Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anew recorder from Tascam  (Read 14044 times)

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Anew recorder from Tascam
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2015, 10:53:36 AM »
This may be a stop gap response to the Zoom F8 until Tascam can put out a truly competitive model.  Given the price, however, I would still probably drop the extra $400 and get the additional channels and functionality of the Zoom (never thought I would hear myself say that).  From a pure audio perspective, however, I don't see that the additional features are worth the up charge over the DR70.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2015, 10:55:39 AM »
If you have the right camera and want to sync with the 701, could make sense for that use, but for pure audio recording, I think it will be a hard sale to convince tapers to spend twice as much to get a 701 instead of a 70d.

Really?  I think many people here, who use thousands of dollars worth of mics to record PA systems, wouldn't blink at the 701's list price for four good sounding channels if it proves to be a reliable recorder.  It's cheaper than the years-old R-44, for example, and way smaller...

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2015, 12:17:20 PM »
If you have the right camera and want to sync with the 701, could make sense for that use, but for pure audio recording, I think it will be a hard sale to convince tapers to spend twice as much to get a 701 instead of a 70d.

Really?  I think many people here, who use thousands of dollars worth of mics to record PA systems, wouldn't blink at the 701's list price for four good sounding channels if it proves to be a reliable recorder.  It's cheaper than the years-old R-44, for example, and way smaller...

Guess it depends on your purpose/usage. If I needed a unit with time code and HDMI, then sure, I'd probably look into this (assuming the card issue is fixed). But those features aren't really necessary for me;  I'd rather spend the same amount of money and get two additional channels on the 680mkii.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:21:54 PM by BonoBeats »
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »
Interesting feature set (SPDIF or AES would've been nice) but with the issues people have been having with the DR-70D, I wouldn't touch this deck with a 10-foot pole.

If the channels match and track well, and the pre-amps are reasonably quiet (the spec sheet says it has an EIN of - 124 dBu) , this will be the smallest four-channel recorder that does that. I'd buy it immediately.

Agreed that small size, quiet preamps, and well-matched/tracking channels are excellent features.  But it's all for naught if your once-in-a-lifetime recording shits the bed because the device decides it doesn't want to play nice with an SD card that's on an approved list (or not). :P  Respectfully, with the other variables that a person has to take into account in a typical taping situation, I'll take my chances elsewhere.

Offline DecomposingCadaver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2015, 07:52:30 PM »
The reliability problems with the 70D are certainly unfortunate, but maybe before we freak out and throw out the baby with the bathwater, let's give the 701D a chance. Let's wait until we get feedback from users - what if the 701D proves to be problem free? Of course, I should take my own advice, since I unfortunately have a habit of getting excited and buying new recorders immediately - that's how I got both the 70D with all its problems and the 60D with the xlr connector problems. But hey, what if the 701 is good and reliable? IOW, let's put the guns down and wait on reports from users.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2015, 10:37:50 PM »
The 70d is sensitive to write speeds and requires very fast write SD cards.

The Korg MR-1 is the same way
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2015, 07:38:17 AM »
Guess it depends on your purpose/usage. If I needed a unit with time code and HDMI, then sure, I'd probably look into this (assuming the card issue is fixed). But those features aren't really necessary for me;  I'd rather spend the same amount of money and get two additional channels on the 680mkii.

For sure.  In my case, I don't need more than four channels and I am attracted by the much reduced size and weight of the 701 compared to the 680.  The specs released thus far look good and it sounds like it may be of a decent build quality (alloy body) too.  I won't be an early adopter, though...   

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2015, 10:48:33 AM »
The reliability problems with the 70D are certainly unfortunate, but maybe before we freak out and throw out the baby with the bathwater, let's give the 701D a chance. Let's wait until we get feedback from users - what if the 701D proves to be problem free? Of course, I should take my own advice, since I unfortunately have a habit of getting excited and buying new recorders immediately - that's how I got both the 70D with all its problems and the 60D with the xlr connector problems. But hey, what if the 701 is good and reliable? IOW, let's put the guns down and wait on reports from users.
what 60d xlr problems?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »
^  x2, what are the DR-60D XLR problems?

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2015, 12:11:22 PM »

I guess I read something about stuck XLR connectors (only the male ones were impacted [branded "Hong Nua"] while the female ones were OK [made by Neutrik]).

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?8181-Easy-DR-60D-mounting-and-it-s-a-nice-recorder/page2

Offline DecomposingCadaver

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2015, 04:34:42 PM »

I guess I read something about stuck XLR connectors (only the male ones were impacted [branded "Hong Nua"] while the female ones were OK [made by Neutrik]).

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?8181-Easy-DR-60D-mounting-and-it-s-a-nice-recorder/page2

Yep, multiple people all over the world reported on the problem of connecting through xlr, and then being unable to pull out the cable out of the 60D due to faulty connectors. Apparently the problem was corrected in the DR-60Dmkii

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
^^  Interesting.  Hadn't heard of that issue but, reading through the thread you linked to, it appears that the female XLR connectors on the -60D are only part of the problem: it's the off-brand/non-compliant male XLR connectors on cables that are getting stuck.  Perhaps it hasn't been noted more here on TS as us tapers tend to use quality cables/connectors? ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com