Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorder choice  (Read 1194 times)

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Recorder choice
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2024, 08:41:50 AM »
Didn’t you get a nagra vii 2 years ago? Wouldn’t that still work?
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sd 552/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline deejayen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2024, 12:31:31 PM »
Didn’t you get a nagra vii 2 years ago? Wouldn’t that still work?

Me?  No, although I wish...

Perhaps I'd thought about one, as I've always been interested in portable recorders. but my requirements would have changed in the past year, as it's only then that I started playing acoustic guitar and trying to sing!

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2024, 01:58:48 PM »
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sd 552/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline deejayen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2024, 02:53:07 PM »
just this post at gearslutz made me think you’d already decided on the nagra.

https://gearspace.com/board/studio-stage-mobile-amp-location-equipment/1371721-nagra-vii-sonosax-iphone.html#post15838518

Those were different days, and I ended up not doing anything!  Also, my requirements now are slightly different - I think then I was looking to record different stuff.

My mind is very hazy, but I have a feeling the Nagra 7 was quite a bit cheaper then than it is now.  I semi-remembered it being somewhere in the mid to high £2000's, but it's now around £4800 for the basic model.  The 70th anniversary edition is about £6700.

I'm currently looking for something a fair bit less expensive!  I need to concentrate on my playing and singing, plus purchase mics, room treatment, and also work on mic placement before it makes sense to buy the Nagra.  If I end up happy with my results using a cheaper recorder then I would consider splashing out...

Offline RobBain

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2024, 02:11:50 PM »
Why not consider the little Sony PCM-A10?  Capable, inexpensive, unfussy, ultra portable and developed specifically for musicians.

I'm looking at buying a recorder to record myself singing and playing guitar.  I'd be using a good quality mic (either a dynamic, condenser or ribbon). 

I have the opportunity to buy either a Marantz PMD-661 (Mk1) or a Fostex FR2-LE. 

Both recorders are unmodified, and because I'm in the UK it's unlikely I'd be able to have one of the common mods installed.

Anyway, it would be helpful to know if one of these recorders is a clear winner over the other!
Sony PCM-A10 | Sennheiser MKE 600 / LOM mikroUsi's / Clippy EM172s

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2024, 06:27:05 PM »
Why not consider the little Sony PCM-A10?  Capable, inexpensive, unfussy, ultra portable and developed specifically for musicians.

I'd be using a good quality mic (either a dynamic, condenser or ribbon).

To use mics - as he states is his intention - he would not be able to use the A10 since it has no XLR inputs, P48 or enough gain for a ribbon mic.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com