-3 - 39 dB
Maximum sound pressure level (passive) - 142 dB
Current consumption ca. - 250 µA
Operating voltage (stand alone) - 7.5 V

verified working mini plug wiring  -
Left mic>red wire to tip
Right mic>red wire to ring
The 2 blues and 2 shields to sleeve.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:24:20 AM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:08:24 PM »
Thanks for starting this. I was thinking about something like this earlier this evening.

I'm not entirely sure about the waterproof factoid for our use, but, could be wrong.
The thing is designed to seal to the back of a GoPro, and has that rectangular O-Ring around the perimeter to create that seal. That seals the unit to the GoPro. The only other exposed point is the rubber mast that exits the box, and that is frequency welded (it appears) to the box, to create a seal.
In our application, we no longer have that sealed environment, unless someone creates a closure "door" to fit the GoPro mounting box. I'm thinking this to be a clearable hurdle with 3-D printing tech.
I could be totally wrong, but, caution should be used until I'm proven wrong.

mfrench

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 11:13:27 PM »
oh,...and I'm going to name my pairs; MøKE2's

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 07:05:28 AM »
Moke's brass tubing body looks promising...The windscreen is a big draw for me on this item...I'd love to incorporate that into a modified housing...could you cut threads the next larger size tubing to mount the windscreen?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »
In. Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to tinker - I have a female 3.5mm jack on the way. Has anyone else gotten one of these wired up to a miniplug?
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

mfrench

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »
Moke's brass tubing body looks promising...The windscreen is a big draw for me on this item...I'd love to incorporate that into a modified housing...could you cut threads the next larger size tubing to mount the windscreen?

Greets,
The 1/2" o.d. brass tubing fits flush to the diameter of the capsules widest point.  I tried the windscreen on, and, it is a really nice friction fit without the need for screw threads.

I'm going to grab the images from that other thread, and import them here.

the crappy image 6044 is 1/2"o.d. tubing fit.  This will need to be epoxied into place. It is a nice fit inside the tubing, but, not tight enough to be a friction fit. The windscreen fits nicely over this mounting.

regarding the other images and tubing (also picked from other thread):
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188670.msg2288043#msg2288043

It appears to be .25" o.d. on the smaller tube.
The larger is .28" o.d.

8131 (smaller) and 8132 (larger) is the K&S Precision Metals product numbers, I think.
http://ksmetals.com/26.html

in regard to the larger 1/2" tubing:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188670.msg2288067#msg2288067

It is a piece of 1/2" o.d. part# 8139
It fits very nicely, and touches the "flanges" just below the round collar, for a nice tight flush fit. It would need to be an adhesive fitting, as it is not snug enough by itself
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:21:52 AM by Moke »

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
I purchased a Neutrik 3.5mm female stereo jack (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888470-REG/Neutrik_nys240bg_3_5mm_Stereo_Jack.html) to wire up but I believe something like the option below may be better for  >:D.

https://www.markertek.com/product/y-mfs-2mp/tecnec-y-mfs-2mp-dual-3-5mm-mini-right-angle-male-to-3-5mm-stereo-female-air-travel-headphone-adapter

I'm thinking I could just strip the ends of the 3.5mm plugs and wire them to the mics with a little heat shrink to keep things tidy.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:17:26 PM by beegar »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »
I purchased a Neutrik 3.5mm female stereo jack (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888470-REG/Neutrik_nys240bg_3_5mm_Stereo_Jack.html) to wire up but I believe something like the option below may be better for  >:D.

https://www.markertek.com/product/y-mfs-2mp/tecnec-y-mfs-2mp-dual-3-5mm-mini-right-angle-male-to-3-5mm-stereo-female-air-travel-headphone-adapter

I'm thinking I could just strip the ends of the 3.5mm plugs and wire them to the mics with a little heat shrink to keep things tidy.

What do you guys think?
Why not just a stereo 3.5 mm (1/8) male plug? I ordered an "L" shaped one and hope to tinker this weekend. I snagged 2 demo MKE2 models at a whopping $2.00 less per mic, but as I figured they look brand new.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »

What do you guys think?
Why not just a stereo 3.5 mm (1/8) male plug? I ordered an "L" shaped one and hope to tinker this weekend. I snagged 2 demo MKE2 models at a whopping $2.00 less per mic, but as I figured they look brand new.

I'm mounting the mics and the jack in the liner of a mesh trucker hat and I'd rather have a male jack hanging down than a larger female jack. It's a little hard to explain but I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 06:07:55 PM »
Can these microphones be attached to Apple iPod/iphone type headphone wire?  I know absolutely nothing about wires/cables/microphones.  Would it be better to solder to a stereo mini plug then attach that plug to another cable of your preferred length?  Approximately how much wire do you have to work with once it's free from the usb board?
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

mfrench

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 06:18:40 PM »
I only have a 6" scale at hand. It is slightly longer than that by an inch'ish or so. 7" is a safe length guess.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 06:19:39 PM »
Can these microphones be attached to Apple iPod/iphone type headphone wire?  I know absolutely nothing about wires/cables/microphones.  Would it be better to solder to a stereo mini plug then attach that plug to another cable of your preferred length?  Approximately how much wire do you have to work with once it's free from the usb board?

You CAN use that wire but I would just grab some nice Mogami microphone cable - you want a nice shielded wire for these and that headphone wire will have a lot of extraneous material that you don't need.. If you wanted a long cable, I would solder the mic to a longer cable and put heat strink tubing over it to protect the joint. I'm putting my pair to a Y cable so I don't have to worry about extending them.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 10:29:00 AM »

Has anyone cut the rubber tubing and mesh screen off this yet? The waterproofing jacket I guess you could call it. Still on the road and haven't had mine in hand yet.

I want these to be as small as possible but thinking of a way to maybe adapt them somehow to fit back into a portion of the housing to be able to mount them in the open using the windscreen.
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 11:11:50 AM »
Here are some photos of the case and microphone:

That's as far as I've gotten with mine.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »
^ if you score the rubber where it meets the plastic housing, you can simply pull the microphone out, rubber and all. It takes a bit of tugging but it came out with no problem.

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 12:53:11 PM »
^ if you score the rubber where it meets the plastic housing, you can simply pull the microphone out, rubber and all. It takes a bit of tugging but it came out with no problem.

But if you want to keep the treaded part intact to use the windscreens you might leave them attached and Dremel the threaded part away from the case.  I did as you suggested above and it wasn't much trouble at all.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 02:24:08 PM »
Look at what Naiant uses on some of his microphone housings...that looks like a RCA male connector with the mic element sticking out where the cable would come out....

Thinking of disassembly of the below female 1/8 TRS jack inserted at the back of Brass Tubing...that would prevent the wire being torn out of the Mic capsule in the original plastic housing...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

mfrench

Re: Sennheiser MøKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 08:51:37 PM »
MøKE2 1.2 completed

at least at the mic capsule/body end,... I still need to do the stereo connector end.

img6092:
The journey begins at the 1/8" 3.5mm trs stereo connector.  I always end up needing the extra room in the screw on cap. So, first matter, enlarge that hole, and clean up the drill hole.

img6096: Commitment time. This was kind of hard to do.

img6099: My eyes said screw you Moke!

img6100 & 6101: Hiding my soldering skills

img 6102:
Inner brass tubing mounting the rubber shock mount mast.  This layer fits inside of the outer tubing, and allows the shock mounting to move freely.  I epoxy bedded the inside of this inner tubing piece, which also contained the soldering joint. I covered the soldering jpoint in two layers of heat shrink, with cyanoacrylate gel glue applied between layers.
The rubber mast was epoxy bedded on iserion into the inner brass tube, and the backside was filled with epoxy as well, for a 100% waterproof seal (I've rigged boats and know how to seal through-hull fittings). I cut the inner tubing piece at 5/8" long, which covered the solder joint entirely.

img6103: outer tubing pieces.
I cut these at twice the length of the inner pieces at 1.25" (or as close as an angle grainder would allow).
The outer tubing was epoxy bedded with internal epoxy smeared into the lead-end of the tubings, and, onto the heatshring at the interface, to completely fill the void. Overflow oozed, and was cleaned off. An adjustment was made, prior to the epoxy setting, to ensure that the shockmounting was still viable before the epoxy set the outer tube into place.

img6104 - 05 - 06:
Finished capsule and mic body. I tried to show the epoxy bedding and seal.
I'm going to cover this in heat shrink, and, self adhesive velcro, loop-sided tape (not the hooks), for ease of strapping to stands, and spreaders, etc.

I used:
Mogami W2697 Miniature Balanced Mic Cable - lavalier mic cable
K&S Precision Metals Brass tubing, #'s 8131 inner & 8132 outer (confirmed numbers - previously speculated)
Switchcraft 1/8" 3.5mm TRS stereo male connector - straight
JB-Weld KWIK epoxy (you can fix your tractor with this shit!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:05:14 PM by Moke »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 09:39:05 PM »
Looks awesome.  Start stocking up on these and you could get a nice cottage industry going on ebay  ;)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

mfrench

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 06:11:01 PM »
thanks!

and, we're done.

img6109:  finished pair, w/ heat shrink applied.
nothing like a macro-image to show you the rough spots. I've since reheated the shrink and tightened it up.

img6110: first time the stereo-in jack has been used in the DPA MMA6000

img6111: with the uBICuitous Lighter to show scale

mfrench

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 12:59:16 PM »
A couple of build-up observations:

The smaller inner tubing piece could be used as a solo piece of tubing.  When dry, the rubber grabbed the brass, and only allowed a small insertion into the brass tube.
When epoxy was applied, it acted like a lubricant, and, the rubber easily slipped into the brass tubing piece, all the way in. I had to adjust it back out.
So, the inner tubing piece would be adequate for lower profile build.
The inner tubing piece has an o.d. of .25", whch is an easy fit for heat shrink, as opposed to the next larger that I finished with, which was not as good a fit with the shrink tube. petty, but,...

