Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony M10 and avoiding clipping and brickwalling  (Read 6260 times)

Offline nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
Re: Sony M10 and avoiding clipping and brickwalling
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »
I can't speak for SoundPros, but a few of our resident builders here terminate these mics in exactly this way (Robb / Darktrain and Ted / GAKabkes most frequently seen here).  I'd say both of them know exactly what they're doing, and I don't quite understand your conclusion that the different termination constitutes incorrect powering.  The only reason this particular mic (sometimes) comes in a mini XLR is because that's the input connector on the AT wireless packs.  It's still just a 2-conductor cable, so a mini TRS should cover a pair of them just fine.  (Left signal, right signal, ground/power).  If you're concerned about voltage, the specs from AT specify 11-52V powering, and the OP's power supply provides 12V, so no problem there.

They probably terminate them that way w/ the mod. Fact is..3-wire mics are not meant to run from a 2-wire battery box. This is an OLD topic.

No, I'm talking about a factory termination option, where you could then connect them to the 8536 power adapters or to AT transmitter packs.  I'm pretty sure these are 2-wire mics despite the termination.  If I'm wrong about this, someone who knows for sure please set me straight.

A "SoundPros factory" option is not the same as what Audio-Technica fabricates.. they make the mics with mini-xlrs. You can call them yourself and ask them. Soundpros cuts the connectors off of the stock mics and puts on their own.
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 10:46:13 PM »
I can't speak for SoundPros, but a few of our resident builders here terminate these mics in exactly this way (Robb / Darktrain and Ted / GAKabkes most frequently seen here).  I'd say both of them know exactly what they're doing, and I don't quite understand your conclusion that the different termination constitutes incorrect powering.  The only reason this particular mic (sometimes) comes in a mini XLR is because that's the input connector on the AT wireless packs.  It's still just a 2-conductor cable, so a mini TRS should cover a pair of them just fine.  (Left signal, right signal, ground/power).  If you're concerned about voltage, the specs from AT specify 11-52V powering, and the OP's power supply provides 12V, so no problem there.

They probably terminate them that way w/ the mod. Fact is..3-wire mics are not meant to run from a 2-wire battery box. This is an OLD topic.

No, I'm talking about a factory termination option, where you could then connect them to the 8536 power adapters or to AT transmitter packs.  I'm pretty sure these are 2-wire mics despite the termination.  If I'm wrong about this, someone who knows for sure please set me straight.

A "SoundPros factory" option is not the same as what Audio-Technica fabricates.. they make the mics with mini-xlrs. You can call them yourself and ask them. Soundpros cuts the connectors off of the stock mics and puts on their own.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/4ea31b4441f095b9/
"Specifications"

OUTPUT CONNECTOR (POWER MODULE)   Integral 3-pin XLRM-type
CABLE   55" (1.4 m) long (permanently attached to microphone), 0.09" (2.2 mm) diameter, 2-conductor, shielded; free end attached to screw terminals in power module
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:45:10 PM by jefflester »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 11:02:04 PM »

I was never referring to anything SoundPros does as a factory option; I was talking about how they come from AT.

In any case, Jeff has confirmed what I've been saying: these are 2-wire mics.  You seem to be hung up on the connector they come with, but not all of those pins are necessarily going anywhere as far as the mic is concerned; it's simply the connector AT is choosing to use.

Case in point: My 4061s are also 2-wire mics but my particular set is factory terminated to TA4 (a 4-pin connector) for use with Shure wireless packs.  The same mic is also available factory terminated to Lemo, microdot, miniTRS, etc.  None of which changes the fact that they are 2-wire mics, and can be reterminated to those other connections without any negative effects, providing the person doing the work knows what they're doing.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:07:40 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.199 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com