Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using splitters to compare different recording setups  (Read 2331 times)

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Using splitters to compare different recording setups
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »
I would like to compare different recording setups with the same mics, and just wondering if the following would work.

Mics -> Battery Box -> Splitter -> Two different recorders (with PIP switched off)

Is the consensus that this would be a useful way to compare, or that both will just be awful?
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Using splitters to compare different recording setups
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 05:39:54 PM »
Okay, finally got around to trying this at a couple of gigs. I've been trying to compare recordings on my Sony M10 with an iPhone.

First gig was as planned above, with some Church Audio CAFS -> Ugly battery box -> Splitter -> 1. Sony M10 and 2. Tascam iXJ2 + iPhone 4s

I've been wondering about using the iPhone to stealth, and have used it a couple of times previously with the iXJ2 and thought it was quite good. However, using the splitter to obtain a direct comparison of the same mics showed that the M10 was superior.

I was going to give up on the idea, but then wondered if it I bypassed the preamp in the iXJ2 it might be better.

Second gig last night, this time with the Church Audio CAFS -> CA Ugly 2 Preamp -> Splitter -> 1. Sony M10 and 2. Tascam iXJ2 (with levels turned down to zero) + iPhone 4s

Much much better. Little to distinguish between the two.

This might be my  >:D kit for a while.

Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com