Use of windscreens:
On my build-up, the windscreen fits over the capsule perfectly, by its own design.  I have actively shaken the mic, while upside-down, trying to dislodge the w.screen, and it stays put, perfectly.  I don't feel the threads are necessary to allow them to be used.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 01:03:27 PM by Moke »

Offline heathen

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »
Use of windscreens:
On my build-up, the windscreen fits over the capsule perfectly, by its own design.  I have actively shaken the mic, while upside-down, trying to dislodge the w.screen, and it stays put, perfectly.  I don't feel the threads are necessary to allow them to be used.

That is really good to know.  I want to be able to use the windscreens and assumed that I'd need to keep something for them to thread onto.

While recording, is there any audible effect of the mic moving within the windscreen?  Or is it a snug enough fit that it's not an issue?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

mfrench

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 03:52:01 PM »
We're supposed to get a strong Santa Ana wind event tomorrow, or, over the weekend. I'll fly them, and see what happens. I won't be anything more than a nature recording, and, noise from the road in the distance. But that will reveal a wind signature well enough.

mfrench

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 11:26:28 AM »
So, I sort of prepared this, this morning, with the best of intentions.
Problem: Pre-coffee; the eep hour for Moke
Result: Misnamed main folder.
Presented as: https://archive.org/details/test2.horizontal

Testing the windscreens this morning in a stiff Santa Ana wind.
I tested the mics with the windscreens on, without any form of securing them to the capsules.

I tested them in four ways:

Test-1) Dangling, swinging freely
Dangling from a spreader bar, with the windscreens providing their own vertical loading.  The wind was strong enough to cause them to sway back and forth, and, also causing the stand to wobble.

Test-2) Horizontal
With the mics velcroed to the spreader bar in a horizontal attitude; cables parallel to the length of the spreader, capsules at end, pointed outwardly, horizontally.

Test-3) Vertical
Mics mounted with capsules vertical, perpeindicular to spreader bar.

Test-4a&4b) As same track.
I spun the mics as if they were a set of jump ropes.  Then I clacked them together a few times at the end of this track.
stupid crazy audio. point: The screens stayed in place.

all said and done,...
If for nothing better, you can hear the birds that Sarge attracts to the yard. I love them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:05:11 PM by Moke »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 12:07:50 PM »
Excellent job Moke.This is the perfect application.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 01:48:41 PM »

https://imgur.com/a/JC3oUnZ

I was able to get my set wired up with help from a friend in the lab at work. They work!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:53:43 PM by beegar »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 02:11:02 PM »
Boy, it's been a long while since I've modified any mics. This is very, very intriguing for me. I just bought (4) to mess around with. I just love recording with omnis. Waterproof omnis are all the better. I just skimmed both threads and have a basic understanding of whats going on. It looks like the hardest part is separating the mic from the box housing?

I'll read more in depth before they come. But, I have a quick question to make sure I'm seeing this clearly. Once you get them separated from that box all you have to do is terminate them properly and use them with a 9v battery box? There is no additional circuitry needed to make them high SPL ready for recording?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2019, 03:22:41 PM »
Boy, it's been a long while since I've modified any mics. This is very, very intriguing for me. I just bought (4) to mess around with. I just love recording with omnis. Waterproof omnis are all the better. I just skimmed both threads and have a basic understanding of whats going on. It looks like the hardest part is separating the mic from the box housing?

I'll read more in depth before they come. But, I have a quick question to make sure I'm seeing this clearly. Once you get them separated from that box all you have to do is terminate them properly and use them with a 9v battery box? There is no additional circuitry needed to make them high SPL ready for recording?

The hardest part for me was wiring them up as the cable is so delicate. To remove the mics, you just pop off the bottom plate, score the rubber sleeve where it meets the plastic housing and pull out the mic. It takes about 2 minutes.

Max SPL for the regular MKE2 is 142 db. I think these should be good to go without mods.

mfrench

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 06:31:22 PM »

The hardest part for me was wiring them up as the cable is so delicate. To remove the mics, you just pop off the bottom plate, score the rubber sleeve where it meets the plastic housing and pull out the mic. It takes about 2 minutes.

Max SPL for the regular MKE2 is 142 db. I think these should be good to go without mods.

Agreed on the onboard wires. really tiny.  The kevlar thread is a pita too.  It took a while to finally see the "blue" wire that is suggested. It is a very light ice blue. I felt it before I really "saw" it.
Almost as hard,... that first cut across the wires to shorten them.

Offline heathen

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 06:42:54 PM »
I finally got around to messing with one of mine.  First I pried up the inside panel, which was easy by using a screwdriver.

Second, I broke out the Dremel.  (This is where things always get ugly.)  I wanted to try keeping the threads for the windscreen, if for no other reason than to see if it would work.  I carefully cut away at the hard plastic area between the body and the threads (if you look at it closely from the side there's a gap between the last thread and the body, so I just went to town there).  I obviously didn't want to inadvertently cut the wire, so I took my time and when it looked like I was getting close I'd stop and see if I could break it free by hand.  Eventually I could, and I was able to pull it out of the body.  There is that little flared bit of soft plastic that makes a seal with the interior of the body, and I was able to just pull that through.

I haven't tried to clean this up yet.  In the attached photos you can see the mic by itself, and screwed into the windscreen.  I'm not really sure where to go from here.  Anyone have ideas for making this easy to mount?  Maybe I could attach tubing to that bit of soft plastic that extends past the threads, a la Moke?  I want to try to keep the threads, in part because they'll help make a good seal from the elements (no pun intended).

Offline heathen

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2019, 07:01:45 PM »

Any idea what speed the gusts got to?  There are some points where there's audible wind noise (though I wonder if that would even be audible over an amplified concert).

Thanks for posting the demo of these...those birds were fun to listen to.  At one point I found myself thinking, "we don't have wind chimes...where is that coming from?"  Then I realized the obvious...

Offline heathen

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2019, 07:06:08 PM »
Approximately how much wire do you have to work with once it's free from the usb board?

I've got just under 6 1/4 inches.

mcfoster

Re: - hacks and modifications
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2019, 07:28:34 PM »
Nice work on these things everybody! I recordered a local funk jam at the crowbar in Tampa last week, clamped about 8' up PAS into my DR-05, nothing else in post except normalize. Sounds nice, a little bass heavy, but they were backed up to the wall. I did mine up with heat shrink and am pretty happy with the appearance and feel that they are fairly strain relived. here is a sample: War Pigs closer with horns, about 12 people onstage.

https://soundcloud.com/user-824235687/tampa-funk-night-011819-normalized16
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:30:06 PM by mcfoster »

mfrench

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2019, 08:25:57 PM »

Any idea what speed the gusts got to?  There are some points where there's audible wind noise (though I wonder if that would even be audible over an amplified concert).
Thanks for posting the demo of these...those birds were fun to listen to.  At one point I found myself thinking, "we don't have wind chimes...where is that coming from?"  Then I realized the obvious...

My pleasure. welcome.
15->25mph probably. It was a stout blow event.  Weird, we've been getting them more at night, as night winds.

Regarding your concern about the windscreens, and, the thread set.
The amount of times that I've used screeens on omnis is minimal, and, the last time I recorded a concert outdoors was a decade ago. So, the windscreens were fairly low on my list of priorities.
Now, with tht said,... none of the test had the screens becoming loose. But, I also realize that is not what makes some people feel at ease.
So, to keep the group think alive,... I gave this a go,..
I took a velcro tab, one of the newer style, thin, die-cut, smaller cable tabs, and, I secured it immediately below the mic, on the brass body region.  I wrapped it a couple of times until it was barely too large for the thread hole, and backed it off one coil, or so, until it wanted to fit, snugly. I then coiled it downward away from the mic capsule, creating a conical interface with the windscreen.  That conical interface provided a really snug seat in an interference-type fit.
In theory, you could use the hooks side out on the velcro, and, have the hooks side gripping into the internal threads.

As I have mentioned, I'm considering mounting some adhesive-back velcro onto the mic bodies, permanently, in order to aid in velcro mounting the mics to different surfaces.  WIth that sort of anchoring, I'd be very confident in calling a velcro collar a totally adequate replacement for the threads.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:30:10 PM by Moke »

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »
Best thread ever!
This is taperssection hacker lab right here.Well worth the price of admission.
I've got four now.I wonder if I should buy more.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

mfrench

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2019, 08:51:20 PM »
nothing clears up cloudy theory like pictures!

OK,... I mounted the velcro to the mic bodies, just to test this theory.
I'm totally done, and satisfied. It is a nice snug friction fit.  Its not thread tight, but its as good as any other properly fitted foam screen you've ever mounted.

img6127: w/ soft loops side of velcro mounted to mic bodies.

img6128: different angles of velcro/thread hole interface.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 08:52:50 AM by Moke »

Offline heathen

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2019, 04:11:21 PM »
More progress, and a slightly different approach...

I trimmed a bit of the lip off the flared end of the plastic, as visible in the first picture.

Then I used the K&S 8131 tubing suggested by Moke to give this a bit of a "body," as visible in the second picture.  With that flared end trimmed, the plastic fit nicely in the tube but not snug enough to keep it that way without some sort of adhesive.  My plan is to use the epoxy Moke used to hold it in place...hopefully that little nub of plastic will be enough to secure the tube.  We'll see.

Finally you can see my final plan.  I'm going to attach a gear tie to the "body" (for now I'm just using gaffer tape, and that may well be enough in the long run as well).  I'll then use the gear tie to secure the mic to wherever I want, whether it's a stand or a railing or whatever.  I'll probably run this with just gaffer tape at first to make sure I like it as a mounting option.  Note that the bulb end of the gear tie will not fit inside the 8131 tube.

