Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)  (Read 13358 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2017, 10:43:30 AM »
Seems the issue may have been the usb C to C cable I was using.  I was getting a green light and it worked with the Anker (gracefully switched to aa) but I got those same errors twice with it and the hypergear.  Even though it worked once with the Anker I wonder if it was the cause of the lockup I posted about in the main thread.

This is the c to c that many folks are using that may be the root of my errors. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSMOMAR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tested twice with a usb C to A cable.  No errors and it gracefully switched to the internal AA when the usb battery died.  Going to test again just to be sure.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:04:42 AM by Gordon »
Neumann ak40 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km140 > Sound Devices MixPre-6

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (133)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »
So if you use the Anker C to C cable that comes with the battery you didn't have the issue??  Thanks for the info

Seems the issue may have been the usb c to c cable I was using.  I was getting a green light and it worked with the Anker (gracefully switched to aa) but I got those same errors twice with it and the hypergear.  Even though it worked once with the Anker I wonder if it was the cause of the lockup I posted about in the main thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSMOMAR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tested twice with a usb c to a cable.  No errors and it gracefully switched to the internal AA when the usb battery died.  Going to test again just to be sure.
Schoeps MK4's, MK41's> KCY 250/5 Ig> Naiant PFA(60V)> Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »
No!  using the right angle c to c linked above gave me the errors when it should have switched to AA!  this is with the hypergear battery.  using a usb c to A with the hypergear and it switched to AA as it should with no errors.  tested twice now.

I have not tested with the actual anker cable cause I have to use right angle cable in my bag.

This all goes against what others are saying about using usb c to A.  This thread led me to seek out a c to c since that is what is recommended.  my experience is the opposite.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:07:00 AM by Gordon »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2017, 11:06:08 AM »
Does this happen with the Anker battery as well?? 

No!  using the right angle c to c linked above gave me the errors when it should have switched to AA!  this is with the hypergear battery.  using a usb c to a with the hypergear and it switched to AA as it should with no errors.  tested twice now.

I have not tested with the actual anker cable cause I have to use right angle cable in my bag.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2017, 11:09:11 AM »
Does this happen with the Anker battery as well?? 

No!  using the right angle c to c linked above gave me the errors when it should have switched to AA!  this is with the hypergear battery.  using a usb c to a with the hypergear and it switched to AA as it should with no errors.  tested twice now.

See my other issues with the Anker!  I was testing to see if it did the same thing (errors) when the mixpre locked up the other night!  I finished testing yesterday and no lockups and it switched to AA as it should.  Still makes me leery to use that cable.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:14:30 AM by Gordon »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2017, 11:25:55 AM »
Guess I'll stick with my L mount batteries!

Offline jnorman34

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • located in the lush willamette river valley
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2017, 08:18:12 PM »
I have an anker unit, but it’s heavy, bulky, and awkward with the usb cable so I might like to switch to L batteries.  I considered two of the 570 batteries but looked at mah ratings - the 570s are only 2300mah each, so two would give me 4600mah.  From what I read, alkaline batteries can give 2500mah each, or 10000mah total.  That just doesn’t seem right?  How long will the mixpre6 run four mics with phantom power on 4 alkalines vs two 570 L batteries?  Thanks.
jnorman
sunridge studios
salem, oregon
Capture: Schoeps CMC64s/SKM183>Sound Devices Mixpre6

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2017, 08:14:40 AM »
Seems the issue may have been the usb C to C cable I was using.  I was getting a green light and it worked with the Anker (gracefully switched to aa) but I got those same errors twice with it and the hypergear.  Even though it worked once with the Anker I wonder if it was the cause of the lockup I posted about in the main thread.

Tested twice with a usb C to A cable.  No errors and it gracefully switched to the internal AA when the usb battery died.  Going to test again just to be sure.

I've now tested multiple times with both the hypergear and the anker and it does seem it was the c to c cable causing my issues.  with a usb a to c they both switch gracefully to AA when they die.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.149 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com