Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3  (Read 110619 times)

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2017, 11:17:40 AM »
If you click on the main photo you can see three other views. Looks like a dummy MP6 by the gain knobs.

I wish the photo were better but here is a Mixpre-6 specific case

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1340191-REG/strut_str_mp6_fit_field_case_for.html

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2017, 11:34:35 AM »
If you click on the main photo you can see three other views. Looks like a dummy MP6 by the gain knobs.

I wish the photo were better but here is a Mixpre-6 specific case

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1340191-REG/strut_str_mp6_fit_field_case_for.html

Yeah but the photos are very dark, even in the larger sizes..
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2017, 02:56:22 PM »
D'oh!  I didnt see the track list.  Thanks!

That is just the first track, skip forward one! :cheers:

Here are my WSP pulls from last weekend, SoundCloud stream, torrents are on etree:

https://soundcloud.com/nolamule/sets/wsp-20170623-redrocks-mk41-nolamule
https://soundcloud.com/nolamule/sets/wsp-20170624-redrocks-mk41-nolamule
https://soundcloud.com/nolamule/sets/wsp-20170625-redrocks-mk41-nolamule

I love the recorder and think it sounds great! I had no issues running in custom mode and had great results with 8 AA Enloope Pro batteries. I am working on a L-Mount battery solution now for longer run time.  :guitarist: :headphones:

All three of those links are mostly tuning.  Anything with more music on them?
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2017, 05:41:47 PM »
Thanks Todd, this is super helpful. I have one coming soon, and this seems to reflect my general experiences with SD (limited to owning a USBPre2 and playing with others' 744ts). If you're not willing to learn how the menus work, these aren't for you; it seems to me like a difference in actual pro gear and the prosumer stuff like the F8 (great deck, keeping mind) and R-44 (also great, even easier to use).

Sounds like I will just save a simple 2-mic config, a 4mic w/ 2 phantom, a 4mic w/ 4 phantom and maybe a 4mic + 5/6 and be done with it. Sounds awesome!

So I have used my Mixpre-6 for 8 shows so far. While I like it quite a bit in general, I would have to also say I've had a lot of issues also...
... I found using advanced mode instead works out much better....

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess I can add some of mine too.  I've recorded using the MP6 for 4 shows now.  I will say, I've used advanced mode, and it seems like that is much more straight forward and has less hiccups.

I guess I should be test to be positive, but I'm pretty sure my previous settings are saved between power cycles (in advanced mode anyway).  Definitely saved between power cycles, not sure if they haven't even been saved when no power is available (4AA pack taken off briefly to access SD card, no USB power).

I have set up profiles:  one profile for 4 mics in all requiring phantom, one profile for 2ch mic recording with phantom, one profile for 4ch recording using 2 mics with phantom and 2 channels line in without phantom (all using XLR inputs).  I haven't set up a profile yet that includes channels 5-6 on the aux input.  Regarding configuration saving between power cycles, I've done on the fly adjustments to the profiles to change the gain levels compared to the saved profile, and the changed gain setting has been saved after power cycles.

You can set up the * key on the front for different functions.  I have mine set up to access the menus for Channels 5 and 6.  This makes it much quicker and easier to arm and use channels 5-6, much more like the menu availability for Channels 1-4.

Other than the first outing, I have been using a 20,000mah USB-C battery and using a USB-C to USB-C cable for the power connection.  (Mine is a Jackery USB battery, which seems like a lower cost ripoff of the Anker USB-C battery.) Powering with the USB-C battery has worked without problem, avoids the use of the bulky Sound Devices USB-A Y-cable, and still allows for the backup powering by the 4AA battery pack, though I've never bumped over to it as far as I can tell.

I will say, the Advanced mode has worked great for me.  As much difficulty people are having wrapping themselves around the Custom mode with Basic gain, I'd encourage more people to try it.  First time out without any experience I dialed in 18db of gain for one set of mics and 22db of gain for the other less sensitive pair.  My peak ISO levels for the 4 shows I've done across the 4 channels has been in the range of -14dbFS to -12dbFS.  I've just kept the fader levels at 0db gain (noon on the dial) for the LR mix track, which I've just ignored anyway.  Post-processing to add back (normalize) 12-14db of gain and it sounds great.

