Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naztech PB15000 -- My New Favorite Universal Battery  (Read 20979 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Naztech PB15000 -- My New Favorite Universal Battery
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:35:51 AM »
I just bought one of these last week.  Found it at an airport 'gadget' shop here in Pittsburgh.

http://www.naztech.com/naztech-cat-power-banks/285-naztech-product-bp15000-universal-power-bank.html

It's pricey at $149, but the super high capacity, all metal case, and the digital display that reads out in voltage made it a buy decision for me.  So far, I'm very happy with this decision.  The only negative thing I can say so far is, why no 6V setting?

I'm up to 48 hours continuous run-time and have two of four bars still lit.  Tascam DR2D running with the backlight on, internal mics, high gain...using tips that are included in the battery package and the 5V power jack on the Tascam and the USB port on the battery.  I think I'm pretty safe suspending this run-time test and concluding that this will safely run my recorder all weekend for a festival.  :)

----

Details and Specs

Naztech PB15000 Universal Power Bank

High Capacity Back-Up Battery

The Naztech PB15000 Universal Power Bank is the ultimate backup power source for all your mobile devices. With included adapter tips for smartphones, MP3 players, tablets, laptops and netbooks, this is the only backup battery you will ever need. Within its sleek and portable design, the PB15000 packs a colossal amount of power that translates into hours of extra usage. Perfect for road warriors and busy professionals, the PB15000 allows you to spend less time charging your device and more time using it.

USB Port Output: 5V, 200mA (MAX)
    Size: 13mm L x 21mm W x 175mm H
    Output: 9V, 12V, 16V, 18V, 19V, 20V, 21V
    Output Power: 60W (MAX)
    Input: DC 18V-2000mA
    Cycle Times: More than 500 times
    Charge Protection: Short Circuit / Overcharge
    Capacity: 15000mAh/55.5Wh
    Battery: Li-Polymer
    Weight: 400g
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:44:48 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Naztech PB15000 -- My New Favorite Universal Battery
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »
Hmm, better $/Wh than a tekkeon 3450i ($3.40 vs $2.70), but slightly less capacity. Nice deal overall.

Whats the ma draw on the tascam? The naztech specs say it has a max out of 200ma on the usb ports. It would make a great sonosax sx-m2 battery with that 21v setting. A regulated supply, but still.

It's pricey at $149, but the super high capacity, all metal case, and the digital display that reads out in voltage made it a buy decision for me.  So far, I'm very happy with this decision.  The only negative thing I can say so far is, why no 6V setting?

The metal case does look nice (its one thing I don't like about the tekkeon series), what's the actual length on it? I'm guessing 130mm and not just 13.

Also, other than taping gear, what consumer gear uses 6V anymore? My phone, mp3 player (which is ancient), wife's phone, etc all use usb power. Honest question, I don't know.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

kirk97132

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 12:33:17 PM »
Low output on the USB buss, only 200mA?

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »

Page made the same observation.  That actually got by me before now. 

Hmmm...well I`ll give this a try with my DR100mkii and see if there are any issues because the dr100 definitely pulls more than 200ma. 

Actually I was thinking that the dr2d pulled between 300 and 400 because people have reported getting 6 to 7 hours on a pair of alkalines which I think are around 2800mah.

2800 mah / 7h = 400ma or so.

Fwiw, during the 48 hour test of runtime that I did the battery powered the dr2d fine and the was never any heat issues.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:07:39 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
13x21x170 roughly equals 1/2x13/16x7 inches; the pdf spec sheet shows 113x21x175 (4.5x0.82x7.0)which is much more inline with the pictures.

A nice find other than the non500mA USB output but not nice enough for me to ditch the Tekkeon or BatteryGeek 10-14-88 though when one of them dies I'll consider this (or whatever it's updated with when the time comes).

kirk97132

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »
I've tried running my USBPre2 on less than 500 mA and some mics would not work because phantom power was not up to spec.  the preamp seemed to operate ok otherwise...I forget what it specs out at, but my high draw mics were no good. 

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »
13x21x170 roughly equals 1/2x13/16x7 inches; the pdf spec sheet shows 113x21x175 (4.5x0.82x7.0)which is much more inline with the pictures.

Yes, the second size is correct.  This is roughly the same size as a DVD battery, maybe just a tiny bigger.

Page, as far as the 6v setting, I don't know what else might run off of 6v.  In audio gear, I've owned a number of pre/adc's that run from 6v; V3, PSP-2, PSP-3, Mini-me, Mini-MP.  However, if there's not much that operates from 6v anymore, that would probably explain why they didn't include that as one of the settings.  Currently, my preamp, ADC, and mic power supply all operate from variable voltage, but 6v is the lower end of the range in all cases, so 6v would be nice if only to max out the run-time I could get with this battery. 

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 06:50:30 PM »
I've tried running my USBPre2 on less than 500 mA and some mics would not work because phantom power was not up to spec.  the preamp seemed to operate ok otherwise...I forget what it specs out at, but my high draw mics were no good.