Next step for me is to attach the extension cable, and then I'll hide the connection point inside the body.  I'll probably back fill that like Moke did.

mfrench

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2019, 08:59:18 AM »
Gude got all excited and started into playing dress-up,...

6112 & 6115:
The original HRTF mounting scheme vs. Senn Binaural protocol

6116 & 6117:
Senn MøKE2 as Binaural protocol held in place w/ Gaffers tape.

img002&003:
Original HRTF mounting experiment from around 1985 (nearing 35 years later, I'm declaring success with it).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:08:20 AM by Moke »

Offline Chuck

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »

Has anyone cut the rubber tubing and mesh screen off this yet? The waterproofing jacket I guess you could call it. Still on the road and haven't had mine in hand yet.

I want these to be as small as possible but thinking of a way to maybe adapt them somehow to fit back into a portion of the housing to be able to mount them in the open using the windscreen.

I'd be interested to see what it looks like under that rubber boot too.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:37:20 AM by Chuck »

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

mfrench

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2019, 09:52:38 AM »
Chuck,
You asked about powering them, in paraphrase,...
Can you plug these into a 9v battery pack, and good?

My first test was into my mod'd DPA MMA6000.  The MMA6k outputs 7vdc. THis worked, no problem.
I also have a mod'd DPA microdot batt pack that I took the microdots out of, and mod'd into two 1/8" stereo inputs (in case one breaks live) and a single 1/8" stereo output.  This device oututs 9vdc.
So, I grabbed the new pair, and, looked into that dark black hole, and, astuck it in, and, low and behold,..... wait for it,.....
perfect signal.
9vdc is fine.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2019, 09:59:37 AM »
Thanks Moke. I'm set with 9v battery boxes.
What about SPL handling? They don't need a 4.7k (or other value) resistor mod to handle loud sources?

mfrench

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2019, 10:09:45 AM »
Most welcome.
regarding SPL:
You got me there. I have no idea. My world is exactly the opposite of that (loud factor).

Offline heathen

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »
For anyone trying to get the jacket off those inner red and blue wires, a trick I read somewhere else is to use heat to melt away the end of the jacket.  I tried it with a lighter and it seems to have worked...damn things are so tiny though I can't tell if there are still traces of plastic left, but it doesn't appear so.

mfrench

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2019, 11:07:01 AM »
More progress, and a slightly different approach...

I trimmed a bit of the lip off the flared end of the plastic, as visible in the first picture.

Then I used the K&S 8131 tubing suggested by Moke to give this a bit of a "body," as visible in the second picture.  With that flared end trimmed, the plastic fit nicely in the tube but not snug enough to keep it that way without some sort of adhesive.  My plan is to use the epoxy Moke used to hold it in place...hopefully that little nub of plastic will be enough to secure the tube.  We'll see.

Finally you can see my final plan.  I'm going to attach a gear tie to the "body" (for now I'm just using gaffer tape, and that may well be enough in the long run as well).  I'll then use the gear tie to secure the mic to wherever I want, whether it's a stand or a railing or whatever.  I'll probably run this with just gaffer tape at first to make sure I like it as a mounting option.  Note that the bulb end of the gear tie will not fit inside the 8131 tube.

Next step for me is to attach the extension cable, and then I'll hide the connection point inside the body.  I'll probably back fill that like Moke did.

looking good.

The epoxy backfill was an attempt to isolate the solder joint as much as possible, to keep it stable and free of motion.  I appled some cyanoacrylate "Crazy Glue" gel glue, to the inside of the heat shrink, prior to shrinking it, to attempt the same isolating.

epoxy tip:
To center the cable, use three toothpicks, triangulated around the cable. You'll only be able to fit the tips in. Make sure to pull them out before the glue goes hard.  I mix on a paper plate, and, leave the leftover behind to test for curing.

JB-Weld has great flow characteristics!  Fill your void, and then hang the mic capsule vertically over a towel bar, or whatever, and, the epoxy will flow into and fill the voids perfectly.

Building layers of epoxy is easier than trying all at once.  I did a major sub-filling, and then a finish top-off.

Denatured alcohol cleans up JB-Weld, quite well.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:22:30 PM by Moke »

Offline heathen

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2019, 11:27:31 AM »
Thanks for the tips Moke.  I was actually thinking about PM'ing you with questions about using JB Weld because I've never used it before.  The lav cable I need for this is on the way, and I'm hoping to do more tinkering as soon as it arrives.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2019, 11:36:07 AM »
JB Weld is awesome. It works just as Moke says.

mfrench

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2019, 08:16:13 PM »
JB-Weld, the regular slow-dry, to pot these Stubbies, and, made a custom right angle stereo output cable for my MMA6k; poured in place.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:17:50 PM by Moke »

mfrench

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2019, 06:56:52 PM »
Another sample added with the MKE2 pair.
This is a thunderstorm that rolled through this afternoon.  We don't get them often, and, when we do, they roll through quickly.
I set up Güde in my front entrance breezeway, just far enough back to keep from getting too wet (a few drops did hit, but minimal).  I ran the mics as the HRTF example posted in the list earlier, and let it run its course. This is with the head facing the wind, and no windscreens; It was a thunderstorm blowing through, with wind.
Find it here, under thunder2019-01-31_mke2-hrtf:
https://archive.org/details/test2.horizontal

Highlights, or, other things to listen for,...
> Cars on our street.
We are on a slope that reaveals the road as lower to the right, and, in line of sight. As the cars approach, you can hear them more to the right, and then crossing to center, and then becoming naturally attenuated, as our front slope is high to the left, and low to the right, diagonally across the sound field. By the time the cars reach center from the right, they are disappearing behind/into the slope. Cars coming down the road emerge at center, and move right.

> Birds doing their thing. It was raining, and they were mostly hiding, but audible.

> Thunder! the whole point of this.
sub-point,... in the left channel, you can hear the thunder shaking the heck out of my steel garage.
The rain is also made to sound really bright by my rain gutters.

The first clap of thunder has a touch of clipping, as I was literally running to get this set up. Our thunder storms are rare and extremely brief. When I hit record, I was a touch too hot; nothing too drastic, but, overs nonetheless. Adjustment made, and clean through the rest.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:00:35 PM by Moke »

Offline Chuck

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 09:47:46 AM »
I'm working on doing something like this:

Offline heathen

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
That looks slick!  What clip is that?

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2019, 11:03:41 AM »

Offline Chuck

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2019, 11:10:13 AM »
I got them on Amazon, but they aren't there anymore. I found the same ones on eBay. Search: "10Pack Mini Clip-On Microphone Holders Mic Lapel Tie Clip Replacement 12mm" Those come from China.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pack-Mini-Clip-On-Microphone-Holders-Mic-Lapel-Tie-Clip-Replacement-12mm/391931006022?hash=item5b40e88c46:rk:1:pf:0

Offline Chuck

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2019, 11:12:19 AM »
That looks slick!  What clip is that?

Not sure if it's the same, but this one looks similar: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-x-microphone-lapel-tie-clip-for-Lapel-Lavalier-Mic-Black/32823945525.html

They look to have a smaller grip than the 12mm clips I bought. I saw several different sizes then I found mine.

mfrench

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2019, 11:14:18 AM »
Is that an RCA connector?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2019, 11:16:46 AM »
Yeah. I have a box full of different sizes of them. That's the first one I tried. I want to get the size and weight down from that one. I like the idea of using an RCA socket to terminate them though, but it does add weight.

Offline heathen

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »
I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with as people have more time to mess with these.  I'm considering buying more just cuz.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2019, 02:16:20 PM »
This is what they look like stripped down...

mfrench

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2019, 04:32:15 PM »
all through that bitty little hole.

So, what did it take to get that cap off?
I'm guessing the inner silver screen is integrated within that cap?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2019, 06:23:46 PM »
all through that bitty little hole.

So, what did it take to get that cap off?
I'm guessing the inner silver screen is integrated within that cap?

It wasn't that difficult to pry apart. I used an exacto knife to loosen it a bit before I tugged on it. It's just glued in place. The silver screen appears to be glued on too. I did notice there was a membrane over that hole in the part that has the silver screen.

I actually didn't intend to take it all apart, but I accidentally broke the red wire so far into the thing when I was playing with it that I figured I'd just sacrifice one for the team. ;)

For what it's worth, as everyone has said, those wires are very small. I have several wire strippers and none would cut the jacket off the red and light blue wires without cutting the wire too. I resorted to using my teeth and that's how I broke the red wire. :(

So, this is my finished hack. I used the strain relief from some mini xlr plugs to seal the back. I decided RCA jacks would be the best way to terminate them for me. Tomorrow I'm going to crank up the stereo and test them against my other omnis.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2019, 06:29:08 PM »
One more image with the RCA jack.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2019, 06:57:02 PM »
Wow.  Great hacking there.
Now we finally see what is inside.
These look like they would be great for outdoor festival recording.  All those times you get caught in the rain.  Worry no more, your microphones are still safe :)

Offline Chuck

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2019, 07:06:17 PM »
Thanks Richard.

Do you have any idea what SPL's these can handle? There are three wires, but two are tied to each other, so basically two wire mics.

That's all I'm worried about is that they'll overload.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2019, 07:43:56 PM »
Plug in power, mic sens LO, level #2 on Sony PCM-M10.124dBrms @ 250Hz calibrator is just under maximum level.A pure sine wave, no distortion.
These things are not going to distort is my guess.
Perfect for plug in power.

