Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for another digital recorder  (Read 13254 times)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Looking for another digital recorder
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 07:29:13 AM »
For my 0.02c, the M-10 takes a hotter signal than either R-09HR or R-05, and doesn't brickwall as easy as those recorders either.

Is there anything the spec sheet that can quantify thus fir a recorder or can you only really see this from experience using a specific recorder?

I don't have the links to hand, but GuySonic did some tests on the M10 and found that the "level thou shalt not go below" setting (i.e. the levels at which you are still getting accurate peaks on the display, not peaks showing at -6dB but actually a distorted recording), was very low on the M10 (about 1-1.5 out of 10), whereas it is more like 20-ish out of 80 on the R09-HR. So the M10 is more forgiving in that regard. On the spec sheets, nominal input level on M10 is +8dBu whereas R09HR is +2dBu. I think the max input levels might be very similar actually (Guysonic rated M10 max imput level at >+24dBu). The R05 takes quite a bit less hot signal than the R09HR (according to the spec sheets at least, but not many people seem to have trouble using it to be fair).

Offline RAQnasty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2014, 07:55:48 AM »
Thanks for all the good info... M10 is starting to sound like the way to go.  I like the r09-HR and if it werent discontinued id prob just get another due to the comfort level i have with it

Offline wppcproductions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2014, 11:27:43 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.I use the mp3 setting for memo recording and  recording radio shows and radio airchecking.I notice the R 09HR has a better codec system on the lower bitrate .The 128kbps bitrate sounds ok on the M10.

As RAQnasty mentioned .My display on the Edirol sometimes have lines on it.Thats the only downfall on the Edirol.They should of went to the LCD design instead of the OLED.I can see peoples big TVs with OLED technology crapping out in a couple years of use.

Offline RAQnasty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2014, 11:48:31 AM »
youre right - i should have been more careful - the Edirol uses an organic LED, not a LCD.  I first noticed the lines in the spring/summer of this year.  They seem to be getting progressively worse... and I am figuring I only have 3-6 months before the display is completely unreadable...

this also means any second-market units are a ticking time bomb on the OLED

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »
I'd say the M-10 has better metering 

I would dispute that.  The metering on the R-09HR is a lot bigger and easier to see than on the M-10.

My comparison above was to the R-05, specifically "Having had an R-05 for some time I'd say the M-10 has better metering and is a lot easier to adjust".  I have no experience with the R-09HR... 

The M-10 has idiot lights as well (-12 green and before 0 red), so one doesn't need to read the display.  I was of mixed opinion on that at first but given my old eyes I've come to like that aspect.  Blip the green at least occasionally and you're golden...  Running conservative if you see a red flash dial it down slightly.  You probably didn't clip there but you might if you leave it untended. 

I didn't add that the battery life seems better (m-10 vs. R-05) as well though both run nearly forever on a pair of AA's. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com