Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony ECM 999  (Read 11066 times)

Offline carpa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sony ECM 999
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »
Hello to everybody.
I have the possibility to buy a used (not so much used, it seems) Sony ecm999 stereo mic.
It is a mid-side technique with changeable angle from 0° (mono) to 150°. The m-s- matrix is inside the mic, and it is powerd via 1.5 v battery.
Here are the specs I found   http://www.bsu.edu/met/gobbledygook/cr/sony/sony_999_specs.html

Does anybody know this mic?  Mostly I would like to understand which compatibility will it have with Edirol R09HR, in terms of impedance, sensitivity etc.  I used to have a Sony ecm979, which I think was about the same thing, but I can't try it with my edirol because it's no more working.
A comparison with some "famous" strereos like rode nt4 would be nuce, but I know it isn't possible.
thank you

c

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony ECM 999
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:46:30 PM »
I didn't realize Sennheiser was the parent company of Sony mics until looking at that site.

I have an acquaintance I very infrequently see out taping locally who has a 999. Makes pretty good recordings with it too. I know of a couple of David Nelson Band shows he captured with it and one Mule show he got shortly after Allen's passing with Dave Schools and Danny Louis in the band. Sounds great considering they were playing in what is basically a metal trade-show building.

He used it going into a D8. I have no idea if you would have problems going into a R09HR. If you can get it for a decent price, I say go for it.

< edit for spelling >
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:50:47 PM by flipp »

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 05:29:24 PM »
The price of it (used) is about 2/3 of a new Rode nt4; that means 220 euros vs. 300 for the Rode. So not a big big bargain. Will have to think what will be the difference from a X-Y to a M-s in this price range.
thanks
c

Roving Sign

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:53:37 PM »
Its a nice sounding mic - a little bright in the mids - but that can be a good thing...not as much bass as more modern stereo mics...

Here's a recent matrix with the ECM999 - (this is with the mic in the back of the room...)

http://www.archive.org/details/bbp2009-02-06

And another on-stage matrix

http://www.archive.org/details/hexbelt2007-11-02
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 05:55:53 PM by Roving Sign »

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 04:45:39 AM »
Thank you for the links.
I think the second one is better than the first (more clear),probably the mic was closer. I have listened to some recordins made with Rode nt4, and in general they have a more solid bass and an overall warmer sound; I have the impression that the sony is a little more "airy", but it may be related to placement and m-s technique vs. x-y.
But, as I said, it is just an impression as groups, placement, venues are different.
I also listened to something made with Church audio ca-14 and the result is good, maybe the best in terms of sound balance beetween bass and treble. Maybe a heard a sort of not-so- natural sound in the mids.

I guess (but, again, it's impressions) maybe the Rode would be better than Sony for recording solo piano, but I don't exclude the Church ca-14 would do a good job if differently placed from what I heard.
c

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:13:13 AM »
it is powerd via 1.5 v battery.

I first got the impression this is a legacy mic, but it's still marketed in Japan, at a pretty hefty price tag (47,000 yen).
There's a service manual online, but you have to pay to download it:
http://nodevice.com/manual/sonymans/manual2230pdf/get3750.html

I don't know if it's an inherent shortcoming with 1.5V powering that causes the lighter mid/bass response. I'm just guessing, but maybe it would benefit from upping the voltage to 9-10V, like I'd do with my Nak CM100 bodies...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Roving Sign

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »
it is powerd via 1.5 v battery.

I first got the impression this is a legacy mic, but it's still marketed in Japan, at a pretty hefty price tag (47,000 yen).
There's a service manual online, but you have to pay to download it:
http://nodevice.com/manual/sonymans/manual2230pdf/get3750.html

I don't know if it's an inherent shortcoming with 1.5V powering that causes the lighter mid/bass response. I'm just guessing, but maybe it would benefit from upping the voltage to 9-10V, like I'd do with my Nak CM100 bodies...

I've toyed with the idea of bypassing the internal M/S processor to get at the raw M/S singals...the built in circuit was good in the day, but since we all have DAWs, not as useful...

I also have a ECM979 - which looks identical to the 999, not sure of the difference...the switch is grey instead of black...maybe the 979
came set up for unbalanced operation?

