Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Vegas 8 - Event Pan/Crop accessible in Project Media window?  (Read 8955 times)

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Vegas 8 - Event Pan/Crop accessible in Project Media window?
« on: January 21, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »
I'm kind of stuck here.  I filmed from 3 angles for an event Saturday.  I had to color correct one angle and did this by applying the FX to the track in the Project Media window so it will stay there when I create a multicamera track.  I also need to zoom in and tilt that track a bit to appear straight.  I can easily do this in Even Pan/Crop but I don't see any way to access it in the Project Media window.  The only other option would be to change the Pan/Crop on every clip after I make angle switches.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Vegas 8 - Event Pan/Crop accessible in Project Media window?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 05:58:19 PM »
The only other option would be to change the Pan/Crop on every clip after I make angle switches.

that's the only way I know how.  pain in the ass.  I have a show I'm working on where one cam is 4:3 letterbox and the other was normal 4:3.  I made a preset to make it faster but the only way I've been able to crop the letterbox angle is on every clip.  if you figure it out please post and let me know.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:55:59 PM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the situation....but it sounds like you're chopping up the three angles and putting them all on one line?

If that's what you're doing, the way around it is to leave the clips intact in their own individual lines in the time line, and use composite envelopes to create fades in/out.

I'm not sure if this addresses your problem or not.

Another possibility ~ render that one track that requires color correction and pan/cropping as a new .avi file, and then replace the existing file with the newly-rendered .avi file.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »
Vegas 8 has a multi cam feature where you sync your tracks and then create a multi cam track.  It automatically sizes your angles to show in the preview window and allows you to go through and click on the angle you want.  It makes the switches automatically for you instead of the old fashioned way of having to resize manually, drop in markers, cut at that point, and then paste to a new track.

I posted at dvinfo.net and got a quick response with a very easy way to do it.  Gordon, this will apply to what you're doing also and save you a ton of time.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/999641-post2.html

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 10:17:54 PM »

I posted at dvinfo.net and got a quick response with a very easy way to do it.  Gordon, this will apply to what you're doing also and save you a ton of time.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/999641-post2.html

:coolguy: :cheers:

thanks so much!
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »
never mind.  got it!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:19:03 PM by Gordon »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 11:19:50 PM »
Yeah, copy > paste attributes. BTW, this is really helpful when bringing photos onto a Vegas timeline. Just crop one photo to the correct aspect ratio, then copy > paste event attributes to the rest of the photos, and you're off and running...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 11:30:59 PM »
Yeah, copy > paste attributes. BTW, this is really helpful when bringing photos onto a Vegas timeline. Just crop one photo to the correct aspect ratio, then copy > paste event attributes to the rest of the photos, and you're off and running...

Don't forget if you're inserting photos into an interlaced project to use the Reduce Interlace Flicker switch in the event properties.

Offline junkyardt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 11:50:07 PM »
i'm pretty new to vegas and i think i'm getting the hang of it, but i've got a problem here with aspect ratio. i shot some minidv video in 16:9, but when it was transferred (using a standalone dvd burner, not by me) somehow the resulting dvd is in 4:3, so the video looks all stretched/squished to fit fullscreen. when i play it back in vlc media player, i can fix this real easy by just changing the playback aspect ratio to 16:9 and it looks right again. but i'd like to just fix this on the actual video so there's no need to adjust playback settings, by stretching/squishing the video back to 16:9. i can't seem to find exactly how to do that in vegas. i've played around in the event pan/crop feature and all that seems to do is literally just crop part of the video off, but it doesn't fix the aspect ratio. so the video still looks squished, but now the top and bottom are missing as well, which only worsens the problem. how do i actually stretch it back to 16:9 so that nothing is chopped off and the ratio looks right again?

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 08:38:33 AM »
i'm pretty new to vegas and i think i'm getting the hang of it, but i've got a problem here with aspect ratio. i shot some minidv video in 16:9, but when it was transferred (using a standalone dvd burner, not by me) somehow the resulting dvd is in 4:3, so the video looks all stretched/squished to fit fullscreen. when i play it back in vlc media player, i can fix this real easy by just changing the playback aspect ratio to 16:9 and it looks right again. but i'd like to just fix this on the actual video so there's no need to adjust playback settings, by stretching/squishing the video back to 16:9. i can't seem to find exactly how to do that in vegas. i've played around in the event pan/crop feature and all that seems to do is literally just crop part of the video off, but it doesn't fix the aspect ratio. so the video still looks squished, but now the top and bottom are missing as well, which only worsens the problem. how do i actually stretch it back to 16:9 so that nothing is chopped off and the ratio looks right again?

