Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New TS-2 Preamp ... now (in low gear) in its third trimester  (Read 48426 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New TS-2 Preamp ... now in its third trimester
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 01:55:02 PM »
give the guy a break jesus
there is lots of info you could find here by searching that someone else could tell you in 5 secs if asked

come on. when I first started on this site, I was told to stop asking so many questions and read. actually am glad that I learned how to search the site effectively.
fwiw i don't have a problem in telling someone to search
just mikes attitude toward it i think is a little harsh
i also agree with nick, searching here can be hard type in jb3 question and try narrowing it down if you don't have a good understanding of what you are looking for
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 02:44:26 PM »
You also have to have at least 5 characters, right?  Or is that another site with a crappy search function.... :scratcheshead:
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 05:51:33 PM »
This site has never impressed me with its search tools.  Rudimentary at best.  Eventually you decide that to get anything out of it demands a little time spent reading.  Take the search as far as you think you can take it but you still will end up locating threads and reading them to the end.  In the process you start to learn about the nature of the community and you can decide if time spent here is worthwhile.  Many of us do.

Who came first, Dave King or Zack Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline Justinasia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 09:43:39 PM »
"but to be honest I don't have time to read all 53 pages."

Yet you expect others to take the time to neatly summarize them for you?  Why?  Is your time more valuable than theirs?
Hi Mike
As I said, I did search. And I read through many of the pages. But seriously I don't have time to read all 53 pages. That's a lot of reading! And I didn't mean to make anyone else read all 53 pages but I thought that the maker of this preamp would surely know the specs himself, and would even profit from posting them all in one place since it could be handy for anyone interested in this amp, not only me. I also figured if he knew them (he should right, he's making them) then he could write them in a few seconds.

I've actually spent many hours every day for about the past week reading though this forum. The search function is a little tricky but anyway I have really appreciated being able to read stuff here, and grateful to all you guys writing and discussing. This is a really valuable resource, and seems like a very friendly community. Sorry if my questions were disturbing.

Justin

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 10:34:31 PM »
Only price I can point to (there may be one somewhere in these three trimesters) is the thread in 5fishes forum where he mentions an introductory run of 8 units with an introductory price of $499. No indication if that will be raised for the second run - if there is one.

So I'm starting "production" of the TS-2 Mic Preamp units. Everything will be handbuilt here in "the FiveFish Studios Lab."

Initial run will be 8 units. Sell the 1st (8) and then use the money to fund the next batch of units.

These are (2) channel mic preamps, with DC servo, and internal buffering. Using THAT chips, Burr Brown chips. Output using balanced line driver from THAT. Includes (2) channel VU meter. Polarity switches on both channels, individual 48V phantom power switches, and an ON/OFF switch for the VU meters (to be discrete during taping :). XLR Ins and outputs. Powered by 12VDC from AC wall adapter or portable DVD batteries.

Intro Price: $499
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:38:39 PM by flipp »

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2009, 01:40:25 PM »
Justin -

Well said.  I understand your position.  My comments only came out of a concern I see from other boards (try XDA Developers some time) where people drown out good information by constantly posting the same questions over and over, or making demands that others summarize information for them.  People who post like that trample on the notion of a community, and can quickly make those who do provide content and value decide it's not worth their time.  Then the gurus stop posting and no one gets the information.

I am incredibly grateful for the amount of time people put into sharing their knowledge - this board is an amazing resource for me and gives me access to information I simply could not get any other way.  No where, no how.  In the spirit of community, I feel that it's a two way commitment - intelligent, informed people post good information and then the burden is on me to find it and make use of it. 

If it's really worth it to you, then I think you should be willing to do the work to get it - even if it means reading 53 pages.  If you don't have time to read them all, I guess that clarifies the value the information has for you.  Me?  I'm just grateful people have taken so much time out of their busy days to provide 53 pages of information for me to read.  I wouldn't think of asking them to take more of their time to do something I could do myself.  That would seem to indicate I feel my time is more valuable than theirs.  I'd rather they continue to spend their time providing more and more information. 

If you do have questions for the manufacturer, or have a good idea that his interests may be served by summarizing, that's an excellent time to use the "Private Message" or PM function within this website.

