Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do speakers & SS electronics get damaged by sitting in storage?  (Read 12379 times)

Offline taosmay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Do speakers & SS electronics get damaged by sitting in storage?
« on: September 27, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
For the past 8 years I have had a pair of Dahlquist DQ-32 speakers sitting in a local storage facility. Not temperature conditioned. Our temps. here range from 15 below zero to `95/100 degrees. Is it possible or likely that these have been damaged, from lack of use and in these conditions ?  Until a couple months ago, I also had my McCormack DNA 0.5 dlx ed amp and a McCormack Micro Line Drive also in this storage facility. The DNA 0.5 would not power on, since it now has a burned out fuse which I have yet to replace. I would hope these solid state electronics should be ok, once I get that fuse in there, correct ?
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Do speakers & SS electronics get damaged by sitting in storage?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 12:25:32 AM »
On some speakers the surrounds can deteriorate with age or environment.  They can be replaced.  The amp should be OK with storage, but what caused the fuse to blow?

This^^^

The speaker surrounds (the rubber part that flexes during playback) will probably deteriorate more quickly under those temperature extremes as compared to inside your house...

As for the electronics, unless they got wet, there shouldn't be an issue.  Sometimes dust and/or moisture can cause issues, depending on how well they are packed during storage... 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:19:44 AM »
In very simple terms, if an electronic device has active components, it likes being exercised regularly.  Passive components are more tolerant.  -15 to 100 Deg F is quite a broad range; not quite Mil Spec but demanding nonetheless for domestic gear.  As T Watts said, moisture/condensation would be an issue and if I were to recommend one thing it would be to place the device in a dry, warm room for a while before switching on, to let it acclimatise.  After 8 years, I'd be tempted to open the lid and treat the switches and pots to some contact cleaner.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 11:18:35 AM »
Dust attracts and holds moisture, and that trapped moisture causes corrosion.

That is true for tools and machinery, and also electronics.  That is especially true where dust accumulates in crevices and nooks. Unfortunately, casual cleaning and blowing off dust does not typically remove it from crevices.

There is also condensing humidity.  It can rain inside of an enclosed device.  For example even a 722 is not rated to operate in conditions where there is condensing humidity.  Taping outdoors when it is humid and then cools down and the dew starts forming?  That dew is condensing humidity.

For the best result, seal your stuff in bags with fresh desiccant.  And then box them in cardboard. Wrapping in paper also helps.  The paper/cardboard are great insulators, they are absolutely critical, and will slow down rapid changes in temp and humidity.

Though sometimes it is better not to seal the stuff in bags.  Wrapping in paper and allowing it to breathe can be a better choice.

Also, do not store acids, bleach, chlorine, etc.  Drain cleaners, and similar stuff will emit fumes and those fumes can do a lot of damage.  Sometimes quickly.  Just having them in your garage or basement can cause damage to other stuff stored, and that includes furnaces, clothes driers, etc.  They say corrosion from chlorine and acids can't be completely removed - the ions remain in the metal and the corrosion will start again.

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 01:36:27 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I should definitely look at and feel the surrounds of the speakers, in order to check their condition. I was not planning on using them soon, if they are in good working condition, or repairable, but I should tend to them anyway soon, before they do deteriorate, if they haven't already. They are heavy and fairly big floor standing speakers. A two person job to move them for sure.

Regarding the electronics, I failed to mention that the whole time they were in storage, they were in their orignal, complete packaging. The McCormack Micro Line Drive was in it's plastic bag, foam end padding, and cardboard box. The McCormack DNA 0.5 Amp I don't think was in a plastic bag, maybe, maybe not, but did have it's end foam padding, and inside it's original cardboard box.

I posted a query in the forum at audiogon.com about why the amp was staying in protection circuit mode - that's how I knew something was wrong, and I got a reply from Steve McCormack - the person who owned the company that made the amp. He said:

03-31-13: Stevemcx
Hello Harold,

In all likelihood you have blown one or more of your 4 internal power supply (rail) fuses. These are 6A or 6.3A fast-blow types (5 x 20mm size) that you can hopefully find locally. Replace the blown fuses and you should be back in business.

