Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Zoom H4n Pro--Noisy?

(1/2) > >>

gormenghast:
I pretty much don't go to concert anymore except for my kid who's in the HS Winds Ensemble and Jazz Band.  I used a Zoom H4n Pro the other night to record his jazz concert.  Internals.  There is a kid a grade below him who is very talented and played an amazing solo improv that just blew us away.  Of course his dad was sitting next to me and wanted a copy of the show.  He received it and wanted to know more about the recorder--I guess to record his son himself.  FWIW, I think the recording turned out very good.

I was wondering how does one go about reading specs to see how noisy a recorder can be?  Is there anyway to record something and view it in Audacity that would show how noisy or not the recorder is?

rippleish20:
The H4N is fairly noisy from what I can see
EIN gives an idea of Pre-amp noise.

EIN Numbers (I found different sites with slightly different numbers in some cases but this gives an idea. The SDs are more like ~129)

PCM-M10              -122dB
SD7XX                 -133dB
Zoom F8              -127dB
Tascam DR-680    -127dB
Zoom H6              -120dB
Zoom H4N            -107dB

http://wildtronics.com/recorderguide.html

hoserama:
Didn't they advertise they improved the pre-amps with the H4N Pro? As opposed to the original H4N

rippleish20:

--- Quote from: hoserama on November 09, 2017, 10:23:56 AM ---Didn't they advertise they improved the pre-amps with the H4N Pro? As opposed to the original H4N

--- End quote ---

Looks like you are correct,

H4N Pro -120dB

avmonkey:
The H6 has better preamps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version