Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: the Marenius thread: MM-4220, SMF-5 mkIII etc (was "smallest 4ch/2tr")  (Read 35149 times)

Offline marenius

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Smallest 4ch/2tr mixer/recorder?! Marenius MM-4220
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2009, 08:12:49 AM »
Finally!
The new SMF-5 mkIII is born and I think it will meet all requirements I´ve seen here so far.
Noise floor is maintained at the ultra-low level we managed to get in the mkII version.
Power supply is external 10 - 35 V DC, any polarity.
Phantom power is 48V and up to 20 mA can be delivered in total.
We have added a headphones output that will double as unbalanced output.
There is also a link switch for easier stereo gain control of both mic amp´s.
The mkIII model will be about the same cost as the mkII.
SMF-5 mkII will be obsolete from now.
In a few days the new datasheet will be available from our web site http://www.marenius.se.

/Leif

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »
Thanks for the update! 

Nice to hear that the headphone can double as an unbalanced output. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
The preamp and recorder look great! We have to convince some
audio retailer to stock Marenius products in North America!
Markertek seems to be asleep at the wheel regarding Marenius.

Flintstone

Offline marenius

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2009, 05:08:01 AM »
The MM-4220 now also offers time code sync.
We have changed file format to BWF, a pro subset of WAV. In the BWF header the time code data for the first sample is written.
This will show up in editors like Adobe Audition and alike.
The internal clock has been replaced by a highly accurate clock that will cause less than one frame error after 5 hours.
Jam sync can be done to any LTC time code signal. Only 25 fps is supported.
We have also improved the dynamic range a little bit further with even lower noise floor.

Leif Marenius

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2009, 09:43:35 AM »
Good to hear, Leif!

Any breakthough regarding US distribution yet?

I was wondering whether it would pay off for a small overseas brand like Marenius to participate at trade fairs like NAMM and similar. Any plans for that?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline marenius

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2009, 09:58:12 AM »
Sorry, but we have no present plans for a US distribution.
The insurance cost is a great problem.
However, if we would get a distributor that will start at a fairly good volume it can be justified.
I would suggest purchase of single units by web order and paying through PayPal.

/Leif

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2009, 05:39:57 PM »
Just thought this deserves bumping to point out that this unit looks the bomb for a 2ch pre. I'm not personally in the market for such a unit at the moment, but I find it amazing that Leif Marenius has tailored this latest version pretty much in direct respoonse to this thread, in astounding record time! Albeit from Sweden, this unit is available now!

Seems like a dream come true for those who've been waiting around for FiveFish or Aerco...

Peace,
Sanaka

Datasheet

You know your bag wants one....

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »
it says it has RCA outputs?  I don't see them on the datasheet image.  Are they XLR/RCA combo jacks?  I didn't know they made those...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 07:16:17 PM »
This appears to be a 2-ch/2-tr mixer, no?
2 mics in > 2 lines out?
I had a 4-mic in > 2-ch out pre-amp built for me by Chris Church ago; but that is the only one of its' kind I had seen at the time.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline marenius

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2009, 03:20:21 AM »
Javier, you are right. There are no longer RCA outputs. The headphones socket doubles as line output as well as phones output.

SMF-5 is NOT a mixer, you can´t blend the two inputs. It´s a two-channel mic pre-amp.
For a 4-ch mic inputs to 2-ch line outputs please see the MM-4220 4-ch mixer.

Leif Marenius

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2009, 03:26:40 AM »
^^^^Sorry, I was using the term "mixer" loosely.
The pre-amp Chris built for me has four potentiometers, so I could essentially mix the inputs on the fly, as it was being recorded - that's kind of what I was referring to, I guess.
It actually isn't far off from the MM-4220 4-ch unit you referred me to - that's a sweet looking unit, indeed; I will have to look at that a bit more closely, now!!
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2009, 03:46:28 AM »
Mr. Marenius:

You may wish to post an informational thread about the SMF-5mkIII in the "Retail Space" forum here at TS. It doesn't seem that this preamp is well known here at TS, and as I posted above, the fact that you actually implemented design elements based on feedback here at TS is very special.

There is at least one preamp that was supposed to be sort of "taper community designed" that has now been "in development" for so long that it seems like it will never happen. I would think that people who have been waiting for it might be very happy about the SMF-5mkIII.

Just a thought.

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
Re: the Marenius thread: MM-4220, SMF-5 mkIII etc (was "smallest 4ch/2tr")
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »
Just connected up the SMF-5 I have had around the house for a while. Got it from the local ebay (called tradera around here) for a decent price.

My unit is the older version, before the mk markings. It runs from either a transformer or 2 times 9V batteries. Both RCA and XLR output, no headphones though. It will spend time mostly for scratch recordings in my little home studio, nothing you will want to hear. ( On location I have paired down a full car of stuff to a 722 + a Schoeps MSTC64. At least for a while, time is better spent on other things, like playing the bassoon ) .

Nice sound, still need to take it out for a real spin though. Well built, quality components including Lundahl transformers in a sturdy case.

Anyone around Stockholm interested in a test run? Send me a PM and I am sure we can make something happen.

// Gunnar

Offline praxel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
I do not agree that the Marenius MM-4220 is a professional mixer/recorder.

Although the idea about the functionality and size of this unit is exellent, it has some serious flaws which has kept me busy trying to compensate for those at every recording.

The analog inputs do not meet professional demands.

1: They are very sensitive to overloading. If you have to adjust the input volume to 11 o´clock, you are likely to overload the input with following distrotion as result. You have to use an external pad to attenuate  the signal.

2: The phantom power is so low, that I have to use an external mic preamp. Only 5 mA for all four inputs. A schoeps CMC5 demands 4.5 mA alone.

3: The mic preamp has different frequency response, depending on if you run it in line position, or with 24 or 48dB amplification.

4: The inputs seems to work best with microphones with IC amplification. Discrete circuits or transformers around 200 Ohms sounds different.

All in all, the constructor of this mixer have left the old professional standards for some reason, which can cause a great deal of trouble if you want to integrate it in a professional studio environment.

I have been using this unit since 2009, and I am now looking for something else.

Peter

Offline praxel

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2011, 02:33:11 AM »
Yesterday I used the MM-4220 on a rehearsal with acousical instrument, sax, piano, double bass and drums. I used a pair of Sennheiser 212, dynamic mikes. Using the 48 dB amplification position, the inputs are clipping constantly, and the sax is distorted. Using the 24 dB position, the background noise becomes disturbing.

On a previous choire recording, I have managed to have the input work well with an external mic preamp from Line Audio , with a 40dB attenuation between the preamp and the mixer !!!!!!

It is as if the amplification levels are just taken out of the sleeve, rather than based on how most professional microphones works.

The inputs of this unit need reconstruction, not putting the head in the sand. I also hope that these problems will be solved in the unit Marenius is developing with Eric Spitzer Marlyn.

Peter

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com