This probably happened because the amp has not been used in a long time. Now that you are using it again it shouldn't be a problem.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
SMc Audio

So apparently the reason the internal power supply rail fuse blew, was just because it had not been used in such a long time, and should be fine after it is replaced (I'll replace all of them).

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
For the past 8 years I have had a pair of Dahlquist DQ-32 speakers sitting in a local storage facility. Not temperature conditioned. Our temps. here range from 15 below zero to `95/100 degrees. Is it possible or likely that these have been damaged, from lack of use and in these conditions ?  Until a couple months ago, I also had my McCormack DNA 0.5 dlx ed amp and a McCormack Micro Line Drive also in this storage facility. The DNA 0.5 would not power on, since it now has a burned out fuse which I have yet to replace. I would hope these solid state electronics should be ok, once I get that fuse in there, correct ?
Never put electronics in a place you would not sleep, for extended periods of time. Electrolytic capacitors can dry out over time. Making sure things are plugged in an powered up once a month prevents this or at least slows it down. Speakers can be easily damaged because of glue breakdown. And surrounds made of foam can easily break down. Voice coils in speakers can corrode because most of them are copper. So yeah not a good idea.

Making sure something climitizes to your environment does not take days it takes a few hours. And this is only an issue when something is cold and brought into a warm room. Your speakers will work or they will not.. Inspect them for damage and put some signal into them they will work fine or not. Oh yeah might want to check the ports and inside of the speakers for bugs / or small rodents. :) If the speakers did not have grills on them :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »
Hopefully I will be able to get the new fuses this week, and see if the electronics are ok.  They have been inside my home for a few months now.  The speakets do not have ports and the grills have been on, but we will see about the other possible issues...

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:25:10 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I should definitely look at and feel the surrounds of the speakers, in order to check their condition. I was not planning on using them soon, if they are in good working condition, or repairable, but I should tend to them anyway soon, before they do deteriorate, if they haven't already. They are heavy and fairly big floor standing speakers. A two person job to move them for sure.

Regarding the electronics, I failed to mention that the whole time they were in storage, they were in their orignal, complete packaging. The McCormack Micro Line Drive was in it's plastic bag, foam end padding, and cardboard box. The McCormack DNA 0.5 Amp I don't think was in a plastic bag, maybe, maybe not, but did have it's end foam padding, and inside it's original cardboard box.

I posted a query in the forum at audiogon.com about why the amp was staying in protection circuit mode - that's how I knew something was wrong, and I got a reply from Steve McCormack - the person who owned the company that made the amp. He said:

03-31-13: Stevemcx
Hello Harold,

In all likelihood you have blown one or more of your 4 internal power supply (rail) fuses. These are 6A or 6.3A fast-blow types (5 x 20mm size) that you can hopefully find locally. Replace the blown fuses and you should be back in business.

This probably happened because the amp has not been used in a long time. Now that you are using it again it shouldn't be a problem.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
SMc Audio

So apparently the reason the internal power supply rail fuse blew, was just because it had not been used in such a long time, and should be fine after it is replaced (I'll replace all of them).

When a fuse blows it needs to go to a tech plain and simple. Cascading damage in solidstate amps is a real issue. Simply replacing a fuse is foolish. I would take it to a tech tell them that a fuse opened up. If a 6A fuse opened up on this amp there is a serious short somewhere inside the amp. A tech can replace the fuse and slowly power the amp up and measure the current draw if its excessive he or she can turn the amp off before further damage is caused. Anyone that says simply replace the fuse is giving you bad advice. A small repair now before you put that fuse in can save you $$ later on. A small bench charge like $40 - $50 should be all it would take for a good tech to go over it and figure out whats wrong.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com