Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony M10 Auto Everything  (Read 2836 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Sony M10 Auto Everything
« on: August 25, 2016, 07:22:37 PM »
OK, Don't laugh  :P  Taking the family to see Tears For Fears next month and thinking of running the M10 in a hat--actually have my son do this.  He's interested in taping Tears For Fears after hanging out with old dad for the 5 show SCI run.  He doesn't want to run the full schoeps rig, and might not want to run mics, so the M10 omnis might be all we need.

So, what are the con's if any running the M10 in full auto--tough to monitor levels where the recorder is in a hat or on top of a hat--depending how we do this.

Kid is 15 and 6'2"  :o
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
Re: Sony M10 Auto Everything
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 04:47:47 AM »
If he wants to make things easy I would recommend a small battery powered elektret microphone like this:

Sony ECM-719

It uses a tiny LR44 battery.
It has a clip on the back. As it is omni he can put it on his shirt under his jaw and the cable inside the shirt to make it invisible.
As long as he is silent (turning head and whispering is no problem) he can move around a bit without losing too much of quality.
It has a 'voice/music' switch and it can handle pretty loud shows.
The cable is long enough so he can have the M10 in his pocket or in his hand to check levels and stuff.

I used this mic back in my MD days when I was lazy and wanted to be stealth without external battery power. The mic is small enough to avoid attention. I always had it under my jaw, on my bag strap or hoodie. Noone ever noticed the mic. Hit and run.

I'm sure the M10 has better mics but to gain interest in taping it should be simple. To have the M10 in a hat sounds like a task even if it's small. You don't have any control at all as you can't watch the display. Doing all the work and the sound turns out too hot or maybe not recorded at all. That is a big disappointment. Any omni will pick up some audience chatter but putting it above the head won't really change that.

You can find sound samples if you search "ECM-719" on Dime.

Just a suggestion. We all need to start somewhere and making better and better recordings is a great trigger. Hope it helps.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:19:56 AM »
I understand the desire to keep things simple, but I wouldn't use auto mode for the levels, I suspect they'll be over the place. I'd be tempted to set low and try that.

What I'd really tempted to do is use some mics up to the task of loud volumes, with a battery box, into the M10 and just set the levels at 3 or 4. You could gaffer tape it all together so it's just a simple single unit, little different to the M10 on its own.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
off the top of my head, set the mic to low sensitivity, and the level knob at about 1.75 out of 10. Use the limiter and the hold function! Should be fine if you don't stand in front of the stacks.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com