I'm sure I can dial back the gain beforehand for very loud expected shows (like on stage taping) and add in gain for amplified acoustic music and still guestimate to get myself into the -20db to -10db range.  Limiters are on just in case, but setting up the gain beforehand in Advanced mode, being conservative, and boosting a bit in post works great.  If I were to put it into custom mode with basic gain, I'd probably find myself needlessly riding my levels using the gain knob, and it would just sound worse due to all the level changes I'd have to endure during playback.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2017, 09:45:18 PM »
Thanks Todd, this is super helpful. I have one coming soon, and this seems to reflect my general experiences with SD (limited to owning a USBPre2 and playing with others' 744ts). If you're not willing to learn how the menus work, these aren't for you; it seems to me like a difference in actual pro gear and the prosumer stuff like the F8 (great deck, keeping mind) and R-44 (also great, even easier to use).

Sounds like I will just save a simple 2-mic config, a 4mic w/ 2 phantom, a 4mic w/ 4 phantom and maybe a 4mic + 5/6

If you read through the comments, you will find that many all the issues I elicited were due to known bugs and others an
 indirect byproduct of trying to get around some of these bugs at shows. The fact that I (and others if you read the comments) happened to hit some of them was luck of the draw. I also own a SD702 an have never had any issues with it.  Most of the issues not indicative of me "not knowing the menus".  The 5/6 channel confusion was my fault, but due to me having to switch from XLRs to a 1/8 inch connection about a minute before the band started (the SE tried to give me a XLR connection but the board was old and having issues and could only give me RCAs out. I was not prepared to use 5/6.

As I indicated I like the device, but I , and others, have found the firmware to be very buggy.

When I received the Mixpre-6 it was at firmware 1.0. You really couldn't use SD cards larger than 32GB. A bug.
Firmware 1.01 came out before the first show I used it at. I successfully formatted a 128GB card and it looked like the problem was fixed.

First show, I used microphones and also had a sbd connection, XLRs. I used a 32GB card just in case. I used Custom Mode with gain set to simple, etc but turned also off the l/r recording. I ended up with the low recording gain issue. A bug.

Shows two and three, I used advanced mode, 32GB card and just recorded the SBD, XLRs. No problem except I turned off power between sets and the channel gain had reset to default.

Show four, I used microphones and had a SBD connection, XLRs. I used advanced. No problem except I turned off power between sets and the channel gain had reset to default.

Show five, I just had a SBD connection, RCAs. I used advanced mode. I attempted to use 128GB card. It worked correctly the first set but turning the power off and on again resulted in a "cant create directory structure" error.  I had to turn the power of and remove the battery pack to get it ot work again. I missed the first song. This, I assume is a bug, but I will have to report it to SD.

Show six and seven I went back to  32GB card, advanced, SBD only, XLRs. No problem except I turned off power between sets and the channel gain had reset to default.

Show seven. Advanced, SBD but the board with RCAs again. I was going to record with microphones instead but decided, at the last minute, to go for the SBD but try the 1/8 port instead (first time I had no choice to but use RCAs to XLRs). As I indicated, I found the way you turn on arm these ports strange. Within even the way SD does it on this device,as I said, arming them first nd then changing what the input source is makes more sense to me than showing a seemingly armed but greyed out icon in the menu. This is not a bug per se but what I think is a human interface issue.

I am an early adopter and don't consider it the end of the world that I had issues, especially things like me not knowing how to turn on 5/6 quickly. But for a "pro" device, its a lot buggier than my "Prosumer" F8, and that "Prosumer" device has a decent menuing system in my opinion. Ultimately I agree that SD is more in the Professional realm and that the Mixpre is superior in terms of Pre's etc. I like the device and Im sure my experience will get better with bug fixes and my better understanding how I want to use it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:51:00 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2017, 11:58:27 PM »
Firmware 1.11

I had two presets saved internally and 4 saved on my SD Card.  I just reformatted my SD card and now there are only two saved internally.  Note to self...
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »
I only ever get to do two channel and 90% $tealth, this thing makes no sense for me. Even if it sounds 10% better or whatever. The gear slut in me wants one but it will just sit there.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2017, 10:15:55 PM »
Anyone interested on a MixPre 6 channel 5/6 recording, this is with an SD USBPre2 as the pre...

Archive:
https://archive.org/details/PokeyLaFarge2017-06-15.FirstAveMixPre6Ch5_6SchoepsMK41

etree:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=593991
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:05:39 AM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline celticrogues

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2017, 01:27:15 AM »
I have the Indipro adapter you linked to. Works perfectly with the L-Mount sled. I got mine at B&H - they are in stock there.  I run it from a Remote Audio BDS using NP1 batteries. There is an unregulated version as well that's a bit cheaper, but the MixPres can only handle a max of 8.4 V with the L-mount adapter so make sure you get the regulated version if you think your power supply may ever exceed that.

-Mike

any reason this wouldn't work with the l-mount sled?

https://www.amazon.com/Indipro-Tools-2-5mm-Regulated-Battery/dp/B00TQEW9SC

Maybe use it with battery like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-12V-2-In-1-USB-Rechargeable-20000Mah-Li-ion-Battery-Pack-US-Adapter-New-/142236866704?hash=item211dfa5890:g:xrEAAOSwEzxYcFoS

Think the tips match?
Michael Fowler
www.mobilemikesny.com

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »
I'm experiencing a strange problem with time of day on the MixPre-6. When I insert my 64 GB SD card with MixPre recorded files into my Mac computer, the time of the creation of the recorded file is shown as four hours earlier than the actual time it was recorded.

I have changed the Time Zone in the MixPre settings but it has no effect on the time shown on the file. It's always four hours earlier.

Adding to the puzzle is that my 32 GB SD cards do not exhibit this problem. They show the actual time of recording -- and it doesn't matter what the Time Zone setting is.

Anyone else noticed this?

EDIT: I have the latest firmware installed in the MixPre.

YES!
Drivin me crazy.  The deck shows my current time, but regardless of what "GMT" setting, the .wav file shows 4 hours earlier.  (128 GB card)

~have to record the mix tracks, time is screwy, doesn't keep your last setting when you power up -- I'm READY for a Firmware Update!!

I contacted Sound Devices about this time of day problem and got this reply:

"Thanks for the report.  Although we don't have the SanDisk Ultra 64GB, SDXC I card, but have tested other SandDisk Extreme and Extreme Pro and Extreme Plus 64GB cards and 128 GB card successfully without this problem.   Thanks."

So the MixPre-6 is picky about memory cards. Anyone else notice that their recorded files are showing the wrong time of recording besides myself and Tom the taper?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2017, 09:38:33 AM »
Nope. I'm always getting correct time of day.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2017, 10:20:53 AM »
Nope. I'm always getting correct time of day.

Which brand and size of card are you using?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
I'm using a card that I have several of (mainly for use in a camera).

This is 64 Gb Transcend, 300x (45 MB/s). I'm not sure it's anything special: it's seems very weird that your time coding is off.

You are very very very sure you put in the right basic info regarding timezone and the such?

Offline tom the taper

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »
I'm experiencing a strange problem with time of day on the MixPre-6. When I insert my 64 GB SD card with MixPre recorded files into my Mac computer, the time of the creation of the recorded file is shown as four hours earlier than the actual time it was recorded.

I have changed the Time Zone in the MixPre settings but it has no effect on the time shown on the file. It's always four hours earlier.

Adding to the puzzle is that my 32 GB SD cards do not exhibit this problem. They show the actual time of recording -- and it doesn't matter what the Time Zone setting is.

Anyone else noticed this?

EDIT: I have the latest firmware installed in the MixPre.

YES!
Drivin me crazy.  The deck shows my current time, but regardless of what "GMT" setting, the .wav file shows 4 hours earlier.  (128 GB card)

~have to record the mix tracks, time is screwy, doesn't keep your last setting when you power up -- I'm READY for a Firmware Update!!

I contacted Sound Devices about this time of day problem and got this reply:

"Thanks for the report.  Although we don't have the SanDisk Ultra 64GB, SDXC I card, but have tested other SandDisk Extreme and Extreme Pro and Extreme Plus 64GB cards and 128 GB card successfully without this problem.   Thanks."

So the MixPre-6 is picky about memory cards. Anyone else notice that their recorded files are showing the wrong time of recording besides myself and Tom the taper?

My time of day (on the .wav file) issue has resolved since the last firmware update.  At it had least the last time I checked.
I think I had to set the GMT to +4 hrs (I'm eastern time), but will check when I get home.  My card is a 128GB SanDisk, I'll check the "SDXC/Extreme" stuff also when I get home...
MK4V, MK41, MK2XS, AKG 414XLII, CSB
MixPre-6ii, 744t, M10, MT II, SV250, D5, D6
MixPre-2, VST62iu
NBob Actives, KCY 250/5i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com