Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Handhelds with SPDIF inputs  (Read 5441 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
Handhelds with SPDIF inputs
« on: May 28, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »
Aside from the Microtrack, are there any other handheld recorders that support SPDIF?  I'm considering adding an AD2K back into my chain, and would need to replace my M-10.  I first looked at the D-50, but it is optical, not SPDIF.  Larger all-in-ones are out of the questions since I already have a tube power supply and V2.  Need to keep it small.

Thanks,
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Handhelds with SPDIF inputs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:36:13 PM »
I think the TASCAM DR-100ii has it - but you have to ask around about compatibility with your A>D...some of these newer recorders don't play well with older gear...

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »
Not exactly "hand-held", but the PMD-661 has SPDIF input...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
A technicality you may be aware of, but 'optical' is the same SPDIF signal data transmitted via toslink rather than a wired coax connection.

You might look into using a coax/optical SPDIF converter between the AD2K and D-50.  Not sure how well that works, but converters are small and inexpensive and it might fit better in the bag than the obvious route of going to a larger recorder with a coax SPDIF input (R44, PMD661,670,671, FR2, HD-P2, DR680, etc)  I've never used a converter and have no idea how reliable they are.  Although small this does introduce an extra set of connections and something else to power.

What about the Tascam DR110mk2, it's large handheld size and has a wired SPDIF input on a minijack.  Not sure how well it works or if it works with the AD2K.

(some redundancy here, others posted while I was responding and got distracted)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 05:27:38 PM »
The Sony PCM-D100 (and D-50) also has a digital input.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 05:37:10 PM »
When I had both the D50 and D100 neither would take a signal from the Hosa ODL-312 ( AES>Optical ).  I have a PMD-661 and it takes a signal from a SBM-1.  Hoping it will take one from my AD1000--waiting on power cables.  I need to see pics when someone talks about comparison of sizes.  Here are three of the M10 and the PMD-661.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 08:48:55 PM »
Jesse, this may be off base but I don't see how adding an AD2K is keeping it small? Why not go with the DR680 at that point? You'd have the additional channels to run the Tubes & Schoeps at the same time. Plus I question how much better the AD2K is vs today's ADC chips in the full size decks never mind the additional weight of the battery to power it. For me at least,  spending money on ANY 2 channel deck isn't worth it unless I want something small to fit in say a fanny pack for low profile situations & as you know that isn't happening with the Tubes or an AD2K. I'd save the M10 for the low pro Schoeps rig & run a full size deck that has multi channel when I'm running the big guns & multiple mics. Plus the microphones effect the overall sound more than a deck, preamp or convertor. Again, all this is in my opinion & YMMV....
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
Hey Carl-

Thanks for your thoughts.  When I said keep it small, all I was saying is the bag is already full between the toob power supply, the V2 and cables, etc. I don't have room for a full size deck.  I LOVE the AD2k sound and the metering is the best I've ever used.  I wish other decks and gear used the "peak hold" for meters. I probably won't move on this.  Honestly, I bought my V2 back in the fall and still haven't used it.  :-\ 

I agree, the mics and pre are a much bigger percentage of your sound than the AD, but I still lust after the AD2K and believe it to be superior to converters that come in consumer decks.

Maybe I will take your advice though and pick up a d-70 instead so I can run both rigs at the same time or take a board feed. 
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 10:33:12 AM »
Jesse, I agree with you since I'd like to think the AD2K is superior but my point was just that I don't know how much of a real benefit beyond "perceived" improvement there is but to your point the metering is superior & the latest generation of Tascam decks has horrible metering in my opinion.

The DR-70 is amazingly small for its size considering its four channels & would allow you to run two sets of mics or take a board feed, very handy in a lot of the venues I record in. For the price I don't think it can be beat & again in my opinion a much better investment than a two channel deck. The performance of these newest decks are amazing considering the price points vs just a few years ago when we first started taping.

Now, get out there & use that V2 will ya  ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »
haha.  I will.  You convinced me to run the telefunkens at Jay Peak, so it will be the V2's maiden voyage.  ;D
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 12:08:57 PM »
God we are soooo spoiled. I was just listening to 9.3 85 GD taped by the Oades. How'd you like to lug this and a car battery around, and keep it lo pro? Makes a 661 with internal batteries seem tiny.

http://audioidiots.com/Sony/catalogi/1984%20digital%20DE/groot/p014i1.jpg

😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »
Old PCM-Beta setups make DAT look glourious -> esp when you consider you needed Car/Motorcycle Batteries to run for longer periods of time

Old DAT setups make New PCM/DSD recorders look glourious -> in the 90-mid 2000's SLA's (or Gel Cell's as they where called back then) when the one's most of use used.

I remember my bag with 3 SLA's an AD1k and DA-P1 among other gear and having to lug it all over the place - real PITA - at least it only took myself - back in the 80's these PCM setups took teams of people to get in and run.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:21:59 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 12:22:37 PM »
I used to think an m1 was the best thing ever because of the size, even while lugging a preamp and adc around. Now at the size of what, a Denon dat recorder or a little bigger than a d8, a modified 661 or 70d offers high quality preamp and adc and xlr inputs? Crazy.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 12:27:14 PM »
We've all been doing this way too long, we sound like a bunch of old farts   :P

Edit - for the record I am an old fart & I don't miss multiple SLA's in my bag...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:30:22 PM by carlbeck »

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 12:33:53 PM »
Yep.....and I didn't even mention how cool the sizes of the d6 and d3 were after the d5....... :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com