Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 preamp - Part 2  (Read 142014 times)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Re: Aerco MP-2 preamp - Part 2
« Reply #255 on: November 17, 2017, 07:44:55 PM »
With my old Aerco, a knob would come loose.  I could tighten it with a small/tiny flat-head screw driver that was on my Leatherman multi-tool. 
It would eventually come loose again.. and I'd tighten it again.
Loved that box!!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #256 on: November 17, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »
One of the knobs on my MP-2 fell off.  Has this happened to anyone before?  Do I just need to find the right screwdriver to tighten the little screws on the knob?  Is it even a screw?  An allen key doesn't fit.  Tiny torx maybe?

A torx is essentially a notched allen. If the one you have doesn't fit, either the set screw is worn or you need metric vs standard, or otherwise.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #257 on: February 17, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »
My MP2 has been doing some squirelly stuff. Last night the recording was really hissy and had a couple of big distorted jumps. Opened it up today to see if I could see any loose wires or anything obvious and the batteries are starting to swell up- one of them looks ready to pop. Has anyone found a source of replacement batteries? Might just send it back to Jerry for a checkup anyway.

Edit - The local batteries plus store said they could put something together then they said they couldn't. They found some 7.4V LiPo packs just like the one's that Jerry used but one 7.4V pack instead of two 3.7V packs. I ordered a couple to see if they work.

Also thinking using an external will solve some problems - never have used the DC input. I have a ton of 5V batteries and don't want to buy any other voltage just to run the MP2 - anyone ever use a voltage up converter - you can get cheap ones to convert 5V to 9 or 12 V.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:30:00 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2018, 10:17:43 AM »
Sorry to hear that the internal Lipo has swelled up. It’s nice not to drag along external batteries. The only issue I had running external was with a voltage ranging Tekkeon that refused to send 9-12v to the MP2 and I got a brick walled signal on the DR2d...ran great on my other Tekkeons that set voltage with dip switch’s.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #259 on: March 26, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »

So I talked via email with Jerry about my MP2. He said that a 1/16ths allen wrench is what's needed to tighten the screws on the knobs that came loose.

About the batteries - he said he doesn't have any on hand and that trial and error with buying some and seeing if they will fit is the way to go - he would have to do the same thing as me so it would be cheaper and easier to do it myself.

I already bought some that don't fit the case. It's a really tight fit and has to accommodate the little breakout board that the batteries attach to. I haven't been able to find an exact replacement for the batteries that were in it to begin with.

Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #260 on: April 08, 2018, 02:16:05 PM »

Update for anyone who might be taking their MP2 off the shelf soon and the internal batteries are a little long in the tooth.

Found some suitable replacements for pretty cheap at ThinkRC.com. - http://www.thinkrc.com/product_reviews_write.php?products_id=2810 - lower capacity but they fit in the case which was the biggest challenge.

The weird news is that even though the batteries charged right up after installing them I couldn't get the pre to function. A few emails back and forth with Jerry and he recommended that I put power to the DC input jack since it is wired outside of the on/off switch circuit. Sure enough it works that way so that means the switch has failed. I'm fairly handy but I'm not sure if I'm up to the task of installing a new switch - it's right next to a double stack circuit card and everything is glued in.

Want to get this up and running again to use with the MBHO subcards. I think it will be a perfect match.

I'll give a further update on the replacement battery performance once I get a chance to get the switch fixed. Maybe I'll start by shooting some contact cleaner in there a couple times and working the switch back and forth to see if it's just really dirty....

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2018, 02:19:34 PM »
^Thanks for the update!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #262 on: May 14, 2018, 12:15:47 PM »
I just ran mine over the weekend for the first time in a long while.  Still in luv.....   :cheers:

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2018, 08:30:13 AM »
Damn I miss my Aerco, wish I never loaned it out  :banging head:
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2018, 09:19:16 AM »

Still having some problems with my Aerco so it's going back to Jerry. Long story short - the internal batteries died a sudden death - one day it worked fine the next day weirdness - so I replaced them. Unit wouldn't power on so Jerry suggested that the switch had failed and told me the external power jack is not wired through the switch. Built a cable for a DVD battery and it powered right up and seemed fine in a home test. Took it out for a show last week and every kick drum hit was horribly distorted. It's going back for a once over and any necessary repairs.

Anyone else have any problems running the Aerco from a 9V wally battery through the external DC input?

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2018, 10:20:59 AM »
Anyone else have any problems running the Aerco from a 9V wally battery through the external DC input?

This is how I ran my old Aerco for a few years...  zero problems.
I used a Radio Shack Adapta-Plug to connect it to a 9v DVD battery.

Personally, I would run an external battery all the time.  Relying on internal rechargeable batteries would stress me out.

And man, I also miss my Aerco.....
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2018, 10:25:09 AM »
I'd scrap the internal rechargeable and go with 9v's!!  I always ran mine with an external as well it worked great.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2018, 11:00:24 AM »
The internal bat mod has been a blessing for me.  It made my rig smaller, bag much lighter, with no issues whatsoever.  I get the usual 9-10 hours, just like I did with alkalines.  :coolguy:

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »

I ran my first AERCO that way all the time
the second one I sent back a second time to Jerry to refit in a new box with internal rechargeables
after sending it in once to fix the circuit board... it took him 9 MONTHS!
by the time I got it back I was ready to sell it and move on to other boxes

good luck with this Roger

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »
One of the selling points for me is the internal rechargeable batteries. Less stuff to carry and one less cable to route. The actual replacement of the internals was really simple - the hard part was finding batteries that fit.

Since the DC input isn't wired into the on/off switch when it's plugged in it's "always on". I left it plugged in after my last test and the next afternoon the old ass DVD battery still had 1 out of 3 lights - that's around 30 hours later on a 6000mAh DVD battery that's probably 10 years old by now. :o

I sure hope it doesn't take months to give it a checkup and any needed repairs...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com