Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163639 times)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #285 on: October 10, 2014, 11:49:29 PM »
So the consensus was that if I'm never going to use the 1/4" jacks, then go for the bypass, which I think, means I will never use the 1/4 jacks.

Problem was, by doing the mod, I voided the warranty, and Doug discovered this after doing the mod.

It's ok. I tested the r44 and did a comparison when I had 2. Everyone should try that. The mod is the best $200 I could spend. (Well, actually $300 plus shipping, now.)
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #286 on: October 11, 2014, 12:48:01 AM »
I feel like the fact you were using different mic patterns might have had something to do with it as well.  Not  necessarily the case but it doesn't seem unlikely that more people preferred cards over the sub wide cards from back of the room.

i could see that.  i wish i had two sets of cards to comp, but i did my best.

either way... after extensive use, i really don't see the need for the V3.  the Oade CM R-44 is legit on it's own.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2014, 01:22:54 PM »
So the consensus was that if I'm never going to use the 1/4" jacks, then go for the bypass, which I think, means I will never use the 1/4 jacks.

Problem was, by doing the mod, I voided the warranty, and Doug discovered this after doing the mod.

It's ok. I tested the r44 and did a comparison when I had 2. Everyone should try that. The mod is the best $200 I could spend. (Well, actually $300 plus shipping, now.)

I thought Doug only modded R-44s you bought from him.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline T-90

• ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2014, 07:25:52 PM »
Hasn't been his policy for years...he did the mod on my r44 and I did not purchase from him...I think he realized it was good for biz to adjust that policy
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #289 on: October 13, 2014, 07:29:22 PM »
sync'd two R-44's the other night.  when using the prerecord function, there was an instant 1.5 or 2 second difference in clocks. 

i turned the prerecord off both units and it was synced perfectly.

have not had a chance to check the files from separate records to see if there was drift or not.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »
I think you have to buy modded Marantz gear direct from Doug.

Hasn't been his policy for years...he did the mod on my r44 and I did not purchase from him...I think he realized it was good for biz to adjust that policy
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline T-90

• ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #291 on: October 14, 2014, 08:36:19 AM »
I think you have to buy modded Marantz gear direct from Doug.

I think he stopped that policy as well....this is from his website:

The following Upgrades are available for any Digital Recorders in good working order.
Please note, our upgrade voids the factory warranty.
If we did not sell the machine with an upgrade installed, we warranty only the parts we put in, not the entire machine.
Please contact Doug Oade via E-mail to obtain an RMA number as well as shipping and payment instructions.
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2014, 12:46:33 AM »
OKAY!  here's my experience with syncing two R-44's...

Master:  Brand new Oade CM R-44E (which had a much smaller but BRIGHTER screen... weird)... 

Slave:  ~Five year old Oade CM R-44.

Master had Rode mics + SBD.  Slave had dpa4023's.  Mics on same stand.  synced using a standard 1/8th inch stereo cable.  the only problem that i had was we had to turn off the pre record function.

after 3 hours and 55 minutes.  ZERO DRIFT!

none.  nothing.  zilch.  nada.

everything matched up perfectly. 

so, here is another testimony of a perfect sync.  ymmv.

Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2014, 05:35:38 AM »
OKAY!  here's my experience with syncing two R-44's....

......after 3 hours and 55 minutes.  ZERO DRIFT!

Thanks for the sanity check, justink.  I had a feeling that I wasn't the only one in the universe that can sync two r-44's.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2014, 11:04:36 AM »
Maybe having pre-record turned on is the common problem with un-synced Master/Slave R44s. 

I don't remember much discussion about that, and most users around here would have that turned on most of the time by default.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »

Thanks for the sanity check, justink.  I had a feeling that I wasn't the only one in the universe that can sync two r-44's.

Yup. I recorded sound check with pre record on and noticed that the clocks were off. I turned pre record off for the main two sets and it was perfect. I think people having problems need to check their pre record settings, make sure they are off and try again.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #296 on: October 24, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »
Maybe having pre-record turned on is the common problem with un-synced Master/Slave R44s. 

I don't remember much discussion about that, and most users around here would have that turned on most of the time by default.

Yup. I imagine that might get over looked a lot. It's worth trying out if you haven't had luck in the past.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #297 on: October 24, 2014, 05:26:14 PM »

If you were to dig back to 2009 you could find my posts about the clock syncing on the R-44's.  Per the Edirol(now Roland) techs the clocks are NOT sync'd with the 1/8" cable just the transport functions.  With that being said, it is possible that two units will run perfectly in sync, But it is pure chance.  JUst like the Yamaha CD burner I had that synced perfectly with my DR-680.  Just happened to work.  You just cannot count on the two units running in perfect sync, unless you use something like a USBPre-2 in the chain that allows external sync.  The subject has been kicked around and there are varing opinions but I tend to believe the guys at the factory when they told me that cable did not have anything to do with the clocks on the decks. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #298 on: October 25, 2014, 08:31:15 AM »
But it is pure chance.

But a chance that happens pretty often.  I forget whether anyone has tried monitoring that cable to check whether any signal passes all the time or only when a transport function is used.  But if the clock chips are the same, as would seem likely, you'd expect a pretty high order of consistency, and maybe that accounts for it.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #299 on: October 25, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »

If you were to dig back to 2009 you could find my posts about the clock syncing on the R-44's.  Per the Edirol(now Roland) techs the clocks are NOT sync'd with the 1/8" cable just the transport functions.  With that being said, it is possible that two units will run perfectly in sync, But it is pure chance.  JUst like the Yamaha CD burner I had that synced perfectly with my DR-680.  Just happened to work.  You just cannot count on the two units running in perfect sync, unless you use something like a USBPre-2 in the chain that allows external sync.  The subject has been kicked around and there are varing opinions but I tend to believe the guys at the factory when they told me that cable did not have anything to do with the clocks on the decks.

I'll take magic over some stinkin' factory rep anyday, kirkd  :P :hmmm: :headphones: :wink2:

Seriously, the sync cable has three conductors.  We should find out what each of them is doing.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com