I apologize if I came off harshly, but I've seen too many open communities like this one marginalized or destroyed when non-community-minded people come in and act selfishly or unthinkingly, and it's a bit of a hot button for me.  I think etiquette and consideration are incredibly important to preserve fragile communities like this one, so feel compelled to comment  Enough of my rant, and I apologize to everyone for taking up their bandwith - I know this is not why you're here.

<steps off soapbox, somewhat sheepishly>

Mike

Mike
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline Ben Turnbull

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »
^ well said, and I didn't cause I just don't have the tongue for it.

BTW, 53 pages is nothing.  Search on "pissing in the shower" and see how many informative, thoughtful and content rich pages that kicks off.  ;D
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline Justinasia

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2009, 09:11:18 PM »
Just to make it clear, I was not asking anyone to summarize anything except for the maker of the product, whom I thought would potentially profit from putting a summary which was easy to find, for me and anyone else who might come across the thread, spend hours but still be unable to find the specs. (I even searched his website to no avail). Hence I started my post "Hi fivefishdiy [...]"
But I take your advice that I should have written him a PM. Bad judgement on my behalf. Sorry about that.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2009, 11:03:32 PM »
...so how many people have one of these now?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Is a 4 channel slut and
  • Trade Count: (122)
  • Taperus Maximus
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2009, 11:21:47 PM »
LOVE IT!
Schoeps MK4's | MK41's ->
Schoeps | NBob 250/05 KCY's ->
Schoeps VMS 02IB | Naiant +60v/Low Noise PFA's ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby | GakCable XLR's ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Tascam DR-70D ->
128gb | 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC-I

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean | http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420 | http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 12:29:26 AM »
(You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building...)

+T for the Zork reference.  8)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Saint Paul, MN
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 05:26:25 AM »
...so how many people have one of these now?

digifish

^ patience, grasshopper    ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCyJRXvPNRo

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Ben Turnbull

Re: New TS-2 Preamp ... now (stuck) in its third trimester
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 10:18:34 AM »
<snip>
But I take your advice that I should have written him a PM. Bad judgement on my behalf. Sorry about that.

Not bad judgment, just ignorance, in the classic sense, not stupidity... you didn't know.  Since the ticketing system is now history, we've all become more overt in our expression of pleasure or displeasure with a member's commentary.  Some of us are getting used to it and it's being taken as piling on the new guy... perhaps there is an element of initiation there but it's all in good fun. 

I too found that the FF site was a little short on specs. Posting that sound clip intended to illustrate the noise floor, with no info on gain setting or mic used is not much help to me.  I cranked that clip up and there was plenty of noise.  Maybe FF will see this and offer a few specs for evaluation. 

Don't get me wrong, I think this will be a fine box and intend to get one.  As soon as he's ready to market it I expect more information to be made available.  Should be out in time for Phish ;D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:35:18 AM by O-Canis »

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2009, 06:57:25 PM »
Some progress....

Sorry for being a little bit slow.

My time is split between producing the TS-2 preamp and my API 500 lunchbox compatible preamp.... the SC-1mk500.  It's getting very good reviews and compared to boutique preamps costing 2x-3x it's price.

FYI... the same circuit design mods I tried during the development of the TS-2 preamp got incorporated on my SC-1mk500 preamp.... which sells for $349 each (1) channel. It sounded good on the TS-2, so I "borrowed" it in the development of the SC-1mk500 :) Photo below.

It won't be long now... I'd have the TS-2 ready. I have a few units ready to go out the door, but want to finish everything first. I also need to take more photos for advertising purposes and create the Paypal order page for it.   ;D ;D ;D

SC-1 Mic Preamp Kits... www.fivefishstudios.com
Photo Rig: Canon EOS30D, 70-200 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 50mmf1.8, 10-22mm Wide angle, Sigma 200mm Macro, Harddisk CF card reader/backup
Video: Sony HDV HDR-HC5

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (41)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2009, 07:06:24 PM »
Looking good!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: (2) Microtech Gefell M300, (2) AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, (2) CAD GXL1200 (cardioid and sub-cardioid capsule & electronics mod), (2) Audix M1290-o, (2) Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, (2) Naiant MSH-1O, (2) Naiant AKG Active cables, (2) Church CA-11 (cardioid), (2) CAD C9, (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod), Denon DTR-80p

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.231 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com