Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: would this deck be ok for cassette transfers?  (Read 7520 times)

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Re: would this deck be ok for cassette transfers?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »
Thanks Terry.  I looked at all of those ads last night.  Just not familiar with cassette decks AT ALL to know what's good or not.  If all three were in tip top shape, which would you recommend?  I also have a Sony D6 at my disposal.  The one that actually recorded the masters.  Just need a power cable.  Would that be better?

IMO it's always better to transfer from the deck that recorded the master.  You don't have to worry about azimuth and alignment issues; it will be dead-on.  On the negative side, if you have dozens or hundreds of tapes to transfer, that's a lot of wear and tear for a D6 mechanism. 

I have a D6 and a proper power supply.  It's a Sony AC-D4L, 6V, 650 mA, but no longer available.  Ring is positive, tip is negative.

Nonsense - its a screw with a metal spring behind it - its subject to all sorts of temperature changes, jolts, jars etc...yeah - it might track properly, but you're better off making a sweep with the screwdriver just to be sure.

And the D6 was the worst of all the portable transports - notoriously flaky tracking on those things. Not recommended for transfers...

IMO - Any decent single direction deck is good choice...it doesnt have to be a NAK...

Nope, not nonsense, just your opinion.  I've made some transfers from the D6 that were fine.  There are far more crappy transports than a D6.  And as a general principle, deck choice aside, it is accepted practice that analog tape playback from the deck that recorded it is preferable, although it's true that this refers more to open reel than cassette.  I agree that any decent deck will probably do a good job, if it has been properly maintained.

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »
Thanks Terry.  I looked at all of those ads last night.  Just not familiar with cassette decks AT ALL to know what's good or not.  If all three were in tip top shape, which would you recommend?  I also have a Sony D6 at my disposal.  The one that actually recorded the masters.  Just need a power cable.  Would that be better?

IMO it's always better to transfer from the deck that recorded the master.  You don't have to worry about azimuth and alignment issues; it will be dead-on.  On the negative side, if you have dozens or hundreds of tapes to transfer, that's a lot of wear and tear for a D6 mechanism. 

I have a D6 and a proper power supply.  It's a Sony AC-D4L, 6V, 650 mA, but no longer available.  Ring is positive, tip is negative.

Nonsense - its a screw with a metal spring behind it - its subject to all sorts of temperature changes, jolts, jars etc...yeah - it might track properly, but you're better off making a sweep with the screwdriver just to be sure.

And the D6 was the worst of all the portable transports - notoriously flaky tracking on those things. Not recommended for transfers...

IMO - Any decent single direction deck is good choice...it doesnt have to be a NAK...

Nope, not nonsense, just your opinion.  I've made some transfers from the D6 that were fine.  There are far more crappy transports than a D6.  And as a general principle, deck choice aside, it is accepted practice that analog tape playback from the deck that recorded it is preferable, although it's true that this refers more to open reel than cassette.  I agree that any decent deck will probably do a good job, if it has been properly maintained.

It may be preferable to play back on the original decks for some reasons...

But to say "You don't have to worry about azimuth and alignment issues" just because you have the mastering deck is...nonsense!

Even with the mastering deck, I'd still want to dial it in for each tape...

Cassette decks weren't the most accurate spec in the manufacturing world...lots of moving parts. Portables were particularly susceptible to problems.

The D6 was known for its warbly takeup at the beginning of tapes...and Im not sure its alignment system lends itself to repeated adjustment.

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 07:40:41 PM »
all d6s tend to run slow so playback sounds fast on decks with the correct speed.
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 08:15:51 PM »

It may be preferable to play back on the original decks for some reasons...

But to say "You don't have to worry about azimuth and alignment issues" just because you have the mastering deck is...nonsense!

OK, gotcha, I think I misunderstood what you were originally saying.  Agreed.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
the speed is off on the d6 most of the time. i would use it or buy a deck with adjustable speed or fix it in post
D6 had quartz lock for speed control, but the D6 does have a manual  has speed control

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »
just fired up the D6.  It works!!!  Doesn't sound like the speed is off at all.  More to come...
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »
It's a Sony AC-D4L, 6V, 650 mA

I know when dealing with mA you have to feed it at least the required amount, so in this case 650.  How much over is acceptable?  I found this one at Best Buy.  http://www.dynexproducts.com/products/cables-cords-adapters/DX-AC1200.html  Is 1200mA too much?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:57:29 PM by leehookem »
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Jackpine

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Pinus banksiana
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
That adapter will be fine, make sure to pay attention to polarity.

Denon also made some nice cassette decks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com