Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3  (Read 111027 times)

Offline tom the taper

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2017, 04:02:22 PM »
I'm experiencing a strange problem with time of day on the MixPre-6. When I insert my 64 GB SD card with MixPre recorded files into my Mac computer, the time of the creation of the recorded file is shown as four hours earlier than the actual time it was recorded.

I have changed the Time Zone in the MixPre settings but it has no effect on the time shown on the file. It's always four hours earlier.

Adding to the puzzle is that my 32 GB SD cards do not exhibit this problem. They show the actual time of recording -- and it doesn't matter what the Time Zone setting is.

Anyone else noticed this?

EDIT: I have the latest firmware installed in the MixPre.

YES!
Drivin me crazy.  The deck shows my current time, but regardless of what "GMT" setting, the .wav file shows 4 hours earlier.  (128 GB card)

~have to record the mix tracks, time is screwy, doesn't keep your last setting when you power up -- I'm READY for a Firmware Update!!

I contacted Sound Devices about this time of day problem and got this reply:

"Thanks for the report.  Although we don't have the SanDisk Ultra 64GB, SDXC I card, but have tested other SandDisk Extreme and Extreme Pro and Extreme Plus 64GB cards and 128 GB card successfully without this problem.   Thanks."

So the MixPre-6 is picky about memory cards. Anyone else notice that their recorded files are showing the wrong time of recording besides myself and Tom the taper?

My time of day (on the .wav file) issue has resolved since the last firmware update.  At it had least the last time I checked.
I think I had to set the GMT to +4 hrs (I'm eastern time), but will check when I get home.  My card is a 128GB SanDisk, I'll check the "SDXC/Extreme" stuff also when I get home...

My time issue corrected - set at GMT-4:00 for east coast time.
My card is a SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 128GB.
Really since the last firmware (1.11) my only main issue would be the inability to link channels.
MK4V, MK41, MK2XS, AKG 414XLII, CSB
MixPre-6ii, 744t, M10, MT II, SV250, D5, D6
MixPre-2, VST62iu
NBob Actives, KCY 250/5i

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #151 on: July 03, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
I'm using a card that I have several of (mainly for use in a camera).

This is 64 Gb Transcend, 300x (45 MB/s). I'm not sure it's anything special: it's seems very weird that your time coding is off.

You are very very very sure you put in the right basic info regarding timezone and the such?

Absolutely. And I tried all the permutations, i.e., leaving GMT where it was; adding 4 hours; subtracting 4 hours. It made no difference. The time was always 4 hours early with my 64 GB cards.

And as I said in a previous post: whatever settings I tried made no difference to my 32GB cards. They always displayed the correct time.

All these cards were formatted in the MP6.

EDIT: I haven't had a chance to check with the new firmware so maybe it will be resolved for me too. I don't think there was any mention of this problem in the update notes so I didn't bother looking.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:53:27 PM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #152 on: July 03, 2017, 06:07:30 PM »

This is 64 Gb Transcend, 300x (45 MB/s). I'm not sure it's anything special: it's seems very weird that your time coding is off.

You are very very very sure you put in the right basic info regarding timezone and the such?

Absolutely. And I tried all the permutations, i.e., leaving GMT where it was; adding 4 hours; subtracting 4 hours. It made no difference. The time was always 4 hours early with my 64 GB cards.

And as I said in a previous post: whatever settings I tried made no difference to my 32GB cards. They always displayed the correct time.

EDIT: I haven't had a chance to check with the new firmware so maybe it will be resolved for me too. I don't think there was any mention of this problem in the update notes so I didn't bother looking.

The very fact that with either card whatever settings you put in made no difference would possibly indicate that your time was being pulled from your PC or whatever source you are using to look at what is on your card. If adding and subtracting gave you a 4 hour error on one card , then adding and subtracting gave you perfect time on another, than the card is not pulling time from the deck, because if it was than how would it give you correct time no matter what you set in the mix pre. It would seem to be an awfully strange coincidence that the mix pre set at all different times would somehow get your time zone correct, but perhaps your PC or whatever you use to read the card is set for your time zone. I understand that this does not explain the 4 hour error, but it seems to indicate that the issue is likely not the deck. Not to mention date created and date modified. Are you getting differences in those categories?
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2017, 09:00:29 AM »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #154 on: July 04, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »

