Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PMD 661  (Read 4619 times)

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
PMD 661
« on: March 11, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »
So... I've been recording for less than a year with decent results by my standards. That said, the issue I had early on was that this recorder sucked up batteries. I use an phantom power (48v) supply and I'd be lucky to get three hours of record time before having to swap out for another set of Duracells. I came to accept this as 'normal'. Well, I had an incident this weekend while taping at AURA where I was watching the recorder to see if it was going to last through a particularly long set. Towards the end of this set (battery having been on one bar for close to an hour) I noticed that the left channel wasn't recording. The set ended shortly after and I went to trouble shooting, beginning with swapping out the mics to see if one had gone bad. Having done that, the left channel was still not picking up. Next, I replaced the batteries. Bingo! Both channels were back to recording again, and continued to do so for the duration of the festival. Then, a V8 moment. What if my recorder was providing phantom power to the mic? I went through my presets to see if I had missed a toggle somewhere but couldn't find anything. I would have to get back to civilization to continue troubleshooting.

Back home I found my users manual and found a switch on the bottom of the unit that says P48 ON OFF. I've had it in the OFF position with the assumption that the 661 would NOT provide power to the mics in this position. I looked a little closer though and saw a third option for this toggle, which is the LINE setting.

Am I correct in assuming that this is supposed to be in the LINE position?
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Re: PMD 661
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:52:28 AM »
If mikes require P48 and are plugged directly into the 661 xlr inputs..  that switch should be set to "MIC ON P48".
If you are running an external P48 supply and that is plugged into the 661 xlr inputs..  that switch should be set to "MIC OFF P48".
If you are using an external preamp that supplies the P48 and that is plugged into the 661 xlr inputs..  that switch sould be set to "LINE".

.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:25:40 PM »
you might want to also try using a good set of rechargeable NIMH (nickel metal halide) aa-sized batteries.  These batteries can actually provide MORE power than aa batteries in high current situations and have been used successfully by others running PMD661s in the past.  Don't have a clear sense of battery runtimes as I don't run this deck, but since they're rechargeable, you could perform some "run-down" tests recording ambient noise to see just how many hours they'll reliably provide.

Key to having these batteries work well is getting both good batteries -- enloops are widely considered to be the "gold standard" -- and a good charger -- I use a Lacrosse BC-700 http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50 MAHA chargers are also well respected -- these chargers will charge each battery separately and allow for discharge/conditioning/etc.   Thomas Distributing www.thomasdistributing.com is a good source for batteries (enloops, etc.)

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 02:34:11 PM »
I always had run and still run my PMD661 with an outboard battery and have never needed to worry about the battery life due to a Phantom 48v requirement for the mics. 

If you have the money?  just saying, look at upgrading and adding a Sound Devices MixPre-D and use the AES3 D. Out to the Marantz's S/PDIF In.  World of difference!
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 12:26:49 PM »

If you have the money?  just saying, look at upgrading and adding a Sound Devices MixPre-D and use the AES3 D. Out to the Marantz's S/PDIF In.  World of difference!

THIS, the two units complement each other perfectly and can both be powered by a dual output battery like a Tekkeon MP3450 which allows for redundant power backup if you also keep AA's in each of the units.

BTW, if you do use rechargeable batts in your PMD661 be sure to change the battery setting in the menus as the rechargeable batts run at a lower voltage.  Also I'd recommend using LSD low self discharge AA's for your rechargeable AA's.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 12:52:01 PM »
If you have the money...  just saying..  World of difference..
I'd recommend using LSD...

Profound advice!!..  but of course, YMMV.   ;) ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:16:15 PM by uncleyug »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 06:01:36 PM »
I always had run and still run my PMD661 with an outboard battery and have never needed to worry about the battery life due to a Phantom 48v requirement for the mics. 

What do you use? I have a 660 that has started eating batteries, and I was thinking about an outboard battery. (though maybe I should post this in the battery forum...)
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 08:02:54 PM »
Thank you all for the advice and recommendations. I'll be recording on St. Patricks Day and am hoping to see better results. A MixPre-D is definitely on my wish list.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:53:32 PM by ButchAlmberg »
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

DF81

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
Thank you all for the advice and recommendations. I'll be recording on St. Patricks Day and am hoping to see better results. A MixPre-D is definitely on my wish list.

Mixpre-D is a good choice.  You might want to try Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries... I don't think that has been mentioned yet.  Those are the best on the market by far (even better than the Duracell red batteries by 33%).  Other than that you need A) more batteries B) an external battery C) something like a Mixpre-D that runs on two AA's for several hours.

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »
I use the MixPre-D with the PMD661 and I have yet to use my festival battery because I get AC at the one I worry most about. I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in the MixPre-D and in a test with my mics got between 5 and 6 hours with a set. I use a small USB 12000 mAh battery for the PMD661 that in a test gave me almost 12 hours running digital in on it from the Mix-Pre-D. I get the batteries at Amazon for about $13 for 8 so 4 shows means $3.25 a show. I use a fresh set and put the old ones in a box for other uses. The USB battery I got at NewEgg and for a PMD660 make sure it has a 2.1 A output where the PMD661 1.5 A will work (1 A works also). 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com