Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mini Me jumpers  (Read 4379 times)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Mini Me jumpers
« on: November 04, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »
Hey!

Did any one here save Louie's pictures of the mini me jumper settings?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141656.msg1829025#msg1829025

I know there are some in the manual, but I just wondered if there were better ones.

Thanks!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Re: Mini Me jumpers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
I just changed my jumpers to low gain.  There are a total of 8, in pairs of four.  If the jumpers are closest to the front of the unit, it's high gain.  Move them towards the rear (so that the pin exposed are the ones closest to the front) and you've got low gain.  I looked for Louie's pix too.  If you look in the manual, you'll see where they are grouped.  Just make sure you ground your body to avoid a static spark discharge.  I have a wristlet that I use.

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »
^^^ This. When I had the mini me I had to do the same. Took all of five minutes. I used a pair of tweezers, just pull them straight up
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »
Thanks!
I will take some pictures and add to this over the weekend so if someone dumb like me asks this question again....

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 09:59:41 AM »
Slightly OT, but I ran the MME for the first time since getting it a few days ago.  I wouldn't use it with my Schoeps, but it killed it on a theater recording I made with some permanently installed Avantone CK-1s.  Fantastically synchronistic combination.  I need to do some tweaking of the mic placement (and I have very limited options due to architecture) but overall I'm really happy.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
I noticed a very "colored" sound when comparing it to the Mini MP.
The Mini MP & schoeps MK5 is a fantastically detailed match. I compared the difference between running it straight out of the Mini MP into recorder and running into an OCM recorder, just to see if I could cut or add gear, and the noise floor and detail are much clearer running into the Modded OCM after the preamp.

What I'm trying to see is if I could in any way duplicate this or get a similar sound with just the MiniMe > SPDIF out. It certainly can't be done with schoeps, in my tests, anyway, but I will try a few other mics before I give up!

Offline thunderbolt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 06:45:24 PM »
Apogee has stated in the past that the pres in the MME and MP are identical.  The MME A/D is considered by many to be quite excellent, at least for its time.  Unfortunately, comps are impossible since the MME has no analog out (except for headphone).

We buy combinations of mics and pres and A/Ds because they all color the sound in different ways and we hope to find that "synergy."

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »
Apogee has stated in the past that the pres in the MME and MP are identical.  The MME A/D is considered by many to be quite excellent, at least for its time.  Unfortunately, comps are impossible since the MME has no analog out (except for headphone).

We buy combinations of mics and pres and A/Ds because they all color the sound in different ways and we hope to find that "synergy."

The Mini MP has a very different PreAmp design then what was put into the MiniME.  I have only heard this to be the case from Apogee - I have never heard Apogee claim they where the same.

The Mini MP uses a unique design of using high speed relays for input isolation versus traditional transformers or capacitors.   I do not know the design beyond this but I do know the sound is quite different then the Mini ME.

I ran the Mini ME for some time and the Pre's are ok but not the greatest - I definitely prefered running a Pre infront of it (be it a Lunatec, PSP-2, or Schoeps) and they definitely where not as good as the AD-1000 pre's IMO - The MiniME was a step forward in some aspects to the AD-1000 and a step back in others.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 05:19:26 PM »
Here are a few pictures of the jumpers moving from high to low gain.
They were moved easily with just my fingers.

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • recordings
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 02:49:54 PM »
BUMP!

Doing this tomorrow. Was trying to figure out WTF has been the issue running DPA 2012s in front digi into a Tascam as 24/96 and just being blown out. Now I know, unfortunately a tad late after taping goose/phish/spafford and being sad at the turnout.
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com