Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Macintosh Users - It May Be Time for an Antivirus Program  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Macintosh Users - It May Be Time for an Antivirus Program
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:05:01 PM »
http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/296449-flashback-ends-mac-s-no-virus-reputation-experts-say

In short, the days of Mac OS as a small target are long gone.
The US Gov't has already stated that we are loosing the battle against computer malware and that
we (and antivirus makers) are aware of a relatively small percentage of what is in the wild.

If your Mac is on the 'Net, you probably should be thinking about malware protection.

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
Re: Macintosh Users - It May Be Time for an Antivirus Program
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 12:27:16 AM »
I find it amusing that my first thought was somewhat captured in the opening sentence, "A year ago, in the wake of the MacDefender outbreak, I warned Mac users that it's time to install antivirus protection."

It does seem like every year something manages to top the current signal-to-noise ratio on this topic and the security watchdogs try to get people to take notice and do something about it. I agree with the assessments of the experts in the article though, it'll probably take a much bigger event to really make a difference in how the majority of mac users view the problem.

I recommend ClamXav for those interested in protecting themselves
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
If one is using time machine the have backups of everything so it would have to be major for them to care imo
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »
If one is using time machine the have backups of everything so it would have to be major for them to care imo

You just better hope something doesn't come along that installs Windows over your mac os.  That would leave you unable to access time machine backups.

Are time machine backups immune from being infected or wiped?

Does TM prevent your system from being used to do bad stuff without your knowledge - send spam, infect removable media, launch attacks, record justin beaver concerts?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com