Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fabric over mics  (Read 6251 times)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Fabric over mics
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 01:21:32 AM »
why mount mics on shoulders and backs? You get more height when you mount them under a hat.

True but you look suspicious as hell standing there never moving your head.

Only when the music is playing

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 01:48:37 AM »
GREAT links from Ronmac! Thanks! :D

The film and doc soundies tape/strap/glue/hide mics under clothing and/or on to skin every day. I have a small pelican case loaded with items for this.
If you google the following items you will find product usage tutorials:
Hide a Lav
Rycote undercover
Rycote overcover
Rode invisilav
Moleskin for mic placement
Lav belts

While digging those, I found this: DPA Microphones DMM0022 Concealer for d:screet Heavy-Duty 4060, 4061, and 4071 Microphones
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/concealer-for-dscreet-4060-4061-4062-4063-4071

It features a separable construction; the top of the concealer can be separated from the base. This allows you to affix the base to clothing, yet allows the top part to be removed independently.

With the concealer comes a unique, detachable space bracket that secures distance to the clothing. This prevents clothing from touching the concealer; thus preventing the creation of noise. The space bracket clicks in and out of the top of the concealer.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »
^
Good example- the top stainless wire loop is intended for the fabric to rubs against, presenting a smooth "less scratchy" surface.

I use the older non-heavy-duty DPA 406x concealers which are a similar single plastic part without the wire bits, and the clear plastic cover serves the same purpose.  The wire loop probably works better, by providing a bit of air space between the surface and mic element and making it less likely fabric will contact the mic grid mesh.

DPA's hard-rubber boundary mount adapters for these mics work well too, making for a very flat and smooth surface under fabric.  Would be good to incorporate such a wire loop into those as well, but they aren't actually intended for use under fabric.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »
Are the DPA 406x the same size as the Countryman B3, so that could be used with the B3?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
Almost exactly the same size.  I suspect they would work, and possibly in the boundary mounts as well.

I recently gave my good B3 pair away, but I might have some old bad ones in the bin which I can test fit..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »
I probably should have Googled first...

DPA 4060 diameter: 5.4 mm (0.21 in)
Countryman B3 diameter: 5.8 mm (0.23 in)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com