Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New gear Sony HDR-CX260 first impressions and questions  (Read 3685 times)

Offline taperdave

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • my ring of brass lies rusting on the ground
New gear Sony HDR-CX260 first impressions and questions
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »
Well Amazon brought me a new toy for the show Sunday night, definately stealth as far as I know.
I will have to use my old Coresound Cardoids w/battery box as my CA-14/9200 setup wont be ready yet.
Luckily it looks like at least one other local taper will be rolling so I hope to have nice audio (maybe 5.1) to go with the HD goodness :)
I am switching to a Sony M10 with a 32gig mini sdhc card from a Microtrak II w/8gig CF card, so record time should be good to go for all four acts.

I am replacing a pair (wife isn't as into filming as she thought she would be) of Sony CX-110s (HD 1080i 25x optical) with the Sony CX260 - this seems like a fun new camera.

THE PROS SO FAR - slightly bigger screen, better frame rate (28Mbps vs. 24), it shoots in 60p!!, better low light performance (though really at a show we are shooting things that are lit up pretty brightly), supposedly better steady shot (not really tested much), it uses the same battery (Sony NP-FV100, bought 2 of them for CX110s) which looks to give crazy long record times (10+ hours) and I grabbed up a class 10 transend 64gig SDXC card so it looks like 5+ hours of 1080p on the card and another hour on the internal 16gig storage. It also has a 30x optical but says it has a "55x extended zoom" which is apparently not deactivated when you turn of the 350x digital zoom in the settings. Sounds like internal magic of some sort.

THE CONS SO FAR - the new cam doesn't take any external lenses so the nice Sony teleconverter I got for the CX110s is of no use, it also has an integrated USB cable in the hand strap. I'm not sure why this is any better than a plug in cable it just seems like extra bulk. Maybe not all thier users want to hide this puppy :)

I don't have tons of time to play with this before the show, so wondering if anyone else here has this model and can recommend any settings. I am planning on having the backlighting feature turned on as this show will have crazy lights, pyro, etc.  Auto white balance or is there a better method?  Any other tips, pointers or suggestions?

Dave

Offline taperdave

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • my ring of brass lies rusting on the ground
Re: New gear Sony HDR-CX260 first impressions and questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »

trying out posting a pic of screen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com