Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need an ideal Microphone Setup for Canon Camcorder, advice appreciated...  (Read 3579 times)

Offline MarkDuclos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Im new to the board, and relatively new to taping. I film live music, mainly Funky type Jam music.

I started off simply by using a Zoom Q3HD, which made things very simple, but clearly the video quality is not great there.

I am currently using a Canon Hs21 (http://tinyurl.com/8xq98yw) for video with a Rhode SVM Condenser Mic ( http://tinyurl.com/76szhjl ) that Ive adapted to fit the mini hot shoe on the camera for Audio.

For the most part this setup does well for quieter shows, but that is often not the situation. In loud and very bassy situations, the audio just doesn't come out up to par. The recordings seem to lack a rich low end and the bass seems to distort the rest of the audio clarity when things get really loud. I almost prefer the audio from my old Zoom Q3hd. My Canon has a convenient audio level control knob but it seems no matter how i set the audio in really loud situations, it just cant handle audio that well.

I dont know a whole lot about audio equipment, and its hard to tell what may work for me, so Im desperate for experienced suggestions.

My priorities are something that:
- is not to large, nothing larger than the rhode.
-could be mounted onto the top of my camera (i have a mini hotshoe to tripod adapter)
-is good on battery life.
- sounds god
- easy to set and forget
- can run into my mic input on the camera

I did a lot of poking around and see a lot of people having good results with the Sony M10, but im curious if omni-directional microphones would be good in a concert environment (crowd chatter) where im in the back of the room. My other concern is it would be very difficult to monitor the audio level since it would be on top of my camera almost 7 feet in the air.

What other options are there out there like the rhode but of higher quality? I like it because I can just plug the line into my camera and watch the audio level on my cameras rotating screen.

Sometimes I just wonder if Im being overly picky on my sound. Here is an example of one concert where the bass starts to break up the audio a little bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQAgkp7GWrU

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline hellawaits77

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
I use this Sony mic for my Canon HV20.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMMS907-Digital-Recording-Microphone/dp/B00001W0DT/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327646289&sr=8-2-spell

I doubt this will give you higher quality than a Rhode mic, but in my case, it has handled the bass issue you mention very well.  It's on the less expensive side, and may be worth a shot for ya.  Plus it's small, can be easily mounted to your camera.  And I've had the same battery in it for a while.

I just recorded Biohazard about 3 feet from a speaker, and the audio came out pretty good.  Not saying it's perfect, but for a dumpy metal venue, it sounds pretty darn good IMO.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1JTDuyTwI4

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
I think if you get a pre-amp - your troubles would mostly be solved.  Maybe a Church CA-9100.  I realize you want to keep everything compact and aren't looking to add another piece of equipment to your rig - but you're going to continue to struggle with audio issues the way you're currently operating.

Better yet - you need to get a separate rig altogether for recording audio.  Some decent mics, a pre-amp, a separate recording device.  This is how I operate when I'm filming shows.  I run the mics to my glasses or hat, mics go to the pre, the pre to the recorder, I hit the record button, tuck the recorder away - and forget about it.  It's pretty much out of sight and out of mind until the end of the show.  I only have to worry about the videotaping during the show.

You could maybe get away with just getting mics and a pre-amp and using your videocam to record the audio - but I think it's a lot easier to just do the audio completely separately.  You actually end up with two audio recordings this way and that can come in handy in the event something goes wrong with with of the audio recordings.  And of course, not having them connected (running wires from the pre-amp to the videocam) gives you some mobility if you need it.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
The other thing, is if you go with separate mics and recorder, you can put the mics where they sound great. The best sounding spot in the room is rarely where you want to be when filming.

A video that a group of people did at a show I was recording. My mics were hung 15 feet from stage at 12 feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wikWJf9RSDc&feature=BFa&list=SP18A69F5E6EF31805

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
The other thing, is if you go with separate mics and recorder, you can put the mics where they sound great. The best sounding spot in the room is rarely where you want to be when filming.

But...you can only put the mics and recorder where they sound great IF there is somewhere there to watch them for you.  For a lot of people and situations - that isn't the case.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Understood, that's why I focus on getting the best audio possible. If someone else videos,  I make my recording available.

Multi-camera teams often have someone back by the taper section at the club gigs I do, for long shots. Good place to keep the recorder. you can also send a feed from your recorder's lineout to the camera so you have the audio track to sync with later.

Teamwork FTW

There is another active thread about audio for videorecording. Chris Church has chimed in with his recommemdations of preamp and mics..
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.214 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com