Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for bookshelf Speakers and T amp - budget $300  (Read 17026 times)

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Looking for bookshelf Speakers and T amp - budget $300
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
I want to put together a small bedroom system. I will use it a lot while sitting at my desk but also for when I’m just in my room (Its not bigger than 10’ by 10’). I have a Macbook Pro and a FiiO E10 to use as the DAC. I need speakers and amp and I’m hoping to keep it under $300. It doesn’t need to be a top quality system, I’m looking for a good price to performance ratio. Currently I use speakers that came with a computer in 1996… so pretty much anything will be an upgrade.

For speakers, I’m thinking a model with 4” or 5” woofers. It really depends on how big the cabinet is. Some 5” models are 12” deep and that’s probably too big. While searching around these were some options that looked good in my price range. I’d love to hear any thoughts or advice you guys have. Since they will be on a desk near the wall, having front ported bass would be better, correct?

Cambridge Audio S30
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-S30-N-Speakers-Black-Pair/dp/B004DAN3GQ/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Infinity Primus (4”)
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Two-way-Bookshelf-Satellite/dp/B0044D3R7M/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341167286&sr=1-5&keywords=infinity+primus

Polk Audio TSi100
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi100-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00192KF12/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341167367&sr=1-8&keywords=polk+audio

Polk Audio Monitor 30
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0002ZSFTG/ref=sr_1_60?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341167507&sr=1-60&keywords=polk+audio

JBL Control 1 Pro
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-CONTROL-PRO-Performance-Miniature/dp/B000U2G6VA/ref=pd_sim_e_3
Audioengine P4s look pretty nice, but are a bit out of my price range.

I was thinking of going with T amp. Any thoughts a good quality t amp? I’ve heard there were some quality issues with the Dayton 50w model. What about Topping or MUSE?

This one below looks like an option that would provide enough power.
http://www.amazon.com/Topping-TP20-MK2-TA2020-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B005F5U86G/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341168099&sr=1-9&keywords=t+amp

I'm open to any thoughts as I'm no expert in this stuff.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
Re: Looking for bookshelf Speakers and T amp - budget $300
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 03:09:41 PM »
I would just look at active monitors, it would help you achieve your budget with the best possible results.  Used KRK models run right in that range, and will blow any combo out of the water you can put together for that price.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Denes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Mr. Charlie told me so
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:20:28 PM »
I have done well with sony's stuff.  Never a poor product in home audio, home video, cameras, MP3 on anything.  I got stuff from them 25 years old and still kicking.

I have a big setup a Sony STR-DH100 stereo amplifier with SSF-5000 floor speakers.  I have an A/B speaker switch and have ssb-3000 bookshelf speakers for the other half of the house. 

I know someone with the smaller ssb-1000 speaker and he likes them alot.  My Chiropractor has a ssb-1000 in each room of the office.  The sound is good, but turned up loud being an office and all.

I'd get a 100w amp and just keep it low.  When you want something bigger, you got an amp for it.  You can always buy some bookshelves and put a touch bigger set on the wall.
The side stage is my rigs main stage.

Offline gkatz

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 03:27:56 PM »
I own the Topping TP-30, which is basically the TP-20 with a USB DAC and Headphone out added. I've had it for about 2 years, has worked flawlessly powering my older 75 watt Bose bookshelfs. I also have hooked it up to a pair of 180 watt, 4 way Sony floor standing speakers and it gave those plenty of power as well. I'm surprised because it only is listed to output 15 watts or something. Like any audio device of this sort, it can benefit from a cleaning with deoxit every once in a while. My tp-30 had developed some static from dust collecting in the volume knob. nothing a couple quick spray of deoxit couldnt fix.

definitely happy with the 90 dollars a spent on it, free shipping from China! It only took a week and a half to arrive

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:53:37 AM »
Well a new pair of KRK Rokits (5" model) would be $300 new. Wouldn't I need a preamp though or some way to change the volume? and even though these are monitors they would be good for everyday listening? I definitely might consider these

For discussion purposes, anyone have thoughts on passive speakers? I'm still undecided on which route to go.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:50:42 AM »
I've heard a lot of good things about the AudioEngine A5's. I have the A2's and they are great.

Someone is selling a pair in the YS:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=156635.0
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
I would just look at active monitors, it would help you achieve your budget with the best possible results.

This.  You already have a FiiO E10 which is a good little DAC for the money and don't have to worry about relying on the computer's onboard DAC which is not particularly good.

I've heard a lot of good things about the AudioEngine A5's. I have the A2's and they are great.

