Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: An $11 Stereo Amplifier - New!  (Read 18053 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
An $11 Stereo Amplifier - New!
« on: August 13, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »
Yeah, right.

No, really!

check it out

I also bought an inexpensive 12vdc regulated power supply from eBay, for $25.  I'll have to get some hookup wire, and, speaker/rca jacks.  In total, under a hundred dollars.
Right now, I'm listening to it in skeletal form, with an old pair of ADS L10 bookshelf speakers, and, it can drive them to too loud. And its sounding quite good in its skeletal form.
I'm going to mount it in a cigar box.
I might even gush about it a bit later.
There are also $50 tube preamps available as a front end. Little Bear Tube Pre

We're into a new era of amplification, it seems.  I'm having fun with it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:07:03 PM by m0k3 »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: An $11 Stereo Amplifier - New!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 05:21:56 PM »
Nice TI class D amp chip.

Small and efficient. Heavy iron is so outdated.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 05:34:09 PM »
Its suggested rating of 100w, might be possible, with something like a 105dB efficient k-horn_type speaker, or hyper efficient single driver system.
With a lower efficiency rig, like the ADS, it is just barely reaching too loud; truly at the bottom of the too loud threshold; some people  might desire more.
It would make a nice desktop office system with less efficient speakers, and near field listening.
Bottomline, disregard their statement of 100w. It is truly speaker dependent. I first tried a pair of Realistic Minims-7's bookshelves, which are rather inefficient. I was not impressed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:35:41 PM by m0k3 »

mfrench

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »
I did try a 24vdc 10amp linear supply on it (industrial, butt-ugly beast). Not that grand of a diff.
The linked Pyramid supply outputs at 14vdc

thanks, Jon!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:54:05 PM by m0k3 »

mfrench

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 05:45:41 PM »
This is my 24v beast (see below)

thats a Lenco turntable motor, for scale (originally posted at a Lenco TT forum; they'd understand the scale)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:27:01 AM by Moke »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 06:04:08 PM »
Can just use a couple car/boat batteries in series to power the thing and lay claim to being a super clean-power supply audio nut.

For max power, feed in the max supply voltage, and dissipate waste heat with sufficient sinking. Same deal small as scaled up, Just ask Scottie-
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »
heh....I scored a Yamaha 100watt on all 6.1 channels for $40 off CraigsList...the seller said it doesn't have HDMI...and I just upgraded.

But it has three Optical and one Coaxial digital inputs...If I need sound from HDMI it comes from my smart TV's optical out...

It drives my old re-foamed Advent 6003's louder than I want to listen to it...

I need to get my old NYAL Moscode 300 up and running...but since my first Yamaha Natural Sound amp...the Moscode doesn't sound so unique anymore...and it will cost more than $40 to fix...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

mfrench

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 12:07:58 AM »
@Hypnocracy
FWIW,.. i went to a local swap meet last weekend, and, found an old silver face Sansui recvr; a G3500. It is the low wattage version of the G series. 
Everything works fine with it, with exception to a slight imbalance, that can be made better by a slight offset of the balance pot.  It did have a DC offset issue, which I found some documents on how to measure and correct.. I did so, and brought both channels to balance, at least to within specs. But the slight imbalance remained. I did remove a slight whoosh on startup by adjusting the output bias.
Its a nice sounding unit, and I've hooked it up to an old pair of Bozak b302a Urban speakers from the late 50's (refreshed with the latest drivers and crossover, by the factory, in the late 70's, before the company went under).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:15:06 AM by m0k3 »

mfrench

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:17:24 PM »
The Cigar Box TPA Class-D amp
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:12:19 AM by Moke »

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 07:31:55 PM »
Smokin'! :P

Nice touch with the volume knob!

mfrench

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 07:37:34 PM »
Thanks!
I've got to finish that out a bit.  I was thinking either a wood dowel inserted and rounded over, or, solid brass tubing build up.

I'm running this into a pair of 4-ohm speakers (the only ones that I have at that rating), and its really lights them up.
The speakers are from this AVR unit:

I'm using the head unit(s) from this Philips rig in my living room/tv area, paired with a set of Realistic Minimus-7 bookshelf speakers, as a soundbar for the TV. So, these speakers are temporarily orphaned.  The Philips rig, if I'm not mistaken is early Class-D. SO I thought that I'd try them with this new little amp, and they're a really nice pairing.
The speakers are quite nice; ribbon tweeter, and single driver bass; ported cabinets; real rosewood veneer.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 09:06:16 PM »
I've got to finish that out a bit.  I was thinking either a wood dowel inserted and rounded over, or, solid brass tubing build up.

Did you save any squirrel paws?

mfrench

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 09:35:23 PM »
Well, I'd have to go dig the last one out of its burrow; too many flies buzzing in and around it now though. Its kind of stinky out there.
I do have the RatsPaw though; my DIY tonearm.

mfrench

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 01:21:27 PM »
OK,... this amp is really impressive sounding.
I'm listening to a quasi-deccatree recording with two Earthworks QTC1 omnis, and a Royer ribbon center mic. This is an acoustic chamber music concert, in a fabulous hall.  I'm truly impressed with what I'm hearing here.

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 09:01:03 AM »
Nice TI class D amp chip.

Small and efficient. Heavy iron is so outdated.

Heavy iron is what is needed for good tube sound. What's old, is new again!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com