Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD authoring software suggestions  (Read 4590 times)

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
DVD authoring software suggestions
« on: May 08, 2004, 11:37:16 AM »
I have a ton of miniDv and Digital8 video masters that I want to start transfering to DVD and am looking for some suggestions on the best software.  I currently have been capturing the video via firewire with WinDV and then converting to MPG or MPG2 with TMPGEnc, but since I don't have any DVD authoring software, I have just been creating VCDs for now.  I'd like the DVDs I eventually create to be playable on stand-alone DVD players so the average Joe can enjoy them as well.

First question is are the above freeware programs I'm using any good or should I be using something else?  Do most DVD authoring software also allow conversion from avi to MPG2 or should I keep using the above programs (or something else if you have prefered suggestions).

Secondly, I'd like suggestions on what software to use to either author DVDs from MPG2 or do the whole nine yards if it is prefered to do all of this with one piece of software.  

Lastly, once I get the hang of this, I have many videos with funky audio that I'd like to synch up with DAT/WAV audio before creating the DVD so they are much more listenable, so if possible I'd love software that with these features as well if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline Skydogj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Down in the heat of Mississippi
Re:DVD authoring software suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 05:58:28 PM »
I use TMPGEnc DVD Author right now
but I have Adobe Encore that I need to learn.

it is pretty simple to use TMPGEnc to author them
I capture MINI DV > Adobe Premeire 6.5. then export them after I edit them.

everything I use cost tons of money, but I got them hacked
suprnova is your friend, and if you can just find the demos, you can get the cracks elsewhere. I have done both, and used Kazza to get the programs

if you want links to help files, I might can help you out

Manfretto Black Stacker 13foot
AKG C2000B
Canare L-4E3-2P (15 foot)
Edirol UA-5
JB3

Offline Marshall

• Taperssection Newbie
  • www.mfhdesign.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 12:24:09 AM »
If you use Photoshop for your menus Encore is great. I've had it for 6 days and I feel like im a pro. It integrates with PS so easily.

-mfh

jjfan3405

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 11:44:31 PM »
I use TMPGEnc DVD Author right now
but I have Adobe Encore that I need to learn.

it is pretty simple to use TMPGEnc to author them
I capture MINI DV > Adobe Premeire 6.5. then export them after I edit them.

everything I use cost tons of money, but I got them hacked
suprnova is your friend, and if you can just find the demos, you can get the cracks elsewhere. I have done both, and used Kazza to get the programs

if you want links to help files, I might can help you out

this man knows whats up

+T for knowin' it.

;)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
Re: DVD authoring software suggestions
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 06:46:17 PM »
not freeware but, take the time to learn scenarist.  you won't regret it.

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 01:45:21 PM »
Scenarist = good. Takes time to learn. Print out and read the manual. then read it again and again.

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 07:18:05 PM »
DVD-lab

Much more powerful and flexible than the ulead or tmpeg authoring programs  (which are very stock and bare bones...don't allow much creativity)

DVD-lab isn't much harder to pick up, but it gives you a lot more tools to work with, and let's you be much more creative in the authoring process.  When I knew nothing about DVD authoring, I picked it up in a matter of an hour or two and was making successful dvds. 
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline mizary

• Taperssection Member
  • Bam!
    • Go buy some Elvis stuff!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 09:26:48 AM »
I've used Encore 1.0...  Hmmm...  looks like 1.5 is out now. $549

I liked it.  Nice integration with Photoshop.

I used Vegas 4.0 for capture/edit...  (5 is out now, $559)

However I'd like to get something a little more professional.  I may be developing a DVD for a low budget horror flick...  Is there anything different about developing a professional DVD for duplication?  Will any old DVD author app. do it?

I would probably need some pro type features like the ability to have FBI warning screen that the user can not skip past. (encore 1.5 has this now) And DVD-9 support.  Plus sound/motion menus/buttons/etc...

Also I wonder if there is anyway to tell that a DVD was created with cracked software?  That would be BAD.  Plus I doubt the movie people have $1000+ to spend on software.

Hmmm...  It looks like Scenarist is the pro way to go...  I've always steered away because I never needed the pro features...  But stuff like this might be helpful depending on how fancy they want their DVD to be...  Region Coding, Copy Protection, Parental Blocking, 5.1 surround sound, ac3, Closed Captions, etc...

However I'd really like to buy the software.  But Scenarist is crazy $$$.  Hmmm...   I guess I need to talk to the movie folks and find out what they need.

--mizary

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Offline scideadwspph

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 10:53:11 AM »
encore's great, and so is dvd-lab, but i prefer sony dvd architect right now for authoring.  it has a small learning curve, but once you have it down, it's VERY intuitive and you can EASILY make sure every button works the way you want it to, and test it quickly and easily in a dvd player type interface.  i still use dvd-lab for a lot of other things though, but i won't switch from dvd architect for a long time probably.  it's my photoshop of authoring.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 03:41:24 AM »
I capture w/ ScenalyzerLive via firewire.  Capture in avi mode.

Edit w/ TMPGENC

Author w/ TMPGENC DVD Author.  Idiot proof.

When capturing VHS, I use a JVC S9500U SVHS deck > I.DEN IVT-7 TBC > Datavideo DAC-100 > Adaptec Firewire > Scenalyzerlive

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com