I tried to take one of these apart but gave up - maybe I'll give it another shot...I'd like to see the exact capsule placement...(and if its a replaceable part.)

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »
Well, I also have an ECM 979, which doensn't work. At Sony assistance (after six month waiting) I was told that the broken parts cannot be substituted because the product is discontinued, so somebody else is tryingg to repair it and in the next days I'll know wether there's a chance to wake it up or it's definitely gone....

I think that the 999 simply is the newest version of 979, as I can't tell the difference between the two.
Also in the 979 I noticed a not-super bass response; besides this I appreciated the m-s possibility to change the angle, which has turned to be useful being in the need of an easy setup and having to deal with different acustical environments.
Apart from this I think (from the samples I've heard in internet) that the overall quality of the Rode nt4 is probably better.
Wanting to stay on m-s the Shure vp88 sounds better to me, but it really costs a lot of money, so at that point I'd buy something different

I don't think this mic can be fed with a different voltage than the 1.5 v battery.
c

Offline flipp022

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 07:23:08 PM »
the sony ECM 979, works with 9,2 volts,  there  is inside the mic an convetor 1,5 to 9,2 volts

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 05:30:39 AM »
Hello flipp022,

I am interested with the possibility to power this microphone with 9.2 volts. Do you have a source that shows this convertor?

I recently bought a used Sony ECM-MS957, also powered by a AA battery and I was wondering if this one could be powered by a Naiant PIPsqueak (at 5 or 6 V ?) or, better, with P48V, as the output is balanced on a XLR5... Maybe there are some similarities between those two mics? And with the ECM-MS957 Pro I saw you own:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=102648.0

Any info about modding this mic is welcome! PIP powering, P48V powering or how to get the same output level than the Sony ECM-MS957 Pro (-42 to -37 dB according to Sony specs).

Sorry if this looks a little confused... I'm not an audio tech! I mean: now I know!

Offline flipp022

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 06:54:01 AM »
Sony ECM-MS957 works only on 1,5 volts ,and  the SONY ECM 957 PRO has inside  convertor to 6.3 volts

Offline flipp022

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »
here  SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM ecm-999.pdf , maybe is your conveter broke , and get your mic now no more 9.2 volts ,

take the top cap off the mic, seen the fet on the drain must stand 9.2 volts , then is he ok , the left side of fet is the drain .

but I cannot post here the PDF file  ecm-999.pdf is to big file1.72 MB for here , then a print screen shot

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 06:59:58 PM »
Thanks flipp022, you made it clear to me.

So I leave my 957 as is and I keep an eye on any used 957PRO or just a 957PRO amp board that should fit in my 957...  ;)

Offline flipp022

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 03:59:16 PM »
not it amp-board of sony ecm 957 pro , in the sony ecm-ms 957 , but the capsules of the sony ecm 957 pro , in the sony ecm-ms 957 mic and you get this sound , listen here , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1I4soP-48M
only he is rebuild , the capsules is on headband , further, there is nothing changes , and works on 1,5 volt it beste , I has use 9 volt , but was not better ,
here Chris Bergson Band live at the club the Q bus city Leiden holland 2014 06 10,  with the same mic,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXPkffWAdQk , it works on 1,5 volts , but the sound of both is edit ,
is recorded on large distance ,I sits with back to rear wall of the concert room , why I sits there is for the camera , I sits there higher and look  on this way over the people , but I get on this large distance good sound , only with this mic , the corpse or I for the podium stands , and that is not so , it is on large distance recorded .

I hope that it help you sir
Ane
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:52:05 PM by flipp022 »

Offline flipp022

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
every concert  room is different, the sound , and has other PA , I listen to  the clapping of the people as I build mic , how better is the clapping sound how better is the mic , and then in each concert room . the sound of clapping is Always the same , it have nothing to do with PA , only maybe with concert room ,
but on this way, can I better hear in my home what is the beste mic
I buy a never used sony ecm 979 ,  for how much now 50 euro, this is my first recording with it , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE4pwAw_e-4

I will use it more time , as I taped a show use Always  3 audio recorders , for test new mics , the beste edit I and put unter the video.

cheers Ane

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:48:54 PM by flipp022 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com