Offline heathen

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2019, 08:06:19 PM »
Those look slick!  Team MKE2 is really taking shape.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2019, 08:13:58 PM »
Plug in power, mic sens LO, level #2 on Sony PCM-M10.124dBrms @ 250Hz calibrator is just under maximum level.A pure sine wave, no distortion.
These things are not going to distort is my guess.
Perfect for plug in power.

Great news. Thanks Richard!

mfrench

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2019, 09:22:13 PM »
I do like the RCA notion.  I think you did well in the mini-xlr end cap, rather than trying to build them into the rca connector.

On the wire, I practiced on the cut-off cable, and found that my fingernails did a decent job of stripping. I was able to get the wire exposed. In tinning them, I noticed that the solder just sort of pushed the insulation aside as it wicked into the wire strands.
I also used a razor blade and pushed my finger lightly against it with the wire trapped in between.  It took a portion of the insulation off, as it sort of pigtailed; but also appeared to take some wire with it.

Speculation:
Maybe not totally necessary to strip the insulation?

I also found a pair of nail clippers helped in removing the kevlar thread.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2019, 08:39:02 AM »
Nice work Chuck!!  Those look awesome.

One more image with the RCA jack.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Chuck

« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »
I had a chance to test the Sennheiser MKE 2's against my favorite omnis, the Audix CPS-MICRO-O.

The MKE 2's where punchier and less open sounding. They had better bass response that the Audix mics and on some material sounded truer to the source. Not as hyped as the CPS-MICRO-O's.

I ran them into a Core Sound battery box, which does not supply gain.

I noticed a few interesting things while testing.

They didn't need a mic pre-amp at loud, but still home listening levels. I just ran them straight from the battery box into my Mixpre 6 XLR inputs set to line in.

The phase was reversed compared to the Audix mics and my Microtech Gefell M300's.

They were very well matched in frequency response , but ~2db off in output.

I think the Sennheiser MKE2's  are going to be an excellent addition to my microphone arsenal.

Offline heathen

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2019, 01:17:01 PM »
I had a chance to test the Sennheiser MKE 2's against my favorite omnis, the Audix CPS-MICRO-O.

The MKE 2's where punchier and less open sounding. They had better bass response that the Audix mics and on some material sounded truer to the source. Not as hyped as the CPS-MICRO-O's.

I ran them into a Core Sound battery box, which does not supply gain.

I noticed a few interesting things while testing.

They didn't need a mic pre-amp at loud, but still home listening levels. I just ran them straight from the battery box into my Mixpre 6 XLR inputs set to line in.

The phase was reversed compared to the Audix mics and my Microtech Gefell M300's.

They were very well matched in frequency response , but ~2db off in output.

I think the Sennheiser MKE2's  are going to be an excellent addition to my microphone arsenal.

It's good to hear your impressions.  One question I have is whether you were using the Sennheisers stripped from the bodies (like in the picture you recently poster showing the cap without the grid/membrane)?

Also can you expand on what you mean by "punchier?"

Offline Chuck

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2019, 01:47:15 PM »
Hi heathen,

I used them with the grill and membrane in place as pictured with the RCA connectors on the ends.

The Audix mics have an airy quality about them. More top end with slightly  scooped mids. The MKE 2's are fuller in the mids and sound more centered and not as airy in the top end.

To get an idea of what the Audix mics sound like:

https://archive.org/details/furthur2012-09-22
https://archive.org/details/er2018-05-20.omni
https://archive.org/details/ttws2018-08-03
https://archive.org/details/moe2018-07-12.omni

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2019, 02:10:20 PM »
I'm going to test these on Friday night at the Lil' Smokies show here in Atlanta. I'm really looking forward to seeing how these sound, especially if they work with PIP.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2019, 03:42:49 PM »
I just spoke with Sweetwater, there are quite a few left, WS for $10 and mics+WS for $20.
I'm going to build a few pairs of these for outdoor recording/ surveillance type applications.
If anyone wants to dis-assemble them, take off the protective screen, the raw MKE2 capsules might sound a little better without the cover.  I have not experimented with this yet.  Happy to build a few sets of "waterproof"/"windproof" mics for now.
I just bought a few more. Thanks again to members of TS.com for the connection :)

Richard

Offline heathen

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2019, 03:47:54 PM »
I just bought a few more. Thanks again to members of TS.com for the connection :)

I did too last week.  It's just too good of a deal to pass up.  For $20 each I can make several pairs, each purpose-built for a specific function.

Online lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2019, 08:53:37 PM »
Richard mentioned the waterproof membrane. Has anyone attempted to remove this yet?

I've got a couple of sets of these and I'm scared to death to deal with these tiny wires. Anyone in the mod market to do up a set for me?

Also, props to Sweetwater. Not the first dealings with them, and their customer service is top notch.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Chuck

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2019, 09:40:47 AM »
Hi lsd2525, that membrane is part of the plastic/wire mesh section that can be separated away from the element. I haven't tried to remove it.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »
By the way, Sennheiser has lots of experience with protection of the diaphragm.
The MKE2 lav mic has a protective "dual diaphragm" in front.If you buy the raw KE4 capsule, it does not.
If you've got a mic (exposed 4.5mm dia capsule), look right into the hole.Shine a light in there and look at the reflection.  if you see gold you've got a raw capsule, if you see silver you've probably got a second diaphragm in there.
Sennheiser insiders may know more about this.
IMO the KE4 sound a little better and more clear than the MKE2.I've got both in my mic cache.
  Richard

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2019, 12:05:44 AM »
I used the mics tonight but it turned out sounding bad. Almost like clipping but it was set to peak at ~-9db. Maybe the CA9100 supplied too much power?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
I used the mics tonight but it turned out sounding bad. Almost like clipping but it was set to peak at ~-9db. Maybe the CA9100 supplied too much power?

I was afraid of that. My tests show that they can run line in from a battery box. Did you try the "0" setting on the 9100? That would just make it a battery box without gain.

Offline heathen

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
I'm planning to wire my first pair of these to mono mini XLRs.  Is there any reason I couldn't use the AT8531 power modules with these mics?

mfrench

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2019, 11:59:06 PM »
My first run with them was this morning. I cannot say enough good about what I've briefly heard of them. I let Sarge clamp the cans on, and she commented on how clear it sounded.
I record quite frequently in this room; noisy HVAC is my worst comment about it. Its a nice sounding room, just noisy.
I ran Gude Head as both Senn. protocol binaural, and, with the new MKE2 pair on Gudes head, as HRTF stereo. I also ran the cm3 pair as XY_90º as a "control copy", in case the building got nuked, and Gude exploded, the old folks started into slam dancing, or whatever.
All acoustic, except the vocalist.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:01:24 AM by Moke »

Offline heathen

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2019, 12:35:39 AM »
If someone can help me with how I should wire these I'd appreciate it.  For now, I want to wire each mic to its own mini XLR.  Here's the info from the other thread:

I would put the red on pin 2 and put the blue and shield on 1 or 3 then put a jumper between 1 and 3. Remember the blue and shield are shorted at the capsule so there's no advantage to running an xlr except for a sturdier connector.

Does that sound accurate?  If so, how do I put a jumper between 1 and 3?  I've never done that before.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2019, 01:51:28 AM »
My first run with them was this morning. I cannot say enough good about what I've briefly heard of them. I let Sarge clamp the cans on, and she commented on how clear it sounded.
I record quite frequently in this room; noisy HVAC is my worst comment about it. Its a nice sounding room, just noisy.
I ran Gude Head as both Senn. protocol binaural, and, with the new MKE2 pair on Gudes head, as HRTF stereo. I also ran the cm3 pair as XY_90º as a "control copy", in case the building got nuked, and Gude exploded, the old folks started into slam dancing, or whatever.
All acoustic, except the vocalist.

What were you using to power the mics?
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

mfrench

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2019, 09:07:45 AM »
@ycoop
I used my DPA MMA6000 preamp, which I converted years ago to handle a 1/8" stereo input and, the microdots as well.

mfrench

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »
The mics are definitely sensitive.  This might be an issue to loud music. Perhaps that 4.7 mod might be necessary? (sorry, I don't even know what that mod is/does).  But, the mics are definitely more sensitive than my 4060 pair.
Yesterday,... I've recorded that ensemble for nearly twenty years now.  I've recorded in that room extensively.
With my DPA4060 pair, I needed to add on the lines of 18dB gain.  Yesterday, the preamp was mostly acting as a battery box, with little added gain (perhaps 2dB+ added?).

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2019, 10:49:02 AM »
If someone can help me with how I should wire these I'd appreciate it.  For now, I want to wire each mic to its own mini XLR.  Here's the info from the other thread:

I would put the red on pin 2 and put the blue and shield on 1 or 3 then put a jumper between 1 and 3. Remember the blue and shield are shorted at the capsule so there's no advantage to running an xlr except for a sturdier connector.

Does that sound accurate?  If so, how do I put a jumper between 1 and 3?  I've never done that before.

I would use two wire shielded cable (lets say the wires in your cable are red, blue and shield)

Connector end
1 blue
2 red
3 shield

Connection to mic
red to red
blue and shield tied together to blue and shield

Or you could just wire them straight through
red to red to pin 2
blue to blue to pin 1
shield to shield to pin 3

then take a very small piece of wire, a half inch or so, barely strip it on both ends and tin it, then after you have connected your cable to connector you add the short piece between the connector cups of 1 and 3 on the connector. Be careful not to unsolder the existing connections while you get the jumper in there and have the solder flowing. If you have a little extra wire from the jumper you can prob make it fit inside the connector housing easily enough. This is easier in a larger connector like an XLR but it's doable in a TA3. When doing smaller connectors I gently clamp them in the jaws of a vice grip to hold them steady. Don't get too crazy with the solder it could overflow the cup and short the connections.

This is assuming your device you are connecting to is pin 2 +, pin 1 -, pin 3 ground.

