Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audix microphones  (Read 8955 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
audix microphones
« on: January 27, 2003, 02:35:59 AM »
Does anyone know anything at all other than what I know about these :D  I have heard that they use the same caps as the mbho 603 series, but have a slightly different preamp design.  I was wondering if anyone knew what the differences are?  Do the two mics sound the same?

Thanks for the info

Daryan

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
Re:audix microphones
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 11:52:18 AM »
I know that they're from the US and that they make some very good drum mics, that's about all :)  I've heard the SCX-1's used in an aud/sbd mix before, but never solo.  I should've at least checked em out via headphones at the show that night, oh well.

They've also got a new mic coming out, or it's JUST out, that's about the size of a CCM series or 4022 with switchable hyper/card caps.  I think they're meant for use on congas/toms though, don't know how they'd measure up for us.

mr.gefell

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 06:17:40 AM »
hi
i could see benefits from mics designed form drum tests.
i would assume these mics capture details fast and can handle lot of hsl,probabaly lots od headroom as well.we'll see.

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2003, 10:49:41 PM »
They've also got a new mic coming out, or it's JUST out, that's about the size of a CCM series or 4022 with switchable hyper/card caps.  I think they're meant for use on congas/toms though, don't know how they'd measure up for us.

PDF is below.  these actually look kinda interesting.  specs look decent on the larger set.  
havta hear them, though.  

a little worried about the sensitivity numbers, but DPAs are very low in that category as well, and we all know what those sound like!  these have definate possibilities imho.   ;)

BTW:  here's an interesting site for comparing microphone specs:

http://www.microphonereview.com/

« Last Edit: February 04, 2003, 10:52:04 PM by hippies »

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 11:53:26 PM »
that's a cool website!  8) Thanks!

Bri

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2003, 10:56:26 AM »
Does anyone know anything at all other than what I know about these :D  I have heard that they use the same caps as the mbho 603 series, but have a slightly different preamp design.  I was wondering if anyone knew what the differences are?  Do the two mics sound the same?
Thanks for the info
Daryan

Hi Daryan (and All),

As a dealer of both brands, I have noticed the severe similarity of the capsules and have spoken with Audix and MBHO about this.  The capsule are the same but each manufacturer says they spend more time than the other on assuring the highest quality control. : )

The bodies (amplifiers) are each the respective design of each manufacturer and they do sound quite different.  The Audix are smooth and tonally balanced with a sound quite similiar to the Gefell M200/300 series.  The MBHO's are considerably more pronounced across the top end (ie. "brighter) and more similar in sound to the Neumann KM-100/180 series.

The "Micros" series is starting to ship.  We are going to have a pair of each the M1245 and the 1290's here for evaluation, comparison and available for rental soon.  We'll have samples in circulation as soon as possible.  The capsules for these are NOT made by MBHO.

[quote}i could see benefits from mics designed form drum tests.
i would assume these mics capture details fast and can handle lot of hsl,probabaly lots od headroom as well.we'll see.

Conceptually, I see where you are coming from but I would be wary of using this logic to determine how any microphone is going to perform in a taping application.  Any small diaphragm microphone should have a fast transient response but this is not enough to determine it as appropriate for other recording applications.  The frequency response of many mics, especially those designed for specific instruments, is tailored to the insrument for which it is designed.  As tapers, we are generally seeking a mic with a flatter frequency response than any mic developed for a specific instrument.

Happy Recording Everybody!!!

Marc

mr.gefell

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2003, 03:14:25 PM »
marc,
thank you for the input.

have you thought about testing out the gefell m930/ m940's?

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2003, 02:52:01 PM »
marc,
thank you for the input.

have you thought about testing out the gefell m930/ m940's?

Hi Mr. Gefell (and all),

Gefells are great mics.   I have used many of them but not the 930/940's.  Perhaps, one of these days.  

Are you using them?  I'd love to hear about them or check out some samples.

Happy Recording,

Marc

mr.gefell

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2003, 03:03:25 PM »
Hi Marc,
i have only used the m990 tube mic which basically is the tube version m930/m940.the sound is very focused,detailed,fast,the mic also had a very focused mid range.From what i understand the m930 and the m990 have very subtle differences.

i used the m99X ( with the super card) tube mic,
there are some samples here
http://www.freakscene.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=3822

hopefully my next gefell pair will be tthe nickel based omnis m296.

didn't you used to run these?( nice tapes btw)

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 04:46:00 PM »
Hi Mr. Gefell (aka ??) and All,

I still have a pair of 296's and while I'm don't use them very often, I still haven't convinced myself the sell them.  

They sound great but we have a pair of B&K 4006's as well. FWIW, the 296's are quite similar in performance to the 4006's and considerably less expensive.

Happy Recording,

Marc

mr.gefell

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2003, 04:55:03 PM »
thanks

btw im muj.

what's the deal with dpa?
by that i mean do they only use stainless steel caps or nickel?or the usual mylar.curious what the 4011/4022 cap is made is.

their catalog doesn't provide much details. ???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.275 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com