Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Eco-charge XLR > V3 and using a toothpick to spread the V3 pins  (Read 4370 times)

Offline jsfrank

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
I just tried to bump a thread and realized it's in the archives:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,3842.0.html

Here is what I posted:

I have been having the same problem. I used a knife and was probably too careful. It fixed it for awhile. I'll try the toothpick. The cable I have is from Kind Kables. I was thinking of buying another cable from somewhere else, but I guess I would have the same problem? Is it safe to say other more expensive cables would have that same screw in plug? I e-mailed Sonic Sense a couple of days ago and haven't heard back. Are they still in business? 
Austrian Audio OC818 > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
Re: Eco-charge XLR > V3 and using a toothpick to spread the V3 pins
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:07:54 PM »
there is only on connector for the v-3, no matter who makes it.
splitting the pins is the only way to solve the problem. 
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:47:51 PM »
yep.  it's on the v3 end not the cables fault.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:20:42 AM »

The thing that is wierd is that my partner in the V3 bought a couple of lithium batteries and the cable from that wasn't having any problems. I do like that those batteries are lighter and I was considering retiring the eco-charges and buying another lithium to add to the mix, but I probably won't if the toothpick solution works. He has it now so I can't test it out until I get it back before 10K Lakes.

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »

The thing that is wierd is that my partner in the V3 bought a couple of lithium batteries and the cable from that wasn't having any problems. I do like that those batteries are lighter and I was considering retiring the eco-charges and buying another lithium to add to the mix, but I probably won't if the toothpick solution works. He has it now so I can't test it out until I get it back before 10K Lakes.

It's not weird at all, standard barrel tips work just fine, it is just recommended that you secure it with a piece of gaff tape.

I'm really not sure how the rumor that regular tips won't work got started around here, but they are all I will use with mine. I have used radio shack tips and the ones that come with most dvd batteries the only power losses I have ever had was with the official switchcraft tips, including after the pin wedge trick, any side pressure will cause a dropout on mine...but that same pressure will not dropout with standard barrels, I have tried numerous times to force a dropout and couldn't, they provide a very solid connection.

I agree that it is probably time to retire the lead, get yourself 1 or 2 of these and you'll be good to go(cable and right angle tips included ;))
http://tinyurl.com/5400mAh-li-ion-battery

For the record, and not that it needs to be said but, Ed makes great cables, it is the switchcraft connectors at fault, not his cable or workmanship.

Offline jsfrank

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »

It's not weird at all, standard barrel tips work just fine, it is just recommended that you secure it with a piece of gaff tape.

I'm really not sure how the rumor that regular tips won't work got started around here, but they are all I will use with mine. I have used radio shack tips and the ones that come with most dvd batteries the only power losses I have ever had was with the official switchcraft tips, including after the pin wedge trick, any side pressure will cause a dropout on mine...but that same pressure will not dropout with standard barrels, I have tried numerous times to force a dropout and couldn't, they provide a very solid connection.

I agree that it is probably time to retire the lead, get yourself 1 or 2 of these and you'll be good to go(cable and right angle tips included ;))
http://tinyurl.com/5400mAh-li-ion-battery

For the record, and not that it needs to be said but, Ed makes great cables, it is the switchcraft connectors at fault, not his cable or workmanship.

Hmmm. Those are cheap. Are those the ones that you can count on powering the V3 for 5 hours? At that price I may pick up four of them. I think they would weigh as much as one of the lead eco-charges.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:54:03 PM »
Not sure why its not in the archived thread but absolutely the best thing to put in between the pins of the V3 switchcraft power connector is a piece of rubber band

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 08:00:05 PM »
Not sure why its not in the archived thread but absolutely the best thing to put in between the pins of the V3 switchcraft power connector is a piece of rubber band

any idea how it holds up over time with this fix? With the rubber band breaking down does it gum crap up?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 11:33:56 PM »
any idea how it holds up over time with this fix? With the rubber band breaking down does it gum crap up?

Mine is going on four years so far with no problems whatsoever.  I recently unplugged the power cable for the V3 for some bag swapping and did not see any noticeable degradation.  Just used a standard rubber band that was lying around the house.  Nothing special.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »

Hmmm. Those are cheap. Are those the ones that you can count on powering the V3 for 5 hours? At that price I may pick up four of them. I think they would weigh as much as one of the lead eco-charges.

4 "dvd" batterys do not weigh nearly as much as a eco charge.  switch and you will wonder what took so long.  much lighter bag and you can get 5-6 hours on one battery.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com