Why are you using mini XLR? Do you have an existing preamp that has those inputs?

mfrench

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »
I added a live sample of acoustic music to this folder:
Find: MøKE2_Live-Sample

What is it?
You're totally going to recognize the melody. If you don't, well,...
This is a short portion sample of Thomas Jeffersons presidential campaign song from the late 1700's.  The lyrics were originally written for this campaign song, and later "converted" to another song.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:05:17 AM by Moke »

Offline heathen

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
Why are you using mini XLR? Do you have an existing preamp that has those inputs?

For the more secure connection, and to try using these with the AT8531 power modules.

Thanks for the info!

Offline heathen

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2019, 03:44:24 PM »
Well, my first attempt was a failure.  I'm not sure where I went wrong but it didn't work. 

Offline Chuck

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2019, 06:44:37 PM »
Well, my first attempt was a failure.  I'm not sure where I went wrong but it didn't work.

Those AT power modules are three wire, red, yellow and bare (sink). I was under the impression you can't use them with two wire mics. I hope I'm wrong, because I have a pair of them and it would be great to finally use them for something.

I've included a schematic I found.

Offline heathen

« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2019, 07:21:55 PM »
Yeah I think you're right. I made a quick stereo mini plug Y cable and it worked with a CA9200!

Offline Chuck

« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2019, 07:37:40 PM »
I'd try the 9200 set to "0" and go line in to your recorder.

I'm going to try my MKE 2's on Wednesday. An ambient band with no drummer.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2019, 02:31:20 AM »

I was afraid of that. My tests show that they can run line in from a battery box. Did you try the "0" setting on the 9100? That would just make it a battery box without gain.

Nope, I ran it at 5 o clock as usual (as w/ AT853) and figured since the levels on the M10 we're good, it was ok. I'm under the impression that the gain on the 9100 is fixed and the potentiometer controls the signal level output - please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know much about the tech behind the mics. Would supplying less power via PIP vs 9v have less of a chance of overloading the mics?

I moved back a few rows during the encore and the sound was noticably better with a small amount of clipping on the peaks and crowd noise.

Would a sound sample be useful? I think the recording is a write off.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:53:42 AM by beegar »

Offline Chuck

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2019, 10:01:35 AM »
I did a very unscientific test over the weekend. I held the MKE 2 mics in my hand and hummed/talked very loudly into them. They brick walled at some point at every setting I used, including line in with a straight battery box.  As Moke mentioned, they are very sensitive. He used around 18 db less gain than he uses with his DPA4060's!

Offline heathen

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »
Does the CA9100 incorporate the 4.7k mod?

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2019, 10:34:00 AM »

Mine doesn't (as far as I know - just the HPF switch), but you could order the 3 wire version with a switchable 4.7k mod IIRC.

I'm planning to test out three more possibilities at a "burner" show soon:

1) MKE2 > CA9100 at unity gain (around 11 o clock) > M10 line in
2) MKE2 > CA9100 w/ attenuation (switched on to the lowest setting > M10 line in
2) MKE2 > M10 mic in w/PIP

Can someone help me understand a bit of what's happening here? I'm assuming the SPL was too much for the capsule but levels at the recorder were fine. I imagine that it is possible that the M10 was attenuating the signal to keep it at -9db but I think I had it at around 5 or so.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:57:17 AM by beegar »

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:40 AM »

Mine doesn't (as far as I know - just the HPF switch), but you could order the 3 wire version with a switchable 4.7k mod IIRC.

I'm planning to test out three more possibilities at a "burner" show soon:

1) MKE2 > CA9100 at unity gain (around 11 o clock) > M10 line in
2) MKE2 > CA9100 w/ attenuation (switched on to the lowest setting > M10 line in
2) MKE2 > M10 mic in w/PIP

Can someone help me understand a bit of what's happening here? I'm assuming the SPL was too much for the capsule but levels at the recorder were fine. I imagine that it is possible that the M10 was attenuating the signal to keep it at -9db but I think I had it at around 5 or so.
If you can run plug in power, low sens on M10,turn down till just below clipping level.
Let us know that level. If it is #2 or above it should not distort.  If it is below #2 you've got brickwall distortion.
  Richard

Offline heathen

« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2019, 01:45:45 PM »
Can you guys share some tips for soldering the thin wires from the mic to the wires of an extension cable?  (I'm using Mogami W2697 FWIW.)  I spent longer than I care to admit yesterday trying to solder the wires together and while it worked (eventually...) it was bulky and sloppy.  Luckily that was on a mic that I'd already intended to be just for practice.

Offline heathen

« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »
Or you could just wire them straight through
red to red to pin 2
blue to blue to pin 1
shield to shield to pin 3

then take a very small piece of wire, a half inch or so, barely strip it on both ends and tin it, then after you have connected your cable to connector you add the short piece between the connector cups of 1 and 3 on the connector. Be careful not to unsolder the existing connections while you get the jumper in there and have the solder flowing. If you have a little extra wire from the jumper you can prob make it fit inside the connector housing easily enough. This is easier in a larger connector like an XLR but it's doable in a TA3. When doing smaller connectors I gently clamp them in the jaws of a vice grip to hold them steady. Don't get too crazy with the solder it could overflow the cup and short the connections.

I ended up doing red to red, but didn't solder a wire between the cups on 1 and 3.  Instead, I twisted the blue and shield together partially, so they made a Y.  I tinned the twisted part to make sure they held together well.  Then I connected each free end to 1 and 3.  That accomplishes the same thing, right?

mfrench

« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2019, 07:06:56 PM »
Can you guys share some tips for soldering the thin wires from the mic to the wires of an extension cable?  (I'm using Mogami W2697 FWIW.)  I spent longer than I care to admit yesterday trying to solder the wires together and while it worked (eventually...) it was bulky and sloppy.  Luckily that was on a mic that I'd already intended to be just for practice.

This looks to have been answered, above, but, this is what I did,..

I first tinned all leads.
Then I cleaned the iron tip, and very lightly tinned the iron. I had the iron set at an angle to create a drip at the tip. I then brought both leads up under the soldering iron tip, and into the slight drip of melted tin. They joined, and I carefully pulled them away from the heat, and, watched the tin flash hard. mission accomplished.
One of those alligator clip/magnifying glass holder dealieo things would probably be really handy; but never around when you need one.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:58:27 PM by Moke »

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2019, 07:10:41 PM »
I did a very unscientific test over the weekend. I held the MKE 2 mics in my hand and hummed/talked very loudly into them. They brick walled at some point at every setting I used, including line in with a straight battery box.  As Moke mentioned, they are very sensitive. He used around 18 db less gain than he uses with his DPA4060's!

I usually set up a known rig in front of my home speakers and play with volume and or distance until I get normal levels at my usual settings. Set up at the same spot and you can get a pretty good starting point for levels on the new rig. I thought the mke2's were sensitive but not to the point where it wasn't manageable.

mcfoster

« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »
Hey folks, just wanted to let you know I seem to be having some nice success with these into my DR-05. I am not having overloading issues at all. Check out some of last nights pull. A nice show from the band, lots of originals in the first set, and a heavy on the GD second. I never pictured myself an omni guy, but it's really nice to be able to leave my 100 dollar rig just about anywhere and let it do it's thing.

https://archive.org/details/JohnKadlecik2019-02-10

Offline heathen

« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2019, 11:04:24 PM »
Hey folks, just wanted to let you know I seem to be having some nice success with these into my DR-05. I am not having overloading issues at all. Check out some of last nights pull. A nice show from the band, lots of originals in the first set, and a heavy on the GD second. I never pictured myself an omni guy, but it's really nice to be able to leave my 100 dollar rig just about anywhere and let it do it's thing.

Awesome!  So you're just running these straight to the DR-05 with PiP and no pre/BB?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2019, 08:07:56 AM »

Nice sounding recording. Thanks for making it available.

mcfoster

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2019, 08:18:58 AM »

Awesome!  So you're just running these straight to the DR-05 with PiP and no pre/BB?
/quote]

Yes, nothing else, my mic power is on, and my gain setting is at -48. I may try to see if it ill run ok at a loud show at -24. I'll let you know if it can handle that.

Offline heathen

« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2019, 08:47:09 AM »
It's good to see that these can handle higher SPLs.  I'm really impressed with how they sound from only PiP.  Do you know how much the DR05 supplies?

mcfoster

« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2019, 09:01:09 AM »
It's good to see that these can handle higher SPLs.  I'm really impressed with how they sound from only PiP.  Do you know how much the DR05 supplies?

I believe it is 2.9 volts. I had noted earlier in the first thread that it supplies just under 3V. Having trouble finding the spec again. Also, where they were positioned, I would say it was in the range of 100db, ad it was showing about 90 at the board which was not too far away. It was nice to see a show that sounded great and din't make the ears bleed.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
This is very good news. :)

Offline heathen

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2019, 10:00:14 AM »

I believe it is 2.9 volts. I had noted earlier in the first thread that it supplies just under 3V. Having trouble finding the spec again. Also, where they were positioned, I would say it was in the range of 100db, ad it was showing about 90 at the board which was not too far away. It was nice to see a show that sounded great and din't make the ears bleed.

Maybe these won't end up being suited for super loud indoor shows.  That wouldn't bother me too much because I primarily intend to use mine outdoors, and I generally find that all things being equal the outdoor shows don't seem as loud as indoor shows.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »
I just did a very unscientific test with my stereo and the configurations I proposed in the previous post. It looks like PIP is the way to go - I got plenty of gain and headroom with no signs of clipping with my stereo at moderate to high volume.

So am I correct in my thinking here: The mics cannot handle the 9v of power my 9100 puts out; the post preamp signal was not the issue as it was clipping at the mic end?