Did you capture the video in Vegas, or are you still working with the video recorded onto the DVD?

Whatever the case - you want to capture the raw video from the tape in Vegas and work with that.

To answer your question:  file > properties > video > NTSC (or PAL) DV Widescreen
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 10:10:13 AM »
If you can you need to recapture the video into DV-AVI.  You can use Vegas for that or any other program that captures video.  That format is a raw transfer of digital information from the tape. 

It actually doesn't matter what aspect ratio you choose while capturing.  That is determined during the final video processing.

Import your video into Vegas and choose your project properties.  For normal interlaced 16:9 you'll choose NTSC or PAL DV Wides creen bottom filed first.  Now while you're editing you'll see what the final video should look like while you're editing.  When you output the video you need to choose the same properties as your template.  If you use a separate MPEG-2 encoder you need to make sure you choose wide screen when encoding with it.

You can still work with the DVD video you have now.  You're just going to lose a bit of quality because you're going to have to re-encode the video to get it to the correct ratio.  You don't need to crop anything.  Just import the DVD video, do your edits, and save with the appropriate wide screen template.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 12:01:46 PM »
If you can you need to recapture the video into DV-AVI.  You can use Vegas for that or any other program that captures video.  That format is a raw transfer of digital information from the tape. 

It actually doesn't matter what aspect ratio you choose while capturing.  That is determined during the final video processing.

Import your video into Vegas and choose your project properties.  For normal interlaced 16:9 you'll choose NTSC or PAL DV Wides creen bottom filed first.  Now while you're editing you'll see what the final video should look like while you're editing.  When you output the video you need to choose the same properties as your template.  If you use a separate MPEG-2 encoder you need to make sure you choose wide screen when encoding with it.

You can still work with the DVD video you have now.  You're just going to lose a bit of quality because you're going to have to re-encode the video to get it to the correct ratio.  You don't need to crop anything.  Just import the DVD video, do your edits, and save with the appropriate wide screen template.

thanks for the help, both of you.

you say to choose the project properties at the beginning. what if i've already done the whole project--isolating the various video chunks i need, time stretching the external audio source and sync'ing them) but i left the project properties as default when i started (4:3). do i need to redo the whole project from scratch now? or will it be enough to just save it as widescreen when i export?

i understand the proper way to do it is to transfer the video direct to PC and use vegas or another program to capture it, at roughly 13 GB per hour. that's not really an option for me though because

A) i borrowed the camcorder from a friend and no longer have it with me, and he was nice enough to let me borrow it and to transfer it for me the way he transfers his videos, via standalone dvd burner, and

B) even if i still had it, my computer doesn't have a firewire jack and i don't have 70 gigs of free space to work with anyway or whatever it would take to do it properly. so for the time being, until i can invest in a minidv camcorder and a new PC, using the already transferred dvds are my only option.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 12:28:06 PM »
In the projegt media right click on that 4:3 file and go to properties and change the pixel aspect ratio to 1.2121

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 12:37:44 PM »
In the projegt media right click on that 4:3 file and go to properties and change the pixel aspect ratio to 1.2121

thanks, to you and to stantheman for pointing me in the right direction toward project properties. i was just about to post i had figured it out. that's great, that does exactly what i needed.

one more thing...i can tell this will introduce some quality loss doing it this way (first there was probably quality lost when transferring it via standalone burner, and then there's probably more lost when changing the aspect ratio in vegas), but say i were to transfer the whole thing the proper way, raw at 13 GB per hour via PC...the resulting video would be so huge, that to get it down to a watchable size (say a 4 GB DVD) i'd still have to bring the quality way down on the raw transfer anyway (to get it from 25 GB or whatever down to 4). so the quality would be great if you sat on your PC and watched the full 25 GB file, yeah, but who does that? so my question i guess is, wouldn't the quality loss doing it that way be roughly equal to the quality loss doing it the way i'm doing it now? or would it still produce a much better result the other way?