Someone is selling a pair in the YS:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=156635.0

And this.  They pretty much fit the bill for what you're looking for.  If I didn't already have a perfectly good set of small monitors, I'd probably be all over these.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 03:33:51 PM »
I own the Topping TP-30, which is basically the TP-20 with a USB DAC and Headphone out added. I've had it for about 2 years, has worked flawlessly powering my older 75 watt Bose bookshelfs. I also have hooked it up to a pair of 180 watt, 4 way Sony floor standing speakers and it gave those plenty of power as well. I'm surprised because it only is listed to output 15 watts or something. Like any audio device of this sort, it can benefit from a cleaning with deoxit every once in a while. My tp-30 had developed some static from dust collecting in the volume knob. nothing a couple quick spray of deoxit couldnt fix.

definitely happy with the 90 dollars a spent on it, free shipping from China! It only took a week and a half to arrive

I've had one for 18 months or so and love it. With my Polk bookshelf speakers it sure beats the hell out of the $50-$100 computer speakers I've used in the past. Sounds like a home stereo. If I need stronger bass then the Polks provide, I use my headphones (ATH-M50's or Sennheiser HD650's).

Mine also developed some static while adjusting the volume control after about 9 months, but I was to lazy to break out the deoxit since it really didn't bother me much. Just sprayed some in, turned the knob back and forth a few times and the noise is gone! Thanks gkatz!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:50:53 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
^^ I considered one of those Topping TP-30 units but couldn't rationalize it since I already have powered monitors and a solid DAC.  Looks like a really nice piece of gear, though.

FWIW, the TP-30's DAC chip is capped to 16-bit and since the OP already has the FiiO (which I believe is capable of 24-bit), it seems a little redundant to get another DAC when that money could be spent towards solid powered monitors.  Just my 0.02.

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. It seems powered monitors are what most people suggest. and yes, the FiiO is capable of 24 bit, but it is not an amp like the topping. It just provides a line out, there is no volume control.

Any thoughts on Audioengine A5s vs. KRK Rokit 5s? Also, anyone have experience in the difference between the Audioengine A5 vs. the Audioengine A5+? the A5+s come in at 400 new. I hadn't planned on spending more than 300 but if there is a big difference I might consider them. Could also get the Rokit 6s for that much too.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. It seems powered monitors are what most people suggest. and yes, the FiiO is capable of 24 bit, but it is not an amp like the topping. It just provides a line out, there is no volume control.

Any thoughts on Audioengine A5s vs. KRK Rokit 5s? Also, anyone have experience in the difference between the Audioengine A5 vs. the Audioengine A5+? the A5+s come in at 400 new. I hadn't planned on spending more than 300 but if there is a big difference I might consider them. Could also get the Rokit 6s for that much too.

I can't speak tp the Audioengine A5's, but I own a pair of KRK Rocket 6's.  They are fantastic.  They blow my old boston acoutic sub sat computer speakers out of the water.  They sound every bit as good or better then my Paradigm SE3mk2's bookshelfs(which I still love as the best non powered speaker).  They are very clean sounding, a tad on the bright side but not much to my ears.  The bass notes are crazy from a speaker this size....  they have both RCA and XLR hook ups, you can tame the Tweeter if needed and man do these speakers crank out the volume.  I am more of a clarity guy verses loud guy...but have no fear they will rock the house....  The Rocket 5's are a tad smaller but I am sure they will give you every bit of enjoyment my 6's do.... better yet just get the 6's....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 04:34:19 PM »
I can't speak tp the Audioengine A5's, but I own a pair of KRK Rocket 6's.  They are fantastic.  They blow my old boston acoutic sub sat computer speakers out of the water.  They sound every bit as good or better then my Paradigm SE3mk2's bookshelfs(which I still love as the best non powered speaker).  They are very clean sounding, a tad on the bright side but not much to my ears.  The bass notes are crazy from a speaker this size....  they have both RCA and XLR hook ups, you can tame the Tweeter if needed and man do these speakers crank out the volume.  I am more of a clarity guy verses loud guy...but have no fear they will rock the house....  The Rocket 5's are a tad smaller but I am sure they will give you every bit of enjoyment my 6's do.... better yet just get the 6's....

Thanks for the input. I just looked up the dimensions of the Rokit 6s and they are 13" tall, 9" wide and 11" deep. Thats probably a little big for my needs... :) My bedroom is probably 12" x 12 so the 5s might be better size wise for my desk. the are 11" tall, 7" wide and 9" deep.

How do you have your 6s setup and how big is the room?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:36:05 PM by JBou »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 08:08:18 PM »

Thanks for the input. I just looked up the dimensions of the Rokit 6s and they are 13" tall, 9" wide and 11" deep. Thats probably a little big for my needs... :) My bedroom is probably 12" x 12 so the 5s might be better size wise for my desk. the are 11" tall, 7" wide and 9" deep.

How do you have your 6s setup and how big is the room?

My room is a 13 x 13 dining room, they sit nicely on my computer desk.  The desk is 30"x48".   Peace OOk
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »
 Klipsch ksb 1.1

http://www.klipsch.com/ksb-1-1-bookshelf-speaker

Handles 75 watts continuos.  65Hz - 20kHz.   Small footprint.  Owned mine for years.  I currently use them as surrounds, but I've used them in all kinds of setups because of their versatility.  You can find them in pairs on ebay for under $100 shipped.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »
I wasn't familiar with Audioengine before this thread, so I did some research. I just bought a D1 DAC/headphone amp. Thanks guys!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com