Here's the waveform db from the recording attempt the other night and it was what I suspected - straight brickwall. You can see when the band started at 41:10.

https://imgur.com/a/VlHEH4y
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:48:28 AM by beegar »

Offline Chuck

« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
I just did a very unscientific test with my stereo and the configurations I proposed in the previous post. It looks like PIP is the way to go - I got plenty of gain and headroom with no signs of clipping with my stereo at moderate to high volume.

So am I correct in my thinking here: The mics cannot handle the 9v of power my 9100 puts out; the post preamp signal was not the issue as it was clipping at the mic end?

Here's the waveform db from the recording attempt the other night and it was what I suspected - straight brickwall. You can see when the band started at 41:10.

That's what I was getting with a 9v battery box (no gain) going line in to my MixPre-6 1/8" jack. But, I'd think less voltage would make it worse...

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2019, 01:05:14 PM »

That's what I was getting with a 9v battery box (no gain) going line in to my MixPre-6 1/8" jack. But, I'd think less voltage would make it worse...
Hmm.  Wonder if 9v is too high.Some digital circuits don't want more than 5v.
Anyway, Plug in power seems to work very well.No need to a battery box, just more connectors to worry about.
By the way, the most reliable solution would be obtained with Zoom F1 recorder and screw locking 1/8" TRS connectors.
  Richard

Offline heathen

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »
I'm going to try to get a pair of mine all wired up soon, and once I do I'll go to some show I don't care about (or even a bar band...as long as it's loud) and try as many configurations as I can.  Pre, BB, no BB, etc.

If these mics end up working for loud shows, and do even better without a BB/pre, then these may be my new go-to mics for deep stealth situations.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2019, 01:22:55 PM »
I'm taking mine out tomorrow night for the first time, but it won't be a loud show.

mcfoster

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2019, 01:56:06 PM »
I forgot to mention, I ran these without the windscreens on in an audio technica type mount and there was def some wind going on that night too, nothing crazy, but I don't hear it, I am wondering if the waterproof membrane might have had an impact on that.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2019, 03:39:23 PM »
I forgot to mention, I ran these without the windscreens on in an audio technica type mount and there was def some wind going on that night too, nothing crazy, but I don't hear it, I am wondering if the waterproof membrane might have had an impact on that.

More likely because they are Omnidirectional.
From DPA: Omnidirectional (pressure) microphones are, in general, less sensitive to wind compared to directional (pressure gradient) microphones. The difference is based on design — the pressure mic’s membrane is less compliant than that of the pressure gradient’s. The higher stiffness of the pressure mic’s membrane provides approximately 10 dB lower sensitivity to wind noise compared to the pressure gradient mic.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2019, 04:27:27 PM »

From DPA: Omnidirectional (pressure) microphones are, in general, less sensitive to wind compared to directional (pressure gradient) microphones. The difference is based on design — the pressure mic’s membrane is less compliant than that of the pressure gradient’s. The higher stiffness of the pressure mic’s membrane provides approximately 10 dB lower sensitivity to wind noise compared to the pressure gradient mic.

Right. Which is why omni's are a great choice for outdoor recording. I try to always run a pair of omnis along with whatever other pair I run outdoors. They'll produce a listenable recording under conditions which make cardioids or hyper-cardioids unlistenable.

mfrench

« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »

Yes, to all of that, and adding, after extensive discussions with Bruce Myers, ex.CEO of DPA N.A.,... the venting of directional mics is to the backside of the capsule.  This creates a high pressure/low pressure offset happening on either side of the mic capsule, and causes havoc to the membrane of the directional patterns.
Me: adores omnidirectional, and sub-card.

Offline heathen

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2019, 11:52:11 AM »
I got my first pair completed.  I wanted to see how difficult it would be to remove the flexible "stalk" from the screw part (it's not difficult at all...as someone else pointed out you can score it and then just pull them apart), so this initial pair ended up being like Moke's with no threading.  They seem fine from initial testing at home, but my next order of business will be to get them to a properly loud environment and do some testing.  I'll report back.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
I ditched the threading too. You'll notice you can still use that wind screen on what's left too. It's not super tight, but it still works.

Offline heathen

« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
I ditched the threading too. You'll notice you can still use that wind screen on what's left too. It's not super tight, but it still works.

Yeah.  I am going to look into adding something to the "body" of the mic to help stabilize and seal up the opening of the windscreen.  Maybe some kind of rubber grommet or something.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2019, 10:46:39 AM »
I took my MKE 2's out on Wednesday and they sounded great. SPL's up to ~100dB and no brickwalling. Also, my first time out with a v1 littlebox which I used to feed the mics 9v. I used the MKE's to fill in a SBD feed with audience ambience. When I have time I'll post a sample of just the mics.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2019, 01:07:24 PM »
Sennheiser Customer Support Team
Your original correspondence:
What is the SPL handling limit of the MKE 2 Elements Microphone for GoPro HERO4?

Good Day Charles
In regards to your request, we would like to provide you with the following information:
Max SPL for the element would be 142 dB at 1 hHz. the same as for the wired MKE 2 element.  The only difference is in the termination and housing.

https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/10328/SP_1170_v1.0_MKE_2_Product_Specification_EN.pdf

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »
Sennheiser Customer Support Team
Your original correspondence:
What is the SPL handling limit of the MKE 2 Elements Microphone for GoPro HERO4?

Good Day Charles
In regards to your request, we would like to provide you with the following information:
Max SPL for the element would be 142 dB at 1 hHz. the same as for the wired MKE 2 element.  The only difference is in the termination and housing.

https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/10328/SP_1170_v1.0_MKE_2_Product_Specification_EN.pdf

I assume these values are when the mics are provided with the proper voltage. USB generally is 5V if I’m not mistaken, so the 2.5-3V supplied by most recorders may have lower max SPL. That said even a steep drop from 142 dB would be more than enough for most of our needs.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2019, 04:06:03 PM »
I took my MKE 2's out on Wednesday and they sounded great. SPL's up to ~100dB and no brickwalling. Also, my first time out with a v1 littlebox which I used to feed the mics 9v. I used the MKE's to fill in a SBD feed with audience ambience. When I have time I'll post a sample of just the mics.

So you ran MKE2 @9v > Littlebox > Recorder? I'm curious as to how mine ended up brickwalled so badly with the same voltage supply. I'll have to try recording from the back of the room next time.

Offline heathen

« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2019, 04:54:04 PM »

So you ran MKE2 @9v > Littlebox > Recorder? I'm curious as to how mine ended up brickwalled so badly with the same voltage supply. I'll have to try recording from the back of the room next time.

Is there any chance it was an issue with your recorder?

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2019, 05:01:58 PM »

Is there any chance it was an issue with your recorder?

I don't think so. I tested it afterward with the MKE2s and it was fine with my stereo. I think it may have been that I was up too close to the speakers (3rd row or so) - I was getting as close to the source as possible to cut the chatter.

The db meter was fine for the entire show, which is why I didn't know there was a problem until it was too late. I'm not sure if it was clipping at the preamp, as I just set it and watched the show.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2019, 08:45:13 PM »

My source was: MKE 2 > littlebox > MixPre-6

The littlebox supplies 9.2v to the mics according to my VOM.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2019, 12:57:31 AM »
MKE2 elements > Zoom F1 plug in power > Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm headphones.
I used a thin dual shielded cable (from a Corel mic-headset), soldered to the thin mic wires, and covered that with gaffers tape.Gaffers tape visible in closeup picture.
Good for outdoor recording in high wind.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:04:25 AM by illconditioned »

Offline Chuck

« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2019, 09:19:35 PM »
Is that snow?

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2019, 09:27:05 PM »
Is that snow?
Yes, snow and very windy.Mics are sitting on ice covered driveway.
These mics sound excellent outdoors.  No problem whatsoever with very high winds.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2019, 03:21:36 PM »
Here is a sample of my first outing with the MKE 2's: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uhoqvCf0-5XpMg1-V_vqtbeBPZhUrXyj/view?usp=sharing

Small, shoe box type venue with the band setup on the short side with the soundboard (and me) against the short wall. MKE's taped to a light bar. Not the ideal position (too high).

Source: MKE 2 (spaced 10") >  littlebox (running in the orange/red) > Mixpre-6

I only normalized this, converted from 24 bit to 16 bit and added fades. No EQ or compression.

With a little EQ and mixing in with the SBD feed I came up with this: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com/audio.html#sge_2019-02

The SBD feed was mostly just vocals and acoustic guitar, so the balance is way off even with including a generous amount of the omni source.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2019, 09:59:52 PM »
Thanks to friends at tapersection I now have several pairs of these.

My second pair was just modified by removing mic from case, and wiring a cable to it with shrinkwrap.  Similar to what Moke did, but instead of a brass tube, I just covered everything with heatshrink LOL.
During this process I removed the mesh and the waterproof covers on the mic.  There is a thin diaphragm, some kind of spacer, and a standard (4.5mm) MKE2 capsule underneath.
I believe there is still an extra "umbrella diaphragm" inside the capsule, just like the standard MKE2.
These sound very nice.  Will be using them for (dry conditions) field recording.
 Richard

Offline Chuck

« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2019, 09:48:47 AM »
So Richard, you're using one pair without the wire mesh and rubber boot around it? I'd love to hear you're thoughts on the difference in sound if you ever do a comparison.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2019, 10:19:56 AM »
So Richard, you're using one pair without the wire mesh and rubber boot around it? I'd love to hear you're thoughts on the difference in sound if you ever do a comparison.
I took the wire mesh off, removed the protective diaphragm and glued the mesh back on.It is a thin (plastic) diaphragm in front.  Just peeled it off to expose a 4.5mm MKE capsule in the center of a plastic/rubber housing.
Yeah, I will do a comparison eventually.Ideally a comparison would have left channel original, right channel with exposed capsule, mics close together, both recording the same material.
 Richard

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2019, 04:28:07 AM »
Tried the MKE2 (naked capsules) today for rock and roll recording.
A rock band with small vocal PA + guitar and bass amps + drums.  Mics up close, 3' from stage, lying on a table.Zoom F1, plug in power, MID level setting.Just reached clipping 0dB level.  Richard

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »
Just in case this was not previously known, Sennheiser finally got back with me on confirming the MKE2 operating voltage.