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 12:51:15 PM »
The way you're doing it now would result in two lots of quality loss - the downconversion from tape to DVD in the first place and then, if you change the aspect ratio in Vegas, you're going to have to then re-encode the output back to DVD again. Taking an already highly compressed file and compressing it again, even to the same size, always results in loss because you have to recompress the blocking and encoding artifacts from the previous encode. So what you're doing - the Mini-DV encoding results in some encoding artifacts in the image, when the tape is passed to the standalone DVD recorder it sees these artifacts as though it was detail in the frame, and so it needs to compress these too, not just the actual picture content. This compression results in even more encoding artifacts, especially because the DVD bitrate will be so much less than the mini-DV. When you stretch it and encode it out again from Vegas, Vegas will see the original Mini-DV artifacts, the standalone DVD recorder artifacts, and have to compress all of this in addition to the actual content. This results in even more artifacts and blocking, which you then see. Even if you don't think you can see any artifacts at the mini-DV or standalone DVD level, they are certainly there, and the computer can see them (as added 1s and 0s). I hope you get what I'm saying, it's a little hard to explain.

That said, if all you want to do is fix the aspect ratio you don't need to re-encode the DVD at all (or use Vegas). Aspect Ratios on all DVDs are all handled by putting commands in the header of the MPEG-2 file on the DVD that tells the player to stretch the footage to either 4:3 or 16:9 on playback. The standalone has set this header to play back at 4:3, but there are simple programs that will take the DVD, just change the little bit of info in the header, then when you burn it it will play back correctly.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »
The way you're doing it now would result in two lots of quality loss - the downconversion from tape to DVD in the first place and then, if you change the aspect ratio in Vegas, you're going to have to then re-encode the output back to DVD again. Taking an already highly compressed file and compressing it again, even to the same size, always results in loss because you have to recompress the blocking and encoding artifacts from the previous encode. So what you're doing - the Mini-DV encoding results in some encoding artifacts in the image, when the tape is passed to the standalone DVD recorder it sees these artifacts as though it was detail in the frame, and so it needs to compress these too, not just the actual picture content. This compression results in even more encoding artifacts, especially because the DVD bitrate will be so much less than the mini-DV. When you stretch it and encode it out again from Vegas, Vegas will see the original Mini-DV artifacts, the standalone DVD recorder artifacts, and have to compress all of this in addition to the actual content. This results in even more artifacts and blocking, which you then see. Even if you don't think you can see any artifacts at the mini-DV or standalone DVD level, they are certainly there, and the computer can see them (as added 1s and 0s). I hope you get what I'm saying, it's a little hard to explain.

That said, if all you want to do is fix the aspect ratio you don't need to re-encode the DVD at all (or use Vegas). Aspect Ratios on all DVDs are all handled by putting commands in the header of the MPEG-2 file on the DVD that tells the player to stretch the footage to either 4:3 or 16:9 on playback. The standalone has set this header to play back at 4:3, but there are simple programs that will take the DVD, just change the little bit of info in the header, then when you burn it it will play back correctly.

thanks, that second option you described sounds like something i want to try if it would eliminate a second layer of quality loss. what is one of those simple programs you refer to? could i render the project i've created in vegas as MPEG-2, in 4:3 without reencoding, and then just change the header directly on this MPEG file?

also...maybe someone can help me with one more thing. sorry, i can hold my own with audio but i'm a bit of a noob with video. in vegas, how do you fill gaps of missing video, with a picture, for instance, so you don't have to just look at a black screen. like, when you change minidv tapes but you're recording an external audio source, when you mix the 2 you'll have a small section there with audio but no video. i don't even have to do anything fancy like looping video clips in that gap or anything, just a still picture would suffice.

EDIT: to answer my own question (1st paragraph), it looks like DVDPatcher would do the trick? does anyone else use this?

still can't figure out how to do what i want in vegas though, if anyone can help.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:51:02 PM by junkyardt »

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »
You can fill gaps however you see fit.  Using a photo is a decent idea or you can be clever and put something humorous there.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 02:11:40 PM »
You can fill gaps however you see fit.  Using a photo is a decent idea or you can be clever and put something humorous there.

ha, i know that, i mean how do i do it? what feature in vegas do i use? maybe it's something so simple and obvious i'm overlooking it.

EDIT: nevermind, figured it out. huge thanks for all your help everyone.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:34:17 PM by junkyardt »

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 03:32:12 AM »

thanks, that second option you described sounds like something i want to try if it would eliminate a second layer of quality loss. what is one of those simple programs you refer to? could i render the project i've created in vegas as MPEG-2, in 4:3 without reencoding, and then just change the header directly on this MPEG file?

EDIT: to answer my own question (1st paragraph), it looks like DVDPatcher would do the trick? does anyone else use this?
Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but it appears that the question regarding the aspect ratio hasn't been properly answered.
Yes, DVDPatcher will fix the 4:3/16:9 issue but I've never used the application before.
I have used IFOEdit though. Here is a link that describes how to properly set the Aspect Ratio flag on an authored DVD.
http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=59409

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com