OK, good feedback thanks Kirk.  Did the mics work, but just underpowered/distorted or will they just not work at all?  If the answer is that they worked, was it obvious that they were not powered sufficiently by monitoring say your TV or did you have to take your mics out to the venue under high SPL's to determine if there was enough power?  Just trying to figure out what I need to do to make sure everything is either OK, or not.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 07:01:53 PM »

Yes, the second size is correct.  This is roughly the same size as a DVD battery, maybe just a tiny bigger.

Page, as far as the 6v setting, I don't know what else might run off of 6v.  In audio gear, I've owned a number of pre/adc's that run from 6v; V3, PSP-2, PSP-3, Mini-me, Mini-MP.  However, if there's not much that operates from 6v anymore, that would probably explain why they didn't include that as one of the settings.  Currently, my preamp, ADC, and mic power supply all operate from variable voltage, but 6v is the lower end of the range in all cases, so 6v would be nice if only to max out the run-time I could get with this battery.

I totally agree, I've seen lots of portable pro/prosumer audio gear allow 6v, but almost nothing on the consumer end. My D50 takes 6v, but again, it's not a consumer device and I think thats what they are targeting.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »

OK, good feedback thanks Kirk.  Did the mics work, but just underpowered/distorted or will they just not work at all?  If the answer is that they worked, was it obvious that they were not powered sufficiently by monitoring say your TV or did you have to take your mics out to the venue under high SPL's to determine if there was enough power?  Just trying to figure out what I need to do to make sure everything is either OK, or not.
no my mics would not power up.  It was too much draw between the mics and the unit, I cannot remember exactly what the rating was I just know it was under 500mA.  These are mics that require 10mA @ 48volts phantom power.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 08:17:30 AM »
What say you folks about this one? $37.70 SHIPPED - the downside is you will need a Laptop power supply that is compatible to charge it...I don't see a walwart with this unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYPE-61WH-16V-19V-Output-External-Batteries-for-Universal-Li-Ion-Laptop-Battery-/290661416137?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item43acc53cc9#ht_8280wt_1185

61WH 16v-19v (I know that don't help many of us) & USB output

I've almost pulled the trigger to use it just to power my Denecke PS2 for LDC and AMP HUNGRY Avenson STO-2 Omni at festivials...I'm afraid to take those two on the road to a festie as they suck down my old Tekkeon MP3300 half way in a couple of hours...the PS2 says it will accept 6.8 – 18 volts on input

I guess you could use it to recharge your Tekkeon too?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:28:18 AM by Hypnocracy »

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »
What say you folks about this one? $37.70 SHIPPED - the downside is you will need a Laptop power supply that is compatible to charge it...I don't see a walwart with this unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HYPE-61WH-16V-19V-Output-External-Batteries-for-Universal-Li-Ion-Laptop-Battery-/290661416137?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item43acc53cc9#ht_8280wt_1185

61WH 16v-19v (I know that don't help many of us) & USB output

I've almost pulled the trigger to use it just to power my Denecke PS2 for LDC and AMP HUNGRY Avenson STO-2 Omni at festivials...I'm afraid to take those two on the road to a festie as they suck down my old Tekkeon MP3300 half way in a couple of hours...the PS2 says it will accept 6.8 – 18 volts on input

I guess you could use it to recharge your Tekkeon too?

I can't address your comment about charging, however you say that your PS2 goes from 6.8 - 18V.  That means that with this battery you'd only be able to use it at the 16V setting, which wouldn't give you a very long run-time.  If the battery allowed you to run the PS2 with a lower voltage, you could get better run-times.  I'm not sure if you're averse to buying from Hong Kong, but this is the battery I will be buying next and I would think would be a better option to the one you've listed, although again it's from a China supplier instead of US based.  I search the term '5v 9v 12v' on ebay and this battery hits 300 times, so you might be able to find one in the US.  My only concern about this battery is the on/off switch...I'd prefer it without that switch but just like the battery you link to, you can't beat the price/capacity ratio of this battery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-12V-9V-5V-Li-ion-Rechargeable-BatteryPack-CCTV-/280735463462?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item415d233826

kirk97132

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 06:12:55 AM »
I have one of those batteries. I cut down some rubber feet and put them next to the switch as a guard.  It is very easy to hit off with the switch.  Some  other down sides are no meter of any kind on those batteries, and fairly long charge times. 

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »
li-poly scares me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3o_2mwRPdw
especially in a metal case for some reason.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Online mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 04:49:53 PM »

Page made the same observation.  That actually got by me before now. 

Hmmm...well I`ll give this a try with my DR100mkii and see if there are any issues because the dr100 definitely pulls more than 200ma. 

Actually I was thinking that the dr2d pulled between 300 and 400 because people have reported getting 6 to 7 hours on a pair of alkalines which I think are around 2800mah.

2800 mah / 7h = 400ma or so.

Fwiw, during the 48 hour test of runtime that I did the battery powered the dr2d fine and the was never any heat issues.

Just wondering if you had the chance to try it out on the DR100mkii yet?  I have the same recorder and have been looking for a solid remote power source.  This battery sounds great, but I'd like know that it will work well before I buy.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com