Stand alone voltage for the MKE 2 Elements is 7.5V.  Their current consumption is ca. 250 µA

Offline Chuck

« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2019, 09:41:31 PM »
I just looked for another pair for $40 at eBay and at Sweetwater and they're all gone.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2019, 12:23:45 AM »
Ran the hat rig again tonight at John Kadlecik and it turned out perfectly ran on PIP from MixPre6. I suppose these things don't like 9v. These things sound pretty dang good for $20  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 12:40:22 AM by beegar »

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2019, 09:42:36 AM »
Ran the hat rig again tonight at John Kadlecik and it turned out perfectly ran on PIP from MixPre6. I suppose these things don't like 9v. These things sound pretty dang good for $20  ;D

That's good news. I hoped to run these off the plug in power on the Marantz 620 which is around 5V. Going to make a super small rig.

I'll have a chance to run them onstage at a bluegrass revue type of show with three bands while I run my usual 4 channel onstage + SBD rig. Looking forward to finishing these up this weekend and giving them a workout.

I moved a couple of times since I last did any stuff with my soldering/cable making goods and can't seem to find any of my black heat shrink or my hot air gun. Might have to use red shrink and my girlfriend's hair dryer....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:49:24 AM by goodcooker »

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2019, 01:02:10 PM »
Wow.  That was fast.Last I talked to Sweetwater they had several hundred in stock.
I wonder if someone bought up a bunch.
I got eight of them + two extra windscreen...
Thanks to my friends at TaperSection :)
Will post more pictures soon.
  Richard

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2019, 12:30:19 PM »
What do you guys think!

Will 8 Volt instead of 7.5 Volt fry these mics?

mfrench

« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
I ran mine into a 9v DPA battery pack that I modded years ago to 1/8" trs stereo (to remove the miocrodots for another project).  They ran fine at that - read: not immediately dead as a result.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2019, 02:00:21 PM »
Here's a sample from the John K show the other night. Nothing done but normalize up to -1db.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pptD2XOsvShDJWP9nxppn081kyB0K_Vf

Here's that sample with a mono Sennheiser e614 test run as a center channel:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10HoqrjVE12C4pLN4pfetRcxkSM_A853s

Both the MKE2s and e614 were in "test mode" as this was the first outing for the 614 and the second outing for the MKE2 rig - the first time ended with brickwalling using CA9100. MKE2s were in a hat on my table and the 614 was about 5 feet high PAS. I didn't expect these to be useable but they turned out pretty good IMO.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:14:38 PM by beegar »

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2019, 09:15:17 PM »
Here's a sample from the John K show the other night. Nothing done but normalize up to -1db.

Both the MKE2s and e614 were in "test mode" as this was the first outing for the 614 and the second outing for the MKE2 rig - the first time ended with brickwalling using CA9100. MKE2s were in a hat on my table and the 614 was about 5 feet high PAS. I didn't expect these to be useable but they turned out pretty good IMO.

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) measured the PIP voltage from a MP3?

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2019, 10:58:42 AM »

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) measured the PIP voltage from a MP3?

I haven't, but the user manual spec is "Mic 3.5 mm: 3 V @ 3k source Z"

Offline heathen

« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2019, 12:00:25 PM »
Anymore field experience with these?  I likely won't get to test mine out in a loud show until next month.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2019, 09:41:01 AM »
Just in case this was not previously known, Sennheiser finally got back with me on confirming the MKE2 operating voltage.

Stand alone voltage for the MKE 2 Elements is 7.5V.  Their current consumption is ca. 250 µA

The MKE 2 uses the KE 4-211-2 capsule that can take a voltage from 0.9V to 15V.

You can see the data sheet HERE

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2019, 04:45:32 AM »
I’m considering wiring these up to mini XLR jacks and having mics that can easily be disconnected from their cables to allow for easier storage, transport, and setup. Are there any obvious reasons to avoid this that I may be overlooking?

Offline heathen

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2019, 11:18:37 AM »
I’m considering wiring these up to mini XLR jacks and having mics that can easily be disconnected from their cables to allow for easier storage, transport, and setup. Are there any obvious reasons to avoid this that I may be overlooking?

I used mini XLRs.  I think the only downside is the size of the connectors. 

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »

I was thinking about having the jack/plug section sticking out the back and being in use, as opposed to taking that off and using the body of the connector and having the wire come out where the wire normally would.

Offline heathen

« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2019, 02:39:41 PM »

I was thinking about having the jack/plug section sticking out the back and being in use, as opposed to taking that off and using the body of the connector and having the wire come out where the wire normally would.

Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night, but I can't picture what you're describing.

Offline heathen

« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2019, 02:52:45 PM »
It occurred to me that I haven't posted a picture of the first pair I've made.  See attached (the other one looks the same but with black heat shrink instead of red at the connector end).  I still need to figure out a way to give the windscreens a tighter fit to the body.  They will hold when just slid on, but wind could easily get in the gap between the body of the mic and the inner radius of the windscreen opening.  I'll probably just tape the gear ties to the body for mounting these.  I should be able to get at least a 20 foot spread with the length of cable used.  Hopefully that will make for some good pulls at Red Rocks.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2019, 07:20:31 PM »

Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night, but I can't picture what you're describing.

I admittedly did not do a great job explaining. What I’m envisioning is something more similar to a standard SDC, with a male mini XLR plug at the end of a tube with the mic capsules at the opposite end. This would allow the cables to be easily disconnected from the capsules.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:10:34 PM by ycoop »

Offline heathen

« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2019, 07:31:36 PM »
I admittedly did not do a great job explaining. What I’m envisioning is something more similar to a standard SDC, with a male mini XLR plug at the end of a tube with the mic capsules at the end opposite end. This would allow the cables to be easily disconnected from the capsules.

Ah I see.  Probably doable.  If you try it make sure to share your progress here...I'd love to see it happen.

Online lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2019, 10:12:41 AM »
It occurred to me that I haven't posted a picture of the first pair I've made.  See attached (the other one looks the same but with black heat shrink instead of red at the connector end).  I still need to figure out a way to give the windscreens a tighter fit to the body.  They will hold when just slid on, but wind could easily get in the gap between the body of the mic and the inner radius of the windscreen opening.  I'll probably just tape the gear ties to the body for mounting these.  I should be able to get at least a 20 foot spread with the length of cable used.  Hopefully that will make for some good pulls at Red Rocks.

So what did you use to make the "bodies" ?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »

You could just wrap some gaff tape around the neck to make it fit tightly until you find something more permanent.

mfrench

« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2019, 11:00:25 AM »

Don't overthink omnis. They do not have the rear of capsule venting that directional mics do. That venting is what causes havoc. Directional mics suffer from wind; omnis are far more forgiving.  I'd be more worried about mechanical noise presented from the wind moving the screens, than any real wind noise.

mfrench

« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2019, 11:32:07 AM »
I've posted a sample from yesterdays symphony orchestra concert.  It is with the mics as Boundary Layer Effect pair, spaced 14', and taped tight to the balcony face wall; hard drywall face. This was an acoustic concert, no p.a.. From apprx. 17th row depth, balcony face.
Find: Romeo and Juliet Fantasy

Offline heathen

« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2019, 11:49:10 AM »

So what did you use to make the "bodies" ?

The brass tubing that Moke used.  He used two sizes, and I only used the smaller size.  It was in stock at Ace Hardware.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
That recording is nice Moke. I just love ambient omni recordings how they can really create the illusion you are there.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2019, 11:40:13 PM »
Would anyone here be willing to finish the mics I have hacked  for a fee? I got them out of the case and now that I have a relocation coming up very soon I certainly will not have time to finish them. Im just looking for 5 feet of cable to a mini plug nothing fancy and Id be willing to pay reasonable amount for time and parts. Just hate to put these on the shelf and not get any use out of them.

Since Im moving to New Orleans I may have lots of oppotunities to get a small rig on stage at club shows so having a pocket sized rig would be perfect.

Any help?

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »
I was messing with my M10 and forgot that I tested these mics at the Mother Hips show a few months ago. They sound really good straight into the recorder. Nice full bass and crisp highs. There is chatter but they're omnis so nothing lost there.

I'll post a sample this weekend if anyone's interested in how they handle higher SPLs.

Offline heathen

« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2019, 04:20:42 PM »
I finally got around to testing these in a loud show last night with my Roland R-05.  The samples I'm linking are purely for testing the mics...I had the two mics mounted close together, and only generally pointed towards the stage, so don't expect any good stereo image or the like.  (Also I can't say much for the music itself, but that's beside the point.)  I've done exactly zero post-processing to these clips.  At the time of recording, I wasn't particularly concerned about getting the levels the same for each sample...I was just concerned that the levels weren't clipping and were in the same general ballpark.  Here's a link to download all the clips (good for seven days): https://we.tl/t-NeHadQrBmJ  I'd really like to hear others' thoughts about which sound distorted, which sound like they're working properly, etc.

