Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Sound Devices Mix Pre 10T or 788T ?

(1/3) > >>

down2earthlandscaper:
Given the choice between a Mix Pre 10T or a 788T, which one would you choose, and why?  (Assuming price is not a factor)

justink:
10T for the fact that it has 8 pres and it's cheaper.

voltronic:

--- Quote from: justink on December 09, 2017, 07:12:44 PM ---10T for the fact that it has 8 pres and it's cheaper.

--- End quote ---

The 788 also has 8 pres.  4 of them are mini XLR.

788 has more features, such as simultaneous recording to multiple media, linking multiple recorders to allow for scaling of 16+ tracks, and AES inputs.

If you don't need any of those things, then the 10T is obviously more attractive at the much lower price.  If you're willing to buy used, some 788s have been going for not much more than a new 10T lately.

justink:
eh, you know what i mean regarding the pre's (full xlr).

that said you're right.  we can't have it all (either way).  features are different.

but i think that for our purposes, the 10T is the better buy right now (so long that the firmware doesn't bring more problems, but i'm confident in Sound Devices quickly working them out if so...)

fanofjam:
788 all day long.  The pre's are at least as good as the mixpre series and the 7xx series is an industry standard.  788 has internal hard drive and features out the ying yang that the mix-pre series doesn't have.  I have a mixpre-3 and love it, but it's a mixer/recorder, whereas the 7xx are true top of the line best in class field audio recorders with internal time code.  Obviously, if you put price into the equation, the answer probably changes completely, but since you took price out, the answer is a no-brainer to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version