Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: VHS Transfers?  (Read 9874 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
VHS Transfers?
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:32:43 AM »
Not sure if this is the right forum or not but I've got a huge pile of VHS masters and rarities and I'm looking for someone with a decent video setup to transfer these to DVD.  Lots of stuff from Nashville, old TV broadcasts and the like.

Willing to pay for media costs and also throw in some cash for the work involved.

Anyone interested?  PM me with your setup and we can go from there.

Thanks!
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline sabre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: VHS Transfers?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 02:55:36 AM »
A few things you should look out for when choosing somebody to transfer your tapes.

1. Ensure that they don't use a standalone DVD recorder and that they don't encode straight to MPEG-2
2. Put a maximum of 1 hour on a DVD5 or 2 hours on a DVD9 (dual layer)
3. Ensure that the head switching noise (located at the bottom of the picture) is masked
4. Check whether they use a TBC when digitizing your tapes
5. Check to see if they can process your footage (eg. light DNR, de-noising, chroma correction)

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:01:35 AM »
A few things you should look out for when choosing somebody to transfer your tapes.

1. Ensure that they don't use a standalone DVD recorder and that they don't encode straight to MPEG-2
2. Put a maximum of 1 hour on a DVD5 or 2 hours on a DVD9 (dual layer)
3. Ensure that the head switching noise (located at the bottom of the picture) is masked
4. Check whether they use a TBC when digitizing your tapes
5. Check to see if they can process your footage (eg. light DNR, de-noising, chroma correction)

All of these are really great suggestions...and I'd add that each one, in its own right, is almost equally important to making sure you get a good end product.  It should be fairly intuitive why the first three are important.  Number 4 is huge and I wouldn't attempt a VHS conversion project without a TBC because you'll almost 100% surely have tracking issues that won't transfer properly if you don't use a TBC.  This means that some (perhaps alot) of your digital transfers will end up with annoying tracking glitches if you don't use a TBC.  Number 5 is also quite important because in my experience old VHS recordings/tapes aren't uniformly well preserved.  Seems like every tape I convert needs or benefits from some kind of digital enhancement in post (in my experience, mostly color correction).

FWIW, I have a TBC I may be willing to sell, but I'd probably want more than most people would be willing to pay.  I paid $300 for it some years ago, but wouldn't sell it for less than $200 since I still get some good use from it.

EDIT TO ADD:  It's been a long time since I've touted the benefits of a TBC box, but I'll never forget the thrill I got at the magic it worked on some VHS tapes I had once considered unplayable because I couldn't get them to play in a replacement VHS machine.  Turns out that the tracking was just incompatible between the machine the tape was originally recorded on and the newer machine that I tried to play through.  The TBC did whatever it does to digitally correct the tracking to restore the tape for me.  I was both floored and thrilled to have some old family video restored to new...after thinking they were lost.  Those 2 or 3 tapes alone were worth the price I paid for the TBC.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:08:17 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »
I agree with the above 5 and will tack one more onto the list:

6) Uses an SVHS deck as the playback source (and their receiving gear is SVideo compatable). Having the extra pins for separate chroma/lumina signals is really helpful...

I used to do digitization and duplication years ago (working at a video shop), but I've sold all of my equipment except for the SVHS deck when I moved.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 10:24:30 AM »
You could also use a Pro S-VHS deck with Component outs (Sony SVP-5600/SVO-5800, Pro JVC decks, etc) - I have a SVP-5600 but it needs an overhaul and the component out add on board is not installed - So it just has the connectors.

Pro Video PCIe card or recorder (i.e.Aja Ki Pro Recorder or PCIe boards).

Ideal setup would be

Pro S-VHS (Component Out) > Component In PCIe Board or Component In Capiable HD Recorder
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:32:45 AM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »
Thanks for all the info!  Yes, a standalone burner is a definite no-no.

I hadn't thought about the TBC...that would come in really handy.  Some of this stuff was recorded on a Mitsubishi U52 that seems to have a lot of incompatibility with most other VCRs.

Most of the stuff is fine though, and there are a lot of club shows here in Nashville at the Station Inn with soundboard audio, etc...as well as old KET broadcasts and other interesting stuff.

Any of you guys wanna volunteer?    ;D

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
Ideal setup would be

Pro S-VHS (Component Out) > TBC > Component In PCIe Board or Component In Capiable HD Recorder

I'd add in the TBC (esp if it will accept component), but yes, that's ideal.

On a mostly unrelated note, every now and then I want to pick up an Amiga machine for editing, but I don't have anything to edit anymore.

Any of you guys wanna volunteer?    ;D

We're quickly working up to the necessary pieces for a really good transfer, but not in one location.   :-[
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 12:06:46 PM »
Most profesional S-VHS players/Recorders have TBC built in

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 01:16:33 PM »
if you can afford it, I recommend the Canopus 300
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 01:46:11 PM »
Most profesional S-VHS players/Recorders have TBC built in

I've seen a couple without, but you're right, a good number do. We used to stick a TBC between a couple of ours but it wasn't every time. I'd have to dig out the manual to see if mine does.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 05:27:32 PM »
if you can afford it, I recommend the Canopus 300

Yes, I've owned Canopus ADVC gear in the past and it's the best transfer quality I've seen (and I shopped around a lot before I bought)

The gear I can afford.  It's the time that I can't afford right now and I want to get some of this stuff transferred before it disintegrates and is lost forever.  Surely someone out there wants to take on a project?  Guaranteed good stuff in these 2 boxes... ;D

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »
I would consider it if I hadn't sold my 300 for lack of use :(  Plus I don't even own a VCR anymore.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 05:37:23 PM »
If you can get someone to digitize them to an external harddrive i could color correct the footage and encode to dvd for you.i dont have the time to the actual transfering though.

Offline ben_r_

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »
Just for clarification when you guys say 300 you are referencing something like this guy: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/308864-REG/Grass_Valley_602050_ADVC300_Bi_Directional_Analog_.html right?

And then whats a good capture card to look at? Or would I not need one with something like and just get the video/audio from the FireWire output?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:23:38 PM by ben_r_ »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 05:46:05 PM »
Just for clarification when you guys say 300 you are referencing something like this guy: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/308864-REG/Grass_Valley_602050_ADVC300_Bi_Directional_Analog_.html right?

And then whats a good capture card to look at? Or would I not need one with something like and just get the video/audio from the FireWire output?

Yes, it acts as the capture card.  Nothing else needed

You gonna get one and help me digitize my rare masters collection?   ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com