Here's a breakdown of how things were configured in each clip (note that there was some crackling from the PA at times):

0416_065737
Mic in, pip, mic bias 1.2, input level 9

0416_070200
Line in, ca9200 0 gain, input level 9

0416_070527
Line in, ca9200 10 gain, input level 5

0416_070946
Line in, ca9200 15 gain, input level 4

0416_071351
Line in, ubb, input level 9

0416_073700
Mic in, pip, mic bias .9, input level 20

0416_074110
Mic in, pip, mic bias .75, input level 20

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2019, 10:26:39 PM »

Here's a breakdown of how things were configured in each clip (note that there was some crackling from the PA at times):
0416_065737
Mic in, pip, mic bias 1.2, input level 9
Mics overloaded.  Plug in power not enough.
0416_070200Line in, ca9200 0 gain, input level 9
Good
0416_070527Line in, ca9200 10 gain, input level 5
Good
0416_070946Line in, ca9200 15 gain, input level 4
brickwall, due to preamp maximum input or output level?

0416_071351
Line in, ubb, input level 9
Good

0416_073700
Mic in, pip, mic bias .9, input level 20
SEEMS ok
0416_074110Mic in, pip, mic bias .75, input level 20
SEEMS OK

Offline heathen

« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2019, 12:10:21 AM »
I don't have a clear understanding of the mic bias setting, but it's interesting that the lower bias seems to have worked better...?

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2019, 10:34:46 PM »
Here's that sample from the Mother Hips show. I will be doing some more recording at a festival this weekend so I hope they all sound this good.

It's just the mics > M10 with PIP.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gu3CL8dYB0FsyVBmLqNALNgKN-juqxZG/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:09:20 AM by beegar »

Offline heathen

« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »
I'm suspicious of whether these can handle high SPLs.  I ran mine on stage Friday for the Golden Gate Wingmen, and there is audible distortion at times.  It was mics > CA9200 (0 gain, so it was just serving as a 9V battery box) > Roland R-05 line in. 

I still want to try them at Red Rocks, and I'm guessing behind the sbd at Red Rocks will be lower SPL than on stage so maybe they'll work for that purpose.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2019, 11:10:48 AM »
I ran them  >:D for Billy Strings this weekend from ~4th row and they break up a little on the loud bass notes. Seems like you need to be further back with these.

I was running a little over 1 on M10 mic in.

Online lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #169 on: April 22, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
I ran them  >:D for Billy Strings this weekend from ~4th row and they break up a little on the loud bass notes. Seems like you need to be further back with these.

PIP on, right? Was the mic sensitivity on hi or low?

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #170 on: April 22, 2019, 11:36:03 AM »

I'm not going to have time to do anything with mine before relocating. Anyone interested in another pair? PM me if so.

Just the mics and the windscreens. I tossed/recycled all the other stuff.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »

Yep PIP. Should be on low but I'll have to check when I get home.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2019, 03:02:50 PM »
Here's a sample from 420 fest. ~4th row from stage a bit left of center. I used declip in Izotope Elements and it helped a little with the bass clipping.

MKE2 > M10 (no preamp or battery box)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KOFT-KXPngosahzOwynBqsSYmRyPpr26/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:21:22 PM by beegar »

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »

Yep PIP. Should be on low but I'll have to check when I get home.

This sounds like an issue with insufficient voltage.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2019, 10:28:42 AM »
Yeah I believe so as well. I may try and build a 5v battery box at some point, but this project is pretty low in the queue.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2019, 05:29:44 PM »
I'll just chime in here again.
I love these mics, mainly for their waterproof cover and excellent windscreen.
I have noticed they are pretty "hot" mics.  That is, high output.  So you probably need a battery box.  A standard 9v battery box should work fine.  And run on Line In for loud shows.
  Richard

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #176 on: May 18, 2019, 02:58:46 AM »
Has anyone tried the windscreens yet? Wondering how acoustically transparent they are. Thinking of running split omnis (dpa 4061's) outdoors in a windy venue with these
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2019, 02:36:05 PM »
I'm suspicious of whether these can handle high SPLs.  I ran mine on stage Friday for the Golden Gate Wingmen, and there is audible distortion at times.  It was mics > CA9200 (0 gain, so it was just serving as a 9V battery box) > Roland R-05 line in. 

I still want to try them at Red Rocks, and I'm guessing behind the sbd at Red Rocks will be lower SPL than on stage so maybe they'll work for that purpose.

I wonder if these mics would be a good candidate for a 4.7k mod.

I still haven’t terminated mine and I’m considering this.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #178 on: May 25, 2019, 03:00:23 PM »

You cannot 4.7k mod these micsYes there are three wires coming from the mic (red, white, shield)but White is shorted to shield at the capsule.I suppose you could take the bare capsule out and mod, but this would require some effort.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #179 on: May 25, 2019, 09:34:50 PM »

You cannot 4.7k mod these micsYes there are three wires coming from the mic (red, white, shield)but White is shorted to shield at the capsule.I suppose you could take the bare capsule out and mod, but this would require some effort.

That’s too bad. I wouldn’t want to futz with them too much as I only have 2.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2019, 01:28:17 PM »
I'm planning on running these tomorrow night with a 9v battery box at Billy Strings. Would you guys suggest going line-in or mic-in with low sensitivity with the M10? The show is outdoors.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2019, 01:30:42 PM »
I'm planning on running these tomorrow night with a 9v battery box at Billy Strings. Would you guys suggest going line-in or mic-in with low sensitivity with the M10? The show is outdoors.

My MKE2 Gold are really hot I always use the M10 line Input with those.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2019, 03:28:37 PM »

You cannot 4.7k mod these mics Yes there are three wires coming from the mic (red, white, shield)but White is shorted to shield at the capsule.I suppose you could take the bare capsule out and mod, but this would require some effort.

One very simple solution for hot mics is this: (or something like it)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DJTB32/ref=twister_B07RV2RQ1T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2019, 03:47:24 PM »

You cannot 4.7k mod these mics Yes there are three wires coming from the mic (red, white, shield)but White is shorted to shield at the capsule.I suppose you could take the bare capsule out and mod, but this would require some effort.

One very simple solution for hot mics is this: (or something like it)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DJTB32/ref=twister_B07RV2RQ1T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Interesting... I wonder if there is a high quality version of this available somewhere...
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline Chuck

« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2019, 03:50:52 PM »
Unfortunately, that thing is a voltage divider and will mess with the bias voltage to the mics. It's not a good idea to use something like that between the mics and the recorder.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #185 on: May 31, 2019, 01:31:27 AM »
Unfortunately, that thing is a voltage divider and will mess with the bias voltage to the mics. It's not a good idea to use something like that between the mics and the recorder.
I have used it for years without any issues. I prefer the -10db attenuator that I got from m-audio, but this (or the ratshack version I have) has worked just fine.

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2019, 02:18:11 AM »
Yes, try M10 line input.I've used this several times for loud shows.The range of gain on the Line level input is pretty wide, so you won't overload it.
Let us know how it works ...

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2019, 09:09:42 AM »
Finally got a chance to try these outdoors. They're spaced 3ft. I am very impressed. I have about $100 in the entire rig.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?torrentId=606116

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2019, 11:11:58 PM »
Finally giving this project a go.

Liberated the elements and stripped the incredibly thin wires. Double checked the resistance of each element with a multimeter and got wildly different readings. One read 0.5 ohm and the other read 1.45 kohm. Any ideas? I’m worried I may have severed one of the wires inside the cabling when I was attempting to strip the insulation with my teeth.

On that note, a flame worked well to melt away the insulation on the red and blue wires.

mfrench

« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »
MKE2 mod pair, spaced 14', and secured tight to hard reflective balcony face (drywall) as Boundary Layer Effect stereo

My audio, and pro video...

MKE2 mod pair, spaced 14', and secured tight to hard reflective balcony face (drywall) as Boundary Layer Effect stereo

My audio, and pro video... pure acoustic concert. no pa, except spoken word.

Symphony 7 - Beethoven
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NZ9jJ3t0ijJQMeTuO2lxgpy_fYHPK7mQ/view

Triple Concerto - Beethoven:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DEUyoygsAtqb9O7uOf0Os7rqE9-FLmNY/view

Shostakovich encore
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10bUcnbxE03oVkfKeRcK9VMUJfDBuouC4/view
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:48:56 PM by Moke »

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2019, 02:07:02 AM »

My audio, and pro video...
Excellent.  Glad to hear the video guy(s) used it as well.

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #191 on: November 30, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »
I wonder what the difference is with the well-known Soundman OKM mic series. They are omni's and have several version (SOLO, ROCK, ROCK STUDIO)

http://www.soundman.de/en/products/okm-ii-studio-rock/

From the site
The OKM II Rock Studio  is made for extraordinary high sound pressure  like hard-rock-music even recorded direct on stage. The Rock-Version is providing a hugh headroom for extrem high sound pressure up to  142 dB.
For OKM II Rock Studio microphones we use Sennheiser capsuls.

technical data sheet
directional characteristic: omni directional
frequency response: 2o….2o ooo Hz +/- 3dB
sensitivity: 5 mV/Pa +/- 3 dB
-46 dB ref 1V/Pa +/- 3dB
sound field: reversed
max. sound pressure SPL: 132 dB (142 dB, K= 3 % U gr. als 7,5 V, R=18 kOhm)

Equivalent S/N ratio level
db ( A ), effective 26 dB
peek value ( CCIR 468-2 filter: 39 dB
feeding voltage: 4,5 V…+15 V

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 05:15:31 PM by Popmarter »
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2019, 05:47:46 PM »
I wonder what the difference is with the well-known Soundman OKM mic series. They are omni's and have several version (SOLO, ROCK, ROCK STUDIO)

I have no idea, but I have a pair of MKE2s wired to a single 3.5 mm jack. You are welcome to borrow them sometime, if you'd like. I have run them with no battery box into a Marantz PMD620 (~4.5 - 5 V plug-in power) with good results many times. It has been too long, in any event, so we should get together for a show even if you don't want to borrow the mics!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.747 seconds with 221 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com