Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Remote control with levels?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline CreepingDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Remote control with levels?
« on: October 15, 2014, 03:39:50 AM »
Hi all, I will start out by saying that i'm probably still a newbie when it comes to taping, even though technically i've been doing it for years. I have pretty much always used my trusty iriver h120 until it failed last minute, causing me to perhaps review my rig. I did buy a pcm m10 a year or two ago but never used it really. The main thing for me, since it was mostly stealth recordings I do, is that seeing the levels on the remote made things much easier. So my question really, is there a recording unit which comes with a similar remote where I can see the levels? A quick look around and I don't see  any, or at least in my budget range. So if not, is the iriver h1x0 still a good device, or is it best just to change my approach and get into using the m10? It just doesn't feel as conspicuous though.

Thanks!

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Remote control with levels?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 05:28:17 AM »
This will let you use your phone to check the levels...but at that point you might as well check them on the M10.

http://tascam.com/product/dr-22wl/

I have no issues checking levels on my M10 when stealthing. With so many people checking their phones (often) at shows I think most security think the M10 is a phone. Either that or they don't give a shit.

FWIW, I know my gear well enough now that I can guess at the levels before the show. I set them a bit on the low side to make sure I don't go over and then boost the levels in post.

I think you can also set the limiter on the M10 to on, just to be on the safe side, just in case you go over.

I usually set my levels to peak around -10. I have never even come close to going over. Again...boost the levels in post and it sounds fine.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:38:12 AM »
If you need to adjust levels during a show you already have some audio that is subpar.
You know the gear, you know the band, know the venue so you have a ballpark where the level knob should be.
Set and forget.
Make notes if you need to. (date, venue, band, level, margin)

Offline CreepingDave

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 11:18:47 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Its a good point that with everyone checking their smartphones these days, it isn't as obvious as perhaps it was in the past. I never adjust or check levels during a show, it was more for convenience to have it on a smaller remote whilst setting up. I'll get used to the M10 then, it is a better device afterall.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:17:15 PM »
Tascam DR-22 shows levels and adjusts them via smartphone.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 09:28:28 AM »
Dr-22 price point less than M10, but since it's a new product, it isn't yet proven like the M10 in terms of reliability, quality and battery life.  The ability to control levels at a distance has some useful applications, however. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com