Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's the Pre-amp good for?  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Nielsen81

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
What's the Pre-amp good for?
« on: June 03, 2015, 01:07:42 PM »
Hi guys and girls.

Glenn from Denmark here.
Since I'm going to the Roskilde Festival again this year, I started thinking about getting some recording gear, and since I only know little about recording gear, I wanted to ask the in this forum :)

I know what a batterybox is and I'm pretty sure, I know what it does and how it works, but would I need both a batterybox and a pre-amp, and what's the pre-amp doing for my recording?

Thank you in advance.

Glenn
Have you taped a Nirvana show or do you know anyone who has? Then please contact me or go to LiveNirvana.com

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: What's the Pre-amp good for?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:15:02 PM »
A battery box provides power to the microphones and delivers a signal that can be adjusted by the recorder (ie adjust gain with the preamp inside the recorder).  A preamp pretty much does the same thing, but allows you to adjust the gain with the preamp.  It essentially takes the place of the same circuitry in your recorder.  Depending on your recorder, it may produce better results more often.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 01:16:23 PM »
And have fun at Roskilde!  I went in 1997 and had a blast...  It did rain 4 out of the 5 days and turned the festival ground into a muddy swamp, but it was fun...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline Nielsen81

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »
Do you think I would need a pre-amp if I bought a Sony PCM-M10, or would I by any chance be able to Google ect, if that recorder has a pre-amp inside? :)

Thank you...:)
I have been working there for the last 2 years, which would make this my 3rd year in a row, and I have to admit, that Metallica and Volbeat on Orange Stage is something special :)
Have you taped a Nirvana show or do you know anyone who has? Then please contact me or go to LiveNirvana.com

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »
I actually haven't taped anything in a few years so my experience is out-dated...

That said, I've only seen an M10 once, and that person used a Pre-Amp (AcidJack)...  The Pre-Amp he used was a Naiant Tiny Box (Little Box???). 

I would start another Topic, one asking for experiences running an M10 with/without a Preamp/Battery Box.  You could search for it, but it might be easier to just ask...

Terry

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:37:17 PM »
You'd be fine with a Battery Box and the M-10 most likely running line in.  What type of mics do you have?
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Nielsen81

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 04:02:30 PM »
I actually haven't got any equipment yet, but am looking for some CA-14, which I have heard good about, and I have seen a guy inhere who sells for 90$, which seems quite fair.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 04:22:39 PM »
Hi guys and girls.

Glenn from Denmark here.
Since I'm going to the Roskilde Festival again this year, I started thinking about getting some recording gear, and since I only know little about recording gear, I wanted to ask the in this forum :)

I know what a batterybox is and I'm pretty sure, I know what it does and how it works, but would I need both a batterybox and a pre-amp, and what's the pre-amp doing for my recording?

Thank you in advance.

Glenn

If you're using small mics to make stealth recordings, you don't need anything but a battery box and your M10 if you're using CA-14. I'd plug them into the LINE input; if you can't get good enough levels from that, then plug into the MIC input on LOW with plug-in power OFF.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 05:56:44 AM »
Actually, I run preamps between my mics and recorder, out of preference, but also because I've killed every single battery box I've ever owned. Preamps are really useful if the volumes are low at a gig.

You're running out of time to get mics from Church Audio in time for the festival at the end of this month - I suggest you order pronto, making sure he has the mics in stock, or borrow kit from another taper.

Look at Sound Professionals also, but be careful of the (great sounding) AT853 series of mics - they overload at loud gigs in the standard format SP sell them (2-wire). You'll need to run them 3-wire or get the 4.7k mod.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Nielsen81

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »
Thank you very much for your answers :)
They were really helpful :)

About the mics, I might buy some used, but haven't got answer from the guy selling in "The Yard" yet.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 01:22:38 AM »
Mic-->battery box-->M10 will give you great recordings for loud music. You only need a preamp if you are recording something quiet. Roskilde, by all accounts, is LOUD

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 09:03:46 AM »
Mic-->battery box-->M10 will give you great recordings for loud music. You only need a preamp if you are recording something quiet. Roskilde, by all accounts, is LOUD

Seconded. (Or thirded, counting Acidjack's similar advice.) And for the record, I've gotten excellent results going CA-14 -> battery box -> mic in on an M10 for quieter shows — there's an example here:

http://www.nyctaper.com/2015/07/amy-rigby-may-28-2015-hifi-bar-flacmp3streaming/

My general rule of thumb: If I don't need earplugs, I'm probably better off using the M10's mic in.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com