Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Setting levels for a 4 channel mix  (Read 6268 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Setting levels for a 4 channel mix
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 04:44:12 PM »
There is a Wavelab6 tutorial kicking around here some where send Gordon a pm and he can point you in the right direction.  I find that Wavelab is really easy to matrix a source.  I'd stick with wavelab instead of dropping money on other programs. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:46:10 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »
There is a Wavelab6 tutorial kicking around here some where send Gordon a pm and he can point you in the right direction.  I find that Wavelab is really easy to matrix a source.  I'd stick with wavelab instead of dropping money on other programs.

http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/Wavelab5Matrix_MikeB.pdf
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Online voltronic

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions guys, really excited to experiment. Reaper looks pretty sweet and I think I'll check that out just to try something new.  For the Reaper users, are you using that tool for everything or just the mix process? Meaning will you add fades, convert to 16bit and dither, track out the recording, etc with that tool as well?
I use Reaper for most of the actual "editing" and mixing.  Otherwise, my workflow for concert recording now is:

1. Foobar 2000 for seamlessly joining multiple files of a long recording into one long file.  (This step is only for long concerts where file sizes are over 2GB).

2. Izotope RX:
- Declick module for knocking back applause levels
- Global gain adjustment (if needed)
- Denoise (if needed)
- Render new file

3. Reaper:
- Drop markers, track splits, fades
- Mix multichannel projects
- Render tracks from project region selections (FLAC; same resolution as original recording).

4. Reaper or Foobar:
- Render MP3s for sharing / posting.  If I'm still in Reaper I'll do this from the project the same way as the FLAC files.  If that's not convenient, I import all of the FLACs into Foobar and convert in bulk there (which is SO much faster).

On the rare occasions I'm making CDs, I'll take my 24-bit FLACs back into RX and dither / downsample / decimate there.  Lately I use Foobar with the Sox resampler to do this instead, I can't hear any difference in quality.  Usually I only keep the 24-bit FLAC files around, along with the original files.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 05:46:01 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions guys, really excited to experiment. Reaper looks pretty sweet and I think I'll check that out just to try something new.  For the Reaper users, are you using that tool for everything or just the mix process? Meaning will you add fades, convert to 16bit and dither, track out the recording, etc with that tool as well?
I use Reaper for most of the actual "editing" and mixing.  Otherwise, my workflow for concert recording now is:

1. Foobar 2000 for seamlessly joining multiple files of a long recording into one long file.  (This step is only for long concerts where file sizes are over 2GB).

I found out you can drag and drop multiple files into Reaper, and it'll prompt you to choose between Single Track and Separate Tracks. If you choose Single Track it joins the files seamlessly.

Online voltronic

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 05:57:59 PM »

I found out you can drag and drop multiple files into Reaper, and it'll prompt you to choose between Single Track and Separate Tracks. If you choose Single Track it joins the files seamlessly.
Nice!  I don't know how I never saw that, but thanks for saving me a step!
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com