Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone recommendations for field recordings..  (Read 11277 times)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Headphone recommendations for field recordings..
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 02:45:31 PM »
Regarding the slight LF bump and isolation, I think you're spot-on with the 280's, acidjack.  They're great headphones but the M50's sound just a shade better, to my ears at least.  One drawback I will point out about the Sennheisers, though, is that I think they're built for "narrower" heads.  If your melon tends to be on the wider side, they can be uncomfortable.

Congrats on the new purchase, Tablet!  They'll only get better as you burn them in and use them more.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »
if you need a lot of isolation, i would recommend the sennheiser HD-25II. These cans are ~$80 more than the m50s.

regardless, Tablet, you made an excellent choice!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline axomxa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it ain't live, it ain't Dead
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 12:26:08 AM »
...I should also add that while I think the M50s sound a lot better, and would be better for the OP's purposes, for louder shows, then Senn HD280s are great for the field because they seem (to me) to have a bit more isolation than the AT's.  As I said, I kept my AT's because I prefer the sound and don't do a ton of in-field monitoring, but I think you more commonly see sound guys using 280s...
Although I have not compared the AT's, I agree the 280's have excellent closure for iso in the field.
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)
Mic Cables: 15' 3 channel GAKable / 15' custom Star Quad / 12' Mogami
Pres/ADC:  Grace V3 / Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod) / Tascam D70 / Sony PCM-D50

Photography rig:
Canon 60D, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate
Etree tapes:  http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=axomxa&cat=0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com