The very fact that with either card whatever settings you put in made no difference would possibly indicate that your time was being pulled from your PC or whatever source you are using to look at what is on your card. If adding and subtracting gave you a 4 hour error on one card , then adding and subtracting gave you perfect time on another, than the card is not pulling time from the deck, because if it was than how would it give you correct time no matter what you set in the mix pre. It would seem to be an awfully strange coincidence that the mix pre set at all different times would somehow get your time zone correct, but perhaps your PC or whatever you use to read the card is set for your time zone. I understand that this does not explain the 4 hour error, but it seems to indicate that the issue is likely not the deck. Not to mention date created and date modified. Are you getting differences in those categories?

I'm not sure I follow your comments, but this time anomaly has only occurred with files recorded on the MixPre-6 and never on any of thousands of files recorded with multiple different recorders using the same computers and MacOSX.

Furthermore, the files were exactly 4 hours off the actual time of the recording to the minute. How could my computer know that? It had to have been written to the card by the MP6.

Anyway I will check with the new firmware and see if it fixed it.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #155 on: July 04, 2017, 11:57:09 AM »
What SD cards is everyone using successfully?  I have a 32GB Sandisk Extreme (80MB/s) but want to find a 64GB card that is solid.  It sounds as if 128's are still a bit questionable.  ???
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #156 on: July 04, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »

It did. Times are now correct on the same 64GB cards that had the problem.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:17:58 PM by dogmusic »

Offline tom the taper

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #157 on: July 04, 2017, 06:51:02 PM »

It did. Times are now correct on the same 64GB cards that had the problem.
GREAT!
MK4V, MK41, MK2XS, AKG 414XLII, CSB
MixPre-6ii, 744t, M10, MT II, SV250, D5, D6
MixPre-2, VST62iu
NBob Actives, KCY 250/5i

Offline woodbine

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »
Couldn't find anything on search, but Pinknoise UK have released a battery cover with voltage regulator and Hirose power in. It's deffo not cheap at £165, but I think anyone with a couple of ounces of solder skills could put this together themselves.
http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/pinknoise-custom-sd-mix-pre-36-battery-eliminator.html
They say the high cost is mainly due to SD price for battery holder.

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2017, 10:09:20 AM »
What SD cards is everyone using successfully?  I have a 32GB Sandisk Extreme (80MB/s) but want to find a 64GB card that is solid.  It sounds as if 128's are still a bit questionable.  ???
I bought the Sound Devices SD card from the Sound Devices website.
https://www.sounddevices.com/products/accessories/media/sam-32sd

It can be found on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Devices-SAM-32SD-32GB-Card/dp/B01MUS45W4
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2017, 11:31:37 AM »
I bought the Sound Devices SD card from the Sound Devices website.
https://www.sounddevices.com/products/accessories/media/sam-32sd

It can be found on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Devices-SAM-32SD-32GB-Card/dp/B01MUS45W4

I'm good on 32's just looking for a 64GB or larger that is reliable.  I guess I will jump on one of these and see if it plays nicely. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5RHD58/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #161 on: July 05, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »

I'm not sure I follow your comments, but this time anomaly has only occurred with files recorded on the MixPre-6 and never on any of thousands of files recorded with multiple different recorders using the same computers and MacOSX.

Furthermore, the files were exactly 4 hours off the actual time of the recording to the minute. How could my computer know that? It had to have been written to the card by the MP6.

I hope the new firmware fixed the time for you so you can operate in accurate time like the rest of us  ;D I use 128GB Lexar cards
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VBNQ1LC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 and 128 GB Sony cards and those have worked great. Good luck!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:59:35 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #162 on: July 05, 2017, 01:01:36 PM »

ive been using delkin device cards. they are an approved card by SD. Adorama has them ,a little pricey but made in the usa and lifetime warranty.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #163 on: July 05, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »
I've been using a 32GB Sandisk Extreme card with no problems but have had issues with the 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro card but have not recorded anything since 1.11 came out.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline imightgotothebeach

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
Does anybody have info on when re-stocks are coming?

It looks like BHPhoto is delayed. I checked Gotham,